UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dennis- The Stray Cat

Laura_E

I have already started a thread about Dennis in the rehoming/rescue section: http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/51536-dennis/ But I thought I'd also start a thread for him here for general updates.

Dennis arrived with us on Thursday evening as a very scruffy and bewildered stray that had spent the last week living in one of my work colleagues gardens. Despite attempts to locate his owner nobody came forward, so she decided to try and find him a rescue space, but this was also unsuccessful. So on Wednesday she took him to the vet for a check up and to see what they advised. The vet estimated that he was approx 12 years old and didn't rate his chances of finding a new home. So they contacted me and explained that he was likely to be put to sleep, and of course, I couldn't say no!

So he has been here for two days now and has made himself right at home. For the first 24 hours he didn't really venture out from underneath the dining table, but last night he decided to come and join us on the sofa for a cuddle. Despite his initial complaining, my lodger has now taken to him extremely well, and the feeling is definitely mutual. He also loves Tess and much to her bemusement, enjoys nothing more than rubbing himself up against her. Bobby and Molly have been there usual charming selves-lots of growling and hissing but not much else. rolleyes.gif Dennis seems to realise that they are all mouth and no trousers and doesn't even look in their direction any more. He definitely has the attitude of 'whatever'!!!

I took these pictures this afternoon as it is such a rarity to see the softer side of my lodger...

dennis4.jpg

dennis3.jpg

Excuse the hands down the shorts! rolleyes.gif

So he is here to stay until we can find him a rescue space, or preferably a home. He is such a lovely boy and very undemanding, he would make a lovely companion for somebody and definitely deserves a good home after everything that he has been through.

I have flea treated him and wormed him and will have him vaccinated and chipped once he has finished his anti-biotics. I will also have his claws clipped as they are quite overgrown. He has a cyst on his eye which I will be getting advice on when we go to the vets.

dennis.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis has been here for just over two weeks now and hasn't had any interest or luck finding a rescue space.

Bobby and Molly are still being incredibly hostile towards him, but he is handling it so well. He never retaliates, but doesn't shy away either. He is just a sweet, lovely boy. He loves to spend the evenings on the sofa cuddling up to us and is so affectionate. It makes me sad that my two are being so horrible to him as he doesn't deserve it. sad01_anim.gif

I have tried giving them lots of attention and fuss to make sure that they don't get jealous, but that hasn't worked. I have also tried telling them off and putting them outside when they are being nasty, but that hasn't worked either. If anyone else has got some suggestions they would be gratefully received.

And here's another picture of lovely Dennis......

2010-10-06_135158.jpg

We have decided to keep Dennis here with us instead of putting him through the stress of adapting to yet another home. He is very settled and has made himself right at home, so it seems unfair to move him on at his stage of life.

Unfortunately Bobby and Molly are still acting like the cats from hell, even though they look like butter wouldn't melt.....

bobsandmolly.jpg

But Tess and Dennis are the best of friends and have built their own allegiance. She even cleans him, which is adorable! wub.gif

Aww, congratulations! And how sweet that Tess is Dennis's new buddy! :wub:

Even if Bobby and Molly don't ever love Dennis, I reckon they will probably learn to live with him eventually: he hasn't been with you all that long, after all.

I have 6 cats here in three pairs : there is always some grumping between the different pairs from time to time, but in general they eventually worked out how to live together.

We did a lot of 'time outs' to begin with to teach them what we would not put up with.

Awww, a happy ending for Dennis after all :wub:

My Garfy bullies my girls and has done since I got him 11 years ago. He doesn't get near Mia who's been here for 4 years and spends all her time in the living room with me n the dogs. If Garfy dares to go near her in here, the dogs tell him off and he runs out.

Lily, who doesn't like spending too much time in here, is used to him so just ignores him, which seems to do the trick.

As long as they are all reasonably happy in their pairs, I'm sure Dennis will be fine :flowers:

• 1 month later...

Just got back from the vets with Dennis and have been told that he has cancer. mecry.gif

Because of his age, and the fact that he has a grade four heart mummer, the vet has told me to take some time to think about whether or not I want to put him through the stress of an operation. She said that even if they do operate, there is no guarantee that the cancer hasn't spread to other parts of his body.

If I leave it she estimates that he may have a few months left, if I decide to go ahead with the operation there's a chance he could die from the anesthetic. I really don't know what to do. mecry.gif

One things for sure, I am determined to make sure that he is spoiled rotten for whatever time he does have left.

:GroupHug: That's pants news :GroupHug:

If he were mine I'd probably opt for surgery. When Ezzie was 16 he was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid and I declined surgery and instead tried to control it with tablets. It never did get under control and Ezzie spent two years battling with his illness. With hindsight now I wish I had gone down the surgery route because maybe he would've lived for longer and had a better quality of life in those remaining years. I know it's cancer with Dennis but a similar principal can apply.

Sending lovely Dennis lots of hugs :GroupHug: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: