UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

I don't really like the "constant" tinkering with the forum to be honest - maybe I'm just an "if it ain't broke then don't fix it" sort of bloke :rolleyes: but mainly it was because the newer forum & older software threw up compatibility problems & at times the forum has seemed a lot slower.

I also think it could be easier to find on Google than it has been.

I have also noticed the fall in numbers of rescues, posts in general etc & am saddened by that as despite the above I still think the Refuge is amongst the best forums. By comparison Facebook is popular & I've allowed myself to be drawn into joining, posting etc but I still aren't truly sold on it somehow. :unsure:

Edited by Ian

I think that some people don't post very often (me included) because when they do post they get hardly any replies, but then another post will get pages and pages. I think its "who you know" rather than what you post. :unsure: x

Honestly, I don't think it is. Sometimes I read but don't post cause I don't think I have anything interesting to say...but I think the "I've read and didn't want to run" post actually does make people realise that you are thought of?

My reasons for not being here so often are the forum playing up was annoying as hell and its where I came to de-stress not add to stress. :laugh: Glad we have a lovely new go faster version! :biggrin:

Life has been pants and rather hectic meaning I have had less time to spend on all the different fourms/wesbites to keep up, so I go on FB to catch up with everyone at once. I also have a new hobby too help with destressing so other forums to keep up with.

I try to visit Refuge at least once a day, even if its just to read, so generally visit RMF first to catch up with peoples lives, then go into dog chatter, then non animal chat. Then will pop into homecheck/transport though only to see if there is anything really local as I dont have much time or energy at the moment. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of an auction again and will look at the 'New threads' button to make sure I keep up properly. :biggrin:

I just use 'View new content' all the time, so I don't miss any appeals for help, or anyone getting a new doggy friend or having a poorly dog. Sometimes a thread title makes me think that it's not for me though.

I'm guilty as charged for reading lots of threads but not commenting, but I can see how it might make people think their threads are being ignored so I'm going to make more effort. When I put up a thread about Tess being very ill, I could see from the 'views' numbers that people were concerned for her, even if they were not always posting, and that was very lovely and comforting.

I like the idea of an auction to draw people in.

I haven't been on here for ages either:rolleyes: To be honest I have cut down a lot on various forums etc as although I never did spend hours on the computer I found I was still spending too much time for my lifestyle!

I need to spend more doing real life stuff like time spent with all our animals etc but the one thing that has caused a problem for me is how slow it has been on here and although I installed IE8 it made no difference at all:unsure:

I just do not have patience with inanimate things like computers etc etc:laugh:

a lot of whythe refuge has diminished is down to several main factors:

1 - the previous hosting companys decline in service levels. this made the site unuseable at times and i was tied into an agreement woth them that made it hard to transfer out. hopefully that is now a thing of the past

2 - my lack of doing anything with the site. This is something that i wil be addreessing over the next few months with a new website and various other bits and pieces. SEO and some other stuff will help up the forums visibility

3 - the feeling that the refuge became a bit of a closed community. sad but true. it was seen as cliquey, this is something that will have to change if its to grow again.

4. facebook - this gives people alot of what forums used to give them.

a couple of other things too but the main reason is just stagnation. vibrant communities have a flow of new people joining - and others leaving. Its really noce to have a good core of loyal posters but even they will get fed up of dscussing the same topic over and over again.

The forum lost its way a bit but its still getting an awful lot of reads .. just need to get people to post more.

Still read, very rarely post, but that's not a big change.

It seems sad that lots of the very active posters have gone away.

The Refuge has helped highlight/start a number of very important things

DogStar

Breed not Deed

Greyhound March/welfare

But it all seems lost now- it's a shame and I really wish I knew how the to resurrect the Refuge community.

I think the Refuge moved away from the driving force of welfare and rescue and is now floundering, which is sad- maybe we need a focus again.

I'm still reading, but posting less than I used to, and I'll admit that facebook is a factor for me. But also that there are less new posts and less people posting as such (and I know I'm one of them!).

It's easy to say "if you need more posts or people being active on a forum, you've got to start posting yourself", but if you get hardly any replies to your posts then that's not really encouraging is it.

I've given up on RMF, because I just couldn't be on it 10 times a day to keep track of what was going on and didn't want to have to read back 5-6 pages every time I did. And if you shouldn't expect a reply to anything you post on RMF then why would you post anything? :unsure:

That said, there've been a few new threads the last few days that had quite a few replies, so maybe there's hope for resurrection of the Refuge :)