UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

Not sure we need to know why they left.

I imagine it will be some took a snit at other members, some got annoyed that it was slow, some tried it a couple times when it had fallen over and gave up, some tried a couple times when other people had given up and then gave up themselves cos it was quiet/boring. We probably already know that...

I would suggest lots of posts to get things looking interesting again would be a good start. Maybe we should have some sort of 'best new thread competition'? Not sure how to organise that, but I reckon the number one thing for any community site is lots of fresh content...

I always use the "view new posts" facility & then click on anything that appears interesting.

Not a big fan of RMF personally(although it's existence doesn't put me off being here)& I suppose I find it a bit sad when that is the only topic with new posts. I used to be a homecheck coordinator & found that both the number of requests for help & the responses on this board diminished to the extent it wasn't worth posting - probably down to fewer active members. Possibly other rescue forums have taken over this function now & Facebook has taken on some of the chat side.

It becomes a viscious circle as people don't post because so few others do, it appears more of a closed community.....

I am not a very regular poster myself so I could try harder!

Also I don't think this is the only forum to see decline.

One question - shouldn't Oldies Club be an affiliate?

Liz :flowers:

Not sure we need to know why they left.

but if you don't know why people stopped posting how can you be sure any thing you try to do to reverse falling interest / posts it is the correct thing

I agree you don't want to drag up poster x fell out with poster y over z issue type issues , I am thinking about feedback on the the look and feel of the board , the layout , sections , the facilities it has or does not have etc

I think it might be a general move in favour of Facebook so people are posting less on forums. That and summer holidays. I know my own forum is very quiet. But these things go in cycles. I bet people will come back when the novelty of Facebook wears off.

I've only recently started using "View new posts" and it's certainly very useful.

The numbers of people posting do seem to have dropped after each technical glitch, so it would be great if we would tell them that things are now working fine (fingers crossed!) and it would be nice to see them back here.

I can see that it looks bad for the only posts to have sometimes been in RMF (especially when I don't really contribute there myself) but the less posts there are elsewhere, the more obvious you feel about starting a new thread. Maybe we need to resolve to start at least one new thread each per week.

To get things moving what about a photo competition, as well as our pets we can have other categories. No entry fees and no prizes, just the winning :laugh:

You can have judges or let the members judge.

People love to show their photos off.

Funniest stories, what has happened with your pets or yourself, even ghost stories, they can be fact or fiction. Again no fee and no prizes.

I'm inclined to think that we should concentrate on the now and the future, it is a fact that facebook has hit forums very hard - not just us, this is about the 4th or 5th time I've posted in a thread about falling member numbers and lack of activity across forums of lots of different genres, it's also an ongoing topic on the admin forum I use, and if you google you'll find countless blog discussions about whether facebook/twitter has dealt a killer blow to forums.

Photo comps is good, thread comp also good, bearing in mind Pingu is going to be getting rid of old threads how about if you have memories of a particular thread be it useful, or funny or just plain too good to lose for whatever reason, you give it a wee bump, not only will that save it from being deleted but perhaps it might be something that people missed first time round or newer members never saw, and maybe there's new info to be added etc. Thats a good way to get content without having to reinvent the wheel.

There's a great thread I've seen on another forum that could be fun.

One person posts a photo and then other people post captions for it. The original photo poster then choses their favourite caption and that person gets to post the next photo and it starts again. It can just run and run and is always good for a snigger or two.

whaddya reckon?

There's a great thread I've seen on another forum that could be fun.

One person posts a photo and then other people post captions for it. The original photo poster then choses their favourite caption and that person gets to post the next photo and it starts again. It can just run and run and is always good for a snigger or two.

whaddya reckon?

I like it.... thanks for volunteering to start it off :D

I can't access this forum since it's been up dated or photo bucket at work I can only get on via my mobile so cannot post photos. I do not have a home computer

That's pants. You can email me photos if you want to partake in any photo challenge and I can post them for you :flowers:

I can't access this forum since it's been up dated or photo bucket at work I can only get on via my mobile so cannot post photos. I do not have a home computer

Is that something to do with your work blocking sites Ellie or something about the software in particular?