UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

hmmm I used to be a fairly frequent poster in lots of the areas, but to be honest I really dislike the very subdivided broken up feeling, as in for T&B and dog activities there is a million little sub-boards? and a whole area for newbies....which I never remember to visit anyway? Personally I get quite frustrated with it all (and hence why I rarely manage to post on the Wiccs boards either), and the techy problems did mean that the few minutes I had to come on I then gave up!

I would like (in a perfect world)

*fewer sub forums

*return to clear welfare focus

*easier to read training/advice sections

as even though I'm busy I do manage to go on some networking places, so would be happy to make an effort and post more? :)

I've just been having a proper look around the board (I only ever use View New Content) and it's struck me that we could be a bit more lively in welcoming people who post in 'The Place to Start'.

I am worse than anyone on that score, so I'm going to make it my mission to dive in and say hello on newbie posts.

Can I be very honest?

I stopped posting as the forum became in my view very cliquey and exclusive, people were ignored in RMF and stopped posting. There also seemed to be less about rescue and dogs.

When I stopped posting I lost the habit and when I looked again there didn't seem enough to capture my attention or keep me interested

Similar reasons here although I have never even read the RMF thread. I've seen people really attacked on here which is uncomfortable to read and makes me reluctant to post. This does seem to have an element of whether you are part of the in-group or not. Also, not all of my dogs are rescue dogs which means I don't post about the dogs as I know that is frowned on here.

Similar reasons here although I have never even read the RMF thread. I've seen people really attacked on here which is uncomfortable to read and makes me reluctant to post. This does seem to have an element of whether you are part of the in-group or not. Also, not all of my dogs are rescue dogs which means I don't post about the dogs as I know that is frowned on here.

Non of mine are rescue and it doesn't stop me :wink: There have been occasions where there has been a bit of cliquishness but no more than anywhere else I reckon :mellow: I know I can be guilty of reading but not posting at times-sometimes 'cos I don't know what to say and sometimes due to time.

Also, not all of my dogs are rescue dogs which means I don't post about the dogs as I know that is frowned on here.

I'm sorry but I really have to disagree, particularly since I've taken a hell of a lot of flack from people over the fact that we DONT discriminate or discourage people with bought or bred dogs from posting. Honestly it's really unfair to claim that the forum is anti non rescue dogs, perhaps some individual members are not as keen to participate in threads about bought or bred dogs but thats their choice, others do and have.

If I had a £ for every disgruntled pm or remark directed at me personally as admin or at the staff in general or the forum as a whole for being either too rescue orientated that people with bought/bred dogs don't feel comfortable OR that the forum is not rescue enough and theres too many people with bred/bought dogs posting I'd give up my day job and retire to the beach. The clear evidence of that is in this very thread where you say you don't feel comfortable posting about your non rescue dogs and yet others have said they don't post because we aren't welfare focused enough.

:shrug:

I stopped posting for similar reasons to Elricc but when I lost my sight I came back and I find that the board is too difficult to navigate so only read the few threads I can find, not really felt 'comfortable' enough to post. :err:

It was easier to get out of the habit of posting than it is to get back into it but I will make more effort :)

I have two bought dogs and one 2nd hand one ( can't really call him a rescue, his owners adored him) and I can't really say I've ever felt discriminated against at all, I think rescue dogs will always get a bit more interest when they first arrive as they often have a tale to be told, but thats perfectly natural.

I have to admit I find there are way too many forums as well, hence I only really read Chat, Doggie Chat and occasionally venture into the others on rare occasions.

The newbie forum I feel could be done away with completely, same for the picture forums. The newbies could be encouraged to put their first post in chat or doggie chat, which would get far more responses and as for the picture forums, they rarely get visited so some people posting pics in there may feel they are being ignored.

I disagree with the 'clique' comments. People who post and contribute regularly are obviously going to 'know' each other better and are more likely to respond to each others posts. I also believe you get out of something what you put in, so if someone only makes the effort to post once in a blue moon they shouldn't expect to receive lots of responses. If they made an effort to join in with other people's discussions more then they would undoubtedly get more responses to their own posts. That's just human nature.

I come here usually in the morning for a quick nosey round, then in the evening before I turn off my laptop for the night. I pop in a few times during the day if I can from work, and usually just catch up on RMF on those occasions. I don't spend hours at a time on here and you can't respond to every post or thread or you'd be here forever, so I do tend to read the threads of people I've 'known' longer or who I have interacted with on other levels first (that's life I'm afraid), then if I have time I sometimes catch up on other stuff, but I still wouldn't respond to every thread I read.

Speaking of RMF, there are loads of times I post stuff in there which don't get responses - it doesn't bother me, that's not what it's meant for. As others have said, if it's important, then start a separate thread.

I don't post as much as I did because when the site was having problems and was very slow, I got out of the habbit, because I am very impatient :rolleyes: . I do use facebook and a couple of other forums but am actually trying to spend a bit less time on the internet anyway. I mainly post in RMF and don't really expect to get replies to what I post. When Gus was poorly and then died, I did start a thread and felt supported by everyone which I really appreciated :flowers: . I would love to know who is part of this "clique" because if anyone thinks that I am, they can count up how many times I actually get spoken to in RMF :err: Not much really but doesn't stop me posting :cool:

I can't say I've noticed much 'frowning upon' people who's dogs are not all rescues, TBH. I see the board as having a fairly strong rescue theme, but also somewhere that's just 'for the dogs', wherever they come from.

And I think the community spirit is great, everyone supports each other through rocky times. Or that's how I see it in my little pink world anyway :rolleyes:

I agree with Alex thought (but not in a clique-y way :D ) that you get back what you put in. It's hard sometimes to just dive into conversations but what's the worst that can happen? I just give it a go.

The way I see it is that in real life I don't like everyone I meet, and not everyone likes me either. But in real life you can just keep out of the way of those people, whereas on a forum everyone is 'out there' so there are bound to be points of view that clash. From a board owner/mod point of view I'm sure you can't please all of the people all of the time etc....

I must be one of the worst members when it comes to rescue and purchased dogs, having rehomed two dogs and purchased two and rescued two but I don't feel I've been made to feel that I can't post because of it. When Nala passed away I got some very lovely messages from people offering their condolences, no one cared where she came from.

I read RMF more than post these days and it is extremely quite, I might not read for a few days and its only a couple of pages as opposed to the 20 odd pages it would have accumilated when I was an active member. RMF is strange, I might not respond but its nice to read to see where people are up to and its a way of getting to know someone making it easier to post replies, that's the way I see it.

The forum is huge and I do bypass most of the sections as they very rarely have anything new in them, and what happened to the Fun Section, I used to like the word association thread and jokes?

Also, not all of my dogs are rescue dogs which means I don't post about the dogs as I know that is frowned on here.

Really? Whilst I realise there isn't a show scene on the board (& other than "fun shows" with "ordinary owners & dogs" it's not something that really interests me that much either) I would have thought all dogs / doggie chat was welcomed here :unsure: