UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Newfoundland / Big Breed Advice

Abby

I need a bit of advice on big breeds if poss :flowers:

Our relatively new neighbours across the way have 2 newfoundlands, one about 3 years and the other under a year. The neighbours are lovely people but are busy with work and out a lot. When they are out they mostly leave the dogs out in the yard behind big iron gates, which overlooks an open communal car park which then overlooks the centre of the village and our pub.

The problem is the dogs bark, or at least the adult does. And she barks on and off pretty much all day long, and can certainly go non stop for an hour at a time. She's barking as I type this and its a BIG bark, echoing around our lovely hills and generally driving the village bonkers. Because they can see everything that happens in the car park and centre of the village they bark at every passer by, but also I think it's boredom and not liking being left.

I am going to try to have a polite word with the owner, and am hoping he doesn't realise and will do something about it. I need to be careful about it as he is a neighbour and a customer and a good bloke who is generous to us so I don't want to go in heavy.

My question is (in case it turns into a discussion about the dogs), how much exercise would a grown up and a pup newfoundland need respectively? I have no idea, but I very rarely see these dogs out and we are about the village most of the time. Do they need much stimulation or are they pretty passive in their needs? They seem to spend all their time when left lying by the gates watching the world go by.

Any advice would be very welcome :flowers:

Don't know about Newfie's specificly but I'd say a giant breed would need about 11/2-2 hrs exercise a day, Newfies are bred to swim, a lot, and I would have thought they'd need a fair amount of activity, the pup shouldn't be walked far until it's about 18 months old to protect it's growing joints, I think it's something like 5 min's per week of age unsure.gif. Why not look on a Newfie web site ?

There's a Newfie swimming club that use one of the loch's near me, they really do get worked up at the thought of jumping into freezing cold water to rescue someone.....nutters laugh.gif

I'm no expert, but I have two Newfies living next door on my left, and two living two doors away on my right, and they are all pretty keen barkers :rolleyes:

Both sets of dogs get at least three walks a day, through the woods and off-lead so they are running back and forth when they are out, plus a stretch of pavement walking on lead.

Both sets of dogs spend most of the day outside, behind gates, barking whenever someone goes past or if they spot someone coming and going in houses across the green from us. I think I remember one of my neighbours saying they are 'guarding' breeds and so tend to bark, but I may have imagined that.

It's tricky talking to neighbours about their dogs - when Tess was barking when I went to work my left hand side Newfie neighbour (we're in a semi) was really nice about it, and said she was just concerned that Tess was upset. I'm not entirely sure that was what motivated her, but it was a tactful way to approach it.

Ask Mommy Bear as she knows her Newfies.

Good idea!

We had a Landseer Newf from a pup, and we feel all the giant/large breeds should not do long walks until they are more mature. They shouldn't have dogs if they cannot be with them more, even if the dogs have the companionship of one another. Perhaps the pup is out because it needs walking more, otherwise it will have some toileting accidents in the house?

The environmental health department at their local council would advise the locals to keep a noise diary if they were wishing it to be taken further I suppose.

Our Newfie was not a barker, and seemed to be a lot quieter than the ones you mention. In fact they are fantastic at holding the floor down!

Thanks guys :flowers:

I am still waiting for the right time to mention this, but I think the approach your neighbour made Jules was what I was thinking of. Fingers crossed I wil pluck up the courage soon, though I don't know what they can do about it.

Our relatively new neighbours across the way have 2 newfoundlands, one about 3 years and the other under a year. The neighbours are lovely people but are busy with work and out a lot. When they are out they mostly leave the dogs out in the yard behind big iron gates

They may be lovely people, but why on earth do they leave two dogs outside for hours on end, barking or not?

Is there a possibility you could get someone else to approach them to report the barking? I know how hard it is when you're trying to run a business - you don't want to risk alienating them (or their friends!).

I stayed at a guest house once where there were Newfies; they were much-loved, lived in several acres of land and spent most of their day outside while their owner worked alongside them...but they barked at everything which moved. Frankly, that would drive me crazy, but at least they had no close neighbours and we only heard them when we actually walked past.

I once had newish neighbours whose dog barked every time they left him - and since he had access to the garden, that's where he did his barking. I hate confrontation and didn't know them well, so one night when it had been particularly bad, I popped a note through their door, saying how upset he'd sounded and that I knew they wouldn't realise since he stopped the minute he heard their car come back - adding that I'd be happy to go over and let him out for them any time (meaning they could keep him indoors!). I never heard him bark at night again - they never mentioned it, but we're still on speaking terms.

I think it's downright anti-social of people to keep dogs outside and allow them to annoy other people all day long.

Hmm. Wonder what they are going to do when winter comes.

Non of our newfies (6 - but not all at once) were barkers. They were extremely placed and loved to sleep - ex ept when we took them near water. They are a water dog and to rescue you is their pleasure whether you want to be rescued or not!!

Fugees are right - giant breed puppies should not be overwalked 'cos of joints and stuff. Walks for adults are as long or as short as you like, but obviously daily. We walked ours as and when but usually a couple of 1/2+ hours twice a day. We did read of one Newfie who always accompanied his master on his walks - a man who took weather readings at the top of Ben Nevis twice a day!!!!

Basically I think it is cruel to leave any dogs loose in a garden all day. They will be bored and uncomfortable (and soon cold and wet). When we first had Newfies we were both working but Daddy Bear was a fireman and it meant they only spent about 2/3 days a week in the house alone. We never had any complaints about barking.

Got to go - will write more later

Daddy Bear says I'm exagerating - as usual. Apparently the Newfie only went up Ben Nevis once a day :rolleyes:

All dogs need human company and stimulation through interaction.. OK giant breeds don't want to charge about like maniacs - well once they are past the puppy stage - but retriving, especially in water, learning tricks (We taught Coco to count) and simple obedience to please their owners makes their lives more interesting.

What kind of condition do you think they are in - matted coats or scabby elbows? Too thin, too fat. It may be their only problem is boredom and need for attention but that in itself is serious enough.

Try getting the guy to talk about them - most Newfie owners will bore you silly on the subject of their dogs. Try and get his take on the care he is providing for them and if this seems inadequate to you tell him of your fugee friends experiences with Newfs. (Big your knowledge up a bit and include your own expertise as a dog owner!)

Redditch Lady used to own a Newfoundland. Give her a nudge.

Thanks Mommy Bear :flowers: I really do think it's lack of company and stimulation that is the problem. They have a huge yard to move around in while they are left but they spend all their time either standing by the gates and barking or lying in a big furry heap by the gates. Since the people are marketeers they leave very early in the morning and often aren't home until mid-late afternoon.

Another neighbour had a word with him the other night on the 'not sure you're aware but the dogs are barking a lot when you're out and I thought they might be distressed' note and apparently it went in one ear and out the toerh. Thick skinned was their conclusion :rolleyes: We've also learned that several other villagers are going crazy. Hopefully other people will mention it too.

I don't know their condition up close but I am nervous about winter, as they live in a static caravan (albeit a big one) and I don't see them wanting the dogs in all the time (they regularly complain about how much mess the dogs make inside...what a surprise!). There are 5 family members, three dogs (2 newfies) and - oh joy - now also a parrot of some kind which I can hear sqwaking all bally day long :angry: He does know the dogs aren't getting enough attention or exercise, as he's said that to me.

I don't know their condition up close but I am nervous about winter, as they live in a static caravan (albeit a big one) and I don't see them wanting the dogs in all the time (they regularly complain about how much mess the dogs make inside...what a surprise!). There are 5 family members, three dogs (2 newfies) and - oh joy - now also a parrot of some kind which I can hear sqwaking all bally day long :angry: He does know the dogs aren't getting enough attention or exercise, as he's said that to me.

Sound like a right pair of tosspots angry.gif

The mind boggles. (with horror) What a disaster. Do you have a local dog warden - it might be possible to get them involved .

I doubt the suggestion of a dog walker or minder would be taken on board. I don't understand why they have the dogs. God help them all if they have breeding in mind. I would think there is very little training being done which in itself is another can of worms. We once rescued a 12 month old Newfie who had had no training - it took us a few weeks to calm him down and get him to obey instructions - and that was one dog on its own.

I hope somebody can get rhrough to the eejit and get them to think of what is best for the dogs.

It might be worth mentioning that the Newfoundland Club has a welfare section that will find homes for them if he can't handle the situation!!

He is a nice bloke who is in a difficult situation workwise at the moment and having to work very long hours, so I do have a lot of sympathy for him. He is misguided rather than careless I think.

I had a chat with him the other day and he said he was horrified to learn the dogs were barking so much and was very pleased to have been told. He is now taking the westie out with him to the markets as he thinks he is starting of the newfie and they have been a lot quieter the last few days, so he might be onto something. He said himself he would look for someone to be on site more, and I mentioned it might only need to be someone coming in for an hour or taking them for a walk and he agreed it sounded sensible.

There is no doubt he loves the dogs and though they are perhaps not the ideal dogs for him right now he is building a business that he runs frome in the longer term aim to be on site more and do less market work.

As he's asked us to let him know whether the dogs settle down, and has also said that we can tell him anything (he asked if there was anything else he was doing that was not going down well) I'll take that as an invitation to say more in future.