UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Joe Australian Kelpie 6-7

lowlanderkev

Hi, Im thinking of rehoming my dog Joe. Im starting uni next year and its a hours drive away and i dont have a car so even worse public trasport , i also have a five year old son and im a single parent .

So even though i have the time for Joe just now next year is going to very hard and i feel joe wont get the time he needs, so after alot of thought and trying to work things out i think this may be best for him if i can find him the right home. Idealy he needs a garden, as i live in a small terrace with only a yard and he wont toilet in the yard whitch would make things easyer but i know he will toilet in a garden if need be.

About joe, he is a very loving dog and loves attention, he can be a little submissive and i have worked on his confidence , he was rescued from a farm at paterdale cumbria just bellow helvellyn last year. as he wouldnt work sheep , he is an a austrailian Kelpie and about 6-7 years old. he handnt done anything before me and just stayed in the barn most of the time riddled with fleas while his brothers and sisters went out to work on the fells .

he is very clever and learnt to walk on the lead in no time, and knows sit, lie , wait easly and even better for a treat .

Joe loves to be out on the fells running or walkiing and only lies down when its to warm to wait on me to catch up, he is really in his elemnt on the fells, as this was where he grew up, and he is like a diff dog compared to walking round a town park where all he cares about id sniffing and scent marking. he road runs with me and can do 10 miles although i tend to limmit his running to 5 miles specially in the summer.

as i have a little boy joe will wait in the mornings to be walked after i drop lad off at school so gets walked at 930 am. no silly early morning walks for us unless we plan to go early say to walk the scafells . Joe likes a hour walk in the morning and a hour at night and can have his last walk at night at about 5 pm and hold on till 930 am. but i wouldnt risk any later than that. if he would just pee in my yard ( silly boy )

Joe is freindly to all creatures great and small, ( including cats )

he is very soft, and just likes to sleep in his bed when not out for a walk or to be petted . he likes rules and will follow them if consitant. like he isnt alowed up stairs and has never been upstairs even when left alone . he doesnt bark, only when really excited for his walk or playing chase. doesnt bark at the door when people knock. if carslberg made dogs they would have made Joe . really is a top dog and its very hard for me but i think im doing the right thing for him.

I wont be letting just anybody have him, and would like for them intersted to meet him a couple of times and maybe a home visit if posible. so if you have the time and the love and havea stable lifestyle and can offer him a home full of love then get intouch . Im in no rush to rehome him and its only if the right person comes along. Im in south Cumbria . here is some pics, any questions just ask . thanks http://www.flickr.com/photos/lowland...7624572458939/

Pm me or email [email protected] for more info . thanks

Aww Joe :wub: He reminds me so much of my Angel. Its so sad you're having to rehome him Kev as he sounds like the perfect dog especially with your son. Do you think he may like search and rescue work? A lady offered a home to another Kelpie a few months ago but the owner decided she was going to keep her in the end. I'm sure the lady who offered the home was from the Lake District too :o)

Aww Joe :wub: He reminds me so much of my Angel. Its so sad you're having to rehome him Kev as he sounds like the perfect dog especially with your son. Do you think he may like search and rescue work? A lady offered a home to another Kelpie a few months ago but the owner decided she was going to keep her in the end. I'm sure the lady who offered the home was from the Lake District too :o)

You didn't write anything Kev :rolleyes:

>Oh im sure he would love that . This kind of person who is outdoors alot is the type of owner i would like for him as i have also mentioned him in fell running forums .<BR><BR>When i get the chance im often in the cumbrian mountains, we both did scaf fell pike a few weeks back, took 6 hours and he was back and forth up and down all day . Loves it. <BR><BR>See he was rescued from a farm just below Helvellyn so he has always been out on the fells, he is like a complete diff dog out on the mountains , reallly in his element .<BR><BR>As for mountain rescue i dont know if he would be to old to be taught that , But saying that he is a very nose oriantated dog. going round the park is a nightmare as he just hovers up the paths with his nose seeking all the scents hence why i like to go far and wide where not many dogs pee, as he gets a little obssessed with sniffin .<BR><BR>But he is really quick to learn, like lernt touch really easy, some clicker, could do some agility but he had no interest doing it just wanted to sniff . but been castrated now and is more responsive and easyer distracted when in a heavly scented area like the local park where 100s of dogs are walked.<BR><BR>Wow that was a esay. I know he is the perfect dog , like really is in every way. not your normal hyper active working breed, quite happply sleep for most the day till walking time, doesnt bark really, only when playing. and can be left for good few hours :)

So if you want that woman to get intouch or i can get intouch with that, it would certainly be workth meeting up or having a chat . thanks

sorry about spelling and grammer, i was rushing and pressing the wrong buttons.

me and joe had a 1 to 1 with a dog trainer when we first got him, and he was really impressed how smart joe was and how calm he was. and he just so happens to be the guy who teaches the dogs for the mountain rescue in cumbria and flys all over the world to teach and advise people.

you have now given me the idea to have a word with him as he may know someone. but i will let you get intouch with that woman first though .

sorry about spelling and grammer, i was rushing and pressing the wrong buttons.

me and joe had a 1 to 1 with a dog trainer when we first got him, and he was really impressed how smart joe was and how calm he was. and he just so happens to be the guy who teaches the dogs for the mountain rescue in cumbria and flys all over the world to teach and advise people.

you have now given me the idea to have a word with him as he may know someone. but i will let you get intouch with that woman first though .

Yeah, definately go for it Kev :) It would be wonderful for Joe if he could do such a valuable job.

• 3 weeks later...

Thankyou . if you email me if you do that would be great , thanks

Think email add is above :)

PS you should run Kelpie Welfare :)

Thanks for the compliment Kev but the people who run KW so a fantastic job and I'm just try to help out whenever I can although I wish I could do more.

Where did Joe go in the end? Is he going to be a search and rescue dog?