UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anyone Used Hapar Sulph

Clare

My equine dentist has recommended using Hepar Sulph for Loki (horse). He has complex dental issues which leave him at risk of getting a tooth infection, more so at the moment as his teeth are still drifting.

Does anyone know how much you would give a 650kg horse? EDT was a bit vague on the doseage, but I would like to give it a try over precautionary antibiotics at this stage :flowers:

Edited by Clare
  • Like 1

My equine dentist has recommended using Hepar Sulph for Loki (horse). He has complex dental issues which leave him at risk of getting a tooth infection, more so at the moment as his teeth are still drifting.

Does anyone know how much you would give a 650kg horse? EDT was a bit vague on the doseage, but I would like to give it a try over precautionary antibiotics at this stage :flowers:

Size doesn't matter with homoeopathy. One tablet is as good/effective as a hundred.

But potency and frequency does. Unfortunately the homoeopathic world isn't agreed on the prophylactic use of remedies, so there isn't much information on what to prescribe. This isn't the place for a discussion of the use of prophylaxis in homoeopathy, and I am not an expert (but I am a trained homoeopath) Despite the fact that theoretically it shouldn't work, I have found it an effective preventative when using nosodes, which are prepared from the disease material (for example, you can get Malaria nosode, made from malaria bacteria)When using prophylactic nosodes I generally give 30c once monthly. I've never used something like Hepar Sulph like this, but for want of a better idea, I'd probably use 30c monthly too.

The fun bit with a horse is to get the tablet in without touching it yourself, or allowing it to touch any food. :rolleyes: You might be better getting it in liquid form from Ainsworth's or Helios, and just putting a drop on his nose. He'll lick it off for you, I'm sure!

Hepar Sulph is the remedy used when there is an abcess which has failed to 'find a way out'. When you use it, it will either make the abcess disappear magically, or help it to find a route out. So if Loki already has some infection which you are not aware of it could go either way. It could just clear up and you never know about it, or it could drain, and around teeth that can be painful. If your dentist is a homoeopath he'll have considered Loki's constitution and have a good idea which way he might go. If he's not a homoeopath I'd suggest you consider consulting one before you go this route. There is an extremely good homoeopathic vet in Beaconsfield, and a consultation won't cost you much.

***Legal disclaimer*** Its illegal for anyone other than a vet to treat an animal (but owners must prevent suffering) so I am not prescribing, or suggesting treatment for Loki. I am just telling you what I would do, if he were my horse, and if I decided to give him the remedy.