UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

Really? Whilst I realise there isn't a show scene on the board (& other than "fun shows" with "ordinary owners & dogs" it's not something that really interests me that much either) I would have thought all dogs / doggie chat was welcomed here :unsure:

you would be surprised at some of the emails and Pms we get... :wacko:

but it should be that no matter where the dog\cat\hamster\rabbit\etc came from they and the owners should feel able to chat about them

Life has got so busy and has changed so much since I first started posting here. I did try to post a bit more a wee while ago but everything was so slow to load and sometimes my posts wouldn't post and the impatient thing I am, I just went "oh b*gger it":rolleyes:

I have noticed so many regulars from old don't post anymore. I'm guessing that's just life. Never noticed any cliques etc, but then I've never been good at noticing such things.

I only post regularly on one other forum on labs but even these days I am not nearly as prolific as I used to be.

Agree that it seems everyone is on facebook and twitter these days. I joined FB & twitter a few months ago to promote the dog show but find them all really hard work but useful and will probably only ever use such things for dog shows etc rather than personal ramblings.

Going back a couple or more years, this forum did a brilliant job at raising £££ for rescue, and I loved it for that, so I think it is great you are considering an auction and I'd be well up for donating/bidding in that.

Perhaps other sites such as dogsblog, which I think is excellent and Rescue's own forums etc means there is less of a demand these days for aggregate forums? But then I always did see the refuge more of a place to let of steam for those involved in rescue work; chill; have a laugh; and as a valuable fundraising vehicle rather than anything else.:flowers:

i've turned into a lurker/reader more than a poster, like others said, the board was slow and i got out of the habbit and lost track of who was who, i've never noticed any cliques or any frowning on rescue non rescue dogs.

i do read RMF and gone :ohmy: or :rolleyes: or even :laugh: at the posts there but ive not posted, i thought RMF was just to post the random mundane things life throws at you and isnt a thread that needs conversation or answers :worried_anim:

i have missed the auctions though :)

Can I be very honest?

I stopped posting as the forum became in my view very cliquey and exclusive, people were ignored in RMF and stopped posting. There also seemed to be less about rescue and dogs.

When I stopped posting I lost the habit and when I looked again there didn't seem enough to capture my attention or keep me interested

[/quote

Well said Laura. There was a distinct clique on here and many member felt excluded. It was not all in rmf either. Some people were being ignored and it had nothing to do with how well known you were on here.

If you fell out of favour with someone - you were off the 'list'.

I have always hated people who behave that way and did not want to be part of it anymore. I only posted when I lost one of my babies who were known on the forum.

I was missing the posts of interesting people and I know I was not alone.

TRUDI - wonderful to see your name again - how are things with you?

Out of interest, why would stopping posting here stop you from still reading posts of people you found interesting? There are lots of people come here and read posts who dont post.

I've stopped posting recently as I;ve been busy moving and cos I work funny shifts, but all my posts are doom and gloom about being skint all the time and hating men!. Reoccuring theme in my life so people get bored. I do on FB though as I get in on my phone x

This confuses me, what is meant by interesting people?

I find people interesting and how they interact with each other, sometimes we have to see under the writing to see the real person because some are not very good at putting their thoughts into word like me, I am often misunderstood but that doesn't mean there is something wrong.

We do have to remember that we can't see each other's body language which tells us a lot about what that person is saying. If we could see each other there may be less accusations of people not getting on. Many people don't post because they can't put what they are saying very well, think I am digging a big hole at the moment. :laugh:

It only takes a comma in the wrong place to turn a happy, chatty post into an aggressive, attacking post so we do need to take this into account when reading them.

Out of interest, why would stopping posting here stop you from still reading posts of people you found interesting? There are lots of people come here and read posts who dont post.

I meant because those people were no longer posting on here - I do not mean that other people were not posting interest stuff but people whose posts I usually looked for were no longer posting on here.

I meant because those people were no longer posting on here - I do not mean that other people were not posting interest stuff but people whose posts I usually looked for were no longer posting on here.

Did not explain that very well (no ciggys).

I thought you meant I was boring and was ready to come across to "Meet" you. :laugh:

It used to be nice when people said Happy Birthday to members, doesn't seem to happen any more :unsure: the comaradie (sp) seems to have gone :mecry: Happy birthday to me :mecry:

People do still wish each other happy birthday, but we only know when it's someones birthday if they have it in their profile and it comes up on the calender you haven't got yours in your profile so how would we have known?

Happy Birthday :flowers:

It used to be nice when people said Happy Birthday to members, doesn't seem to happen any more :unsure: the comaradie (sp) seems to have gone :mecry: Happy birthday to me :mecry:

:ohmy: I've just glanced at a few "Happy Birthday" titles, (no idea whose) & decided I couldn't be bothered at the moment. Nothing personal I just don't find it important for people to say Happy Birthday to me (getting old? :glare: ) anymore or have it in my own profile (I read somewhere such things are used by ID fraudsters).

If it matters to you or makes you feel better / more involved in the forum in some way though I'll happily wish you a "Happy Birthday" :flowers: