UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

Mrs Mop, on 29 November 2010 - 01:12 PM, said:

Like others I was upset over Snow's first post on here, but if she is the only Staff member on I can understand why.

Well, that's a bit of a turnaround from your previous posts. :unsure:

I don't see what difference it makes - in that position, wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge that there are genuine grounds for concern? After all, if someone says "I don't like this and here's why", it's not useful to tell us a) we have nothing to complain about, or that b) we should avoid complaining because there's only one person moderating.

I have just received an email about your post, it is this sort of nastiness that many, not all,there are other reasons why, that members have left. I don't care what you think, everyone is human and often react first, doesn't stop us seeing reason later.

Just because I was upset when I first read a post then saw it differently later doesn't mean there is a turnround. Maybe if you did more "Turnrounds" you wouldn't write such drivel.

If anyone does email me again about this board it will be deleted, I don't want to associate with nasty people.

I wish to apologise for the way I handled things there. Mrs Mop is right, I should not have expanded on this thread, I should have simply reported the post which I objected to rather than enter into discussion about it on a different thread.

As to why the Refuge has gone slow, I have found that forums in general do naturally tend to ebb and flow in their activity. But the Refuge is primarily about helping animals, not about social contact, so we don't want this to happen. There is surely not just one reason for the departure of various people, in fact I know there is not. I do feel there is a desperate need for more than one active host on site. It's not fair on snow to be holding the fort like this. I appreciate the commitments that other hosts have and the work they have put in, but I feel we do need more than one around.

The way to stabilise a forum is to run a tight ship, lay down the law and kick off anyone who argues with anything. I am not speaking of any particular forum either in or outside animal rescue, just a general comment. We certainly don't want to go down this route, it would be alien to everything our forum stands for. But if we don't do things this way then we have to ride out the ebbs and flows and do the best we can.

Edited by owl

If anyone does email me again about this board it will be deleted, I don't want to associate with nasty people.

but you were unfair in your go at snow so how can you be 'nasty' then turn on others who comment on something you said? Why is it a case of 'do as i say and not as i do'. I dont want to turn this into an arguement but think you're unfair in what you said.

Can we please all take a step back, give ourselves a shake and come back. There will be people laughing their socks off reading through this thread. They would like to see nothing more than for the refuge to close. Let's remember why this site started in the first place. It was a true refuge to a lot of people and rescues to continue chatting and help/work in animal welfare. It was a place where sincere and fantastic people belonged. It did and still does actually do great things. Has helped so many animals and also members have helped each other personally. It doesn't get better than that.

A lot of forums are getting quieter. People are struggling in their personal lives due to the current climate. Working longer/alternative hours to what they're used to. Circumstances changing meaning they may not be able to help out so much, can't afford to, haven't the time to read forums.

Advertising far and wide isn't a bad idea. How about also contacting rescues and giving them a link inviting them to come post their animals free of charge to promote their animals further.

This forum will only go quieter if it's allowed to. I post here on a daily basis yet couldn't tell you who the mods are or how many there are any more as lots seemed to give up their position. Xmas is coming in a few weeks. A great time to really give this place a kick and get everyone posting as most people will be sat at home.

There are some truly wonderful people here.

Can we please all take a step back, give ourselves a shake and come back. There will be people laughing their socks off reading through this thread. They would like to see nothing more than for the refuge to close. Let's remember why this site started in the first place. It was a true refuge to a lot of people and rescues to continue chatting and help/work in animal welfare. It was a place where sincere and fantastic people belonged. It did and still does actually do great things. Has helped so many animals and also members have helped each other personally. It doesn't get better than that.

A lot of forums are getting quieter. People are struggling in their personal lives due to the current climate. Working longer/alternative hours to what they're used to. Circumstances changing meaning they may not be able to help out so much, can't afford to, haven't the time to read forums.

Advertising far and wide isn't a bad idea. How about also contacting rescues and giving them a link inviting them to come post their animals free of charge to promote their animals further.

This forum will only go quieter if it's allowed to. I post here on a daily basis yet couldn't tell you who the mods are or how many there are any more as lots seemed to give up their position. Xmas is coming in a few weeks. A great time to really give this place a kick and get everyone posting as most people will be sat at home.

There are some truly wonderful people here.

Well said :cool:

I'm a member of the Countryside Alliance and BASC. My labs work on Shoots and I p/t game keep - this is not news to many on here I'm sure. I adore my dogs, and my cats for that matter. I will and do anything I can for Dog Rescue; adopt dogs; foster; homecheck; transport; fundraise; spread the message etc etc. So where does that leave me with forums such as this?

Totally appreciate and accept other's views on anti field sports etc, it's not that, it's just I feel completely lost at sea here as I know the majority have very strong views on the above subject, they are voiced for sure, and I know many would consider someone like me to be a dreadful person or in fact much worse i.e scum of the earth (I've certainly read it on here in the past!).

I find it incredibly hard to reconcile the two on here. Perhaps because other Rescue forums focus almost exclusively on dog rescue chat and there is no need to feel the need to 'run and hide'? But then I wouldn't want anyone not to feel they couldn't voice their opinon on whatever the subject was either. Catch 22 I guess for me. Maybe this all means that 'here' is not where I belong and which is why, if I'm totally honest, I rarely visit.

I miss the old days though; the fab fundraising; the buzz of seeing members rize to a challenge and a dog saved and rehomed; supporting members on here when times are hard or laughing along when threads are too daft they should be saved and treasured for a long, long time.

Sorry, rather self indulgent and pretty pointless and useless post in the grand scheme of things:flowers: I wish EVERYONE well, and the board included.

Lovely to see you here Tegs.

Personally I think variety is what boards like this need. I appreciate that being the lone voice can be dull, tiring and rather dreary at times, but I don't think people can learn, grow and develop unless they have their views challenged at times to expand them.

I dislike hunting (hey I'm an awkward veggie), however, this doesn't mean that I dislike you or don't respect your opinion. The fact our opinions on some matters are different to me is a good thing. There are also many points where our opinions will be fiercely the same. I have friends (real life ones, I know it shocked me too :laugh: ) who I disagree with on certain points of view, but I do think life would be so dull if we were all clones or thought the same.

It is a matter of people respecting others opinions and being open to discussions, especially on subjects that can have extreme views and high emotive responses.

The Nader Valley show you organise and invite rescues to is amazing and a fabulous display of your support for animals and animal rescues, and anyway we are long overdue piccies of some cute babes please so there :flowers:

Edited by murtle

Raking over old coals , grievences etc is not going to help the forum become active again , some people cannot stand confrontation and bad feeling , so even coming on here and reading this thread could easily have them thinking , whats the point ?

I think the longer you stay away the harder it is to come back too .

Sadly the likes of facebook has killed forums , as most people post there these days instead of the forums :(

There have been a few good suggestions so far eg links from facebook etc , sadly they have been overshadowed by the negativity .

I think we are all aware of why this board was set up and most of us would agree on the whole it has been run fairly and people have not been too frightened of getting banned to post their opinions.

As for cliques , im sure they do exist here like everywhere else , but sometimes thats not a bad thing , lets face it you would not be part of all your friends circles of friends in the real world would you ?

I find it quite sad that some people do feel ignored and not part of the so called in crowd , but rather than sit back and feel miserable it would be much better to become more involved by posting more not less , how many people who feel ignored answer other peoples posts regularly ?

Everyone of us is different , thank gawd :laugh:

How we feel on any day can have an impact on how we feel about posting , replying feeling ignored etc , but if we are having an off day we expect people to understand that , but how many of us can honestly say we make allowaces for other people when they are having an off day ?

I have been AWOL for a lot of reasons , but would hate to see this place and everything it stands for disappearing so i will make the effort to post a bit more , one person cant make much of a difference but if lots of people try to post more often can.

Just my rambling thoughts :rolleyes:

Fiona xx

You know what Fiona, I was just mulling this thread over while walking the hooligans (Kiera says 'hi' by the way, she's not forgotten about you :wink: ) and actually having a load of negative thoughts myself. But your post has put things back in perspective again and given me a kick up the backside - so thank you! :flowers:

[snip]

I have been AWOL for a lot of reasons , but would hate to see this place and everything it stands for disappearing so i will make the effort to post a bit more , one person cant make much of a difference but if lots of people try to post more often can.

Just my rambling thoughts :rolleyes:

Fiona xx

Every little helps as they say - well I think it's Asda that says it - but I agree we are all different which can only be a good thing, two of me would be more than I could cope with!