UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

suzeanna, on 29 November 2010 - 11:38 AM, said:

(a recent poster in RMF comes to mind) and they will never be happy no matter what is done.

THats me I take it, lots of things make me happy, but I can say that being on here is not one of them, thank you to the person who alerted me about this, same old same old.

If you always do what you've always done you always get what you've always got.

I didn't like that either, having a go at a member like this is unnecessary, if you want to say something do it by pm, I don't like to see, and I know there are others like me, people taking pot shots at other members. It has also been brought from a part of the forum that some of us don't go to and don't want to see this on any board.

Elricc, I found your post on RMF quite startling. You suddenly attacked us for being rude, I don't know whether you meant some or all of us, but the people who were talking about collars were very complimentary about yours and I can't see that any of us were rude. I was going to post on RMF last night but after seeing what you wrote I didn't feel like it. And now you are upset because of suzeanna's mention of your post. You can't come on a forum and have a go at people and expect them to say, ok that's fine.

Perhaps instead of telling us how awful we are and how you don't like being on here, you might suggest how things could improve? What exactly are we doing to give you grief, please? Saying that we are doing what we always did and that is why we get what we will always get doesn't mean a lot to some of us because we aren't too sure what you are talking about.

How about this for an idea of how to get people to post here... how about we STOP running the board and members past and present down? If there are only a few threads active one of which happens to be this one how exactly is it encouraging for people to read so much negativity?

How about we remember the tens thats TENS of thousands of pounds this forum raised for some of these rescues that no longer feel like posting here?

How about we remember the fact we fought tooth and bloody nail for individuals and rescues being targeted, slandered and attacked by other forums? How about we remember the fact this board and its members stood up to be counted over the DDA LONG before any other group or forum jumped on the band wagon.

How about the fact several charities, rescues and groups would not even exist if not for this forum and its members?

How about we remember that even though there allegedly were cliques here we have a minuscule ban rate here MUCH lower than other forums because we tried hard NOT to get involved in interpersonal fall outs.

How about we remember that loyalty is a two way street? Refuge hasn't gone anywhere, Rick moved us to a new dedicated server and has paid for all this out of his own pocket without asking for a single solitary penny from any one.

How about remembering that if its interesting enough to post on facebook it's probably interesting enough to post here?

How about remembering that in the time it takes to post about how bad this place has become you could probably have started a post about something more positive or invited a friend to come join us.

Many of you have posted nice things about The Refuge and recognised what it's done for you and what the members mean to you - and thats fantastic! Without you members there wouldnt have been a Refuge to have acheived so much and with your help we can still acomplish good things, the support people give each other here is invaluable so lets not forget that or devalue what that kind of thing can mean to people. It's priceless and its still something that happens here on a daily basis.

Can we PLEASE draw a line under this thread now and move on to actually DOING something instead of just talking about it?

BTW: no I am not going to move the forums around as per Ricks plan - this is a LIVE board and mass moving threads and deleting forums is not recommended on a live board, since the forum move to the new server I cannot access the new forum database so if I cocked it up I couldn't fix it . Rick has it all in hand and when Rick has the time I'm sure he'll get things sorted but until then its not gonna happen and we'll just have to make it work as it is.

We dont always agree on everything Snow but you have hit every point bang on. This site really was a refuge from all the libel and hate. It did raise a lot of money for most rescues,not the chosen few and long may it survive. It was a good thing when it started and it still is. Just life changes sometimes but what goes around comes around in a good way too. Why is there no link to here on the facebook Refuge pages ?

What if we all put a link to the Refuge on our facebook pages ?

To be fair to Snow it seems she may be the only Staff member who comes on here now, if others do I haven't seen them for some time. Controlling a forum is quite a job, on your own it is really difficult even if the members are good, there is always something to do.

Like others I was upset over Snow's first post on here, but if she is the only Staff member on I can understand why.

I agree , so I dropped Rick an email this evening asking him to check in and read this thread as clearly a number of the issues raised are in his remit to answer

Just a little observation: This thread, with the title "How to bring new people to the Refuge", has now turned into a "Why I don't post / what I'm not happy with on the Refuge". Don't think that does much to address the original question - although it might shed light on why it has become so quiet lately.

I totally appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the Refuge, but blowing up when people say why it doesn't work for them anymore isn't helpful. As an analogy: someone can have slaved away for hours making a nice meal, and as it happens I was offered one to take away over the weekend. Looked nice, all very well cooked, but I couldn't stand the taste of it! Now fortunately I've not had to face the people who took the trouble to make it, so I've not had to tell them, but what I'm trying to say is that you can't force people to like something just because you've put a lot of work into it. And again, I totally totally appreciate all the hard work you put in to provide the frame. It's up to all the users to fill the framework in though, and if that's not to the liking of some people then you can't blame them.

I have been mentioning the Refuge to other dog walkers, and in general people thinking of getting a dog, as a source of information, but I'm sure we all know how these things go: someone mentions a website when you're having a chat while out with your dogs, and by the time you get home you've already forgotten about it. I usually don't have pen and paper to hand and neither does the person who I'm talking to. So could it be that new people don't join because they don't know that the Refuge exists? I just googled 'dog rescue' and the Refuge isn't even on the first page - the dreaded DP is the first one to be mentioned tho, and that's how I ended up there first of all, many years ago. Would it be an option to advertise in a mag like, say, Dogs Today? I know that costs money, but I also know that a number of people, including myself, have in the past offered to contribute to the upkeep of the Refuge, and I'm sure that we could get some money together to pay for an ad, if that is what we want. Could we have 'business card' type things that we can leave in vets' waiting rooms? Now I'm buggered, because I don't have a printer, but maybe people who do have one won't mind printing a few out if there is a file that they can download? I don't know, only trying to come up with a few ideas. :unsure:

Maybe these ideas aren't helpful, but I thought I'd throw my two pennies in anyway. :flowers:

Now we have 3 people attacked for something that happened on RMF, this should stay on there and not be put on any other part of the board. This is one of the things that people leave for, I am fed up with it and I know others are. This was one of the few boards I visit now, don't think I will be coming back as this is still going on.

Good bye everyone, this was a good board but unfortunately people seem to think it is ok to attack others on parts of the board that have nothing to do with what has happened.

Maybe if people kept any attacks to were they happened instead of trying to involve the whole board there would be more members posting.

good post snow and lesley as it certainly doesnt look like this thread is doing any good at all i agree its one of the only active threads and i doubt all the accusations are gonna make anyone particularly new members want to hang around.

My reasons for not being around are simple im up to my eyes in cases and trying to sort out hubbys accounts as well as having had the flu from hell i do pop in but theres very few new posts so for my two penny worth posting more elsewhere on the board rather than bickering on this one thread is far more likely to have an affect :flowers:

I agree , so I dropped Rick an email this evening asking him to check in and read this thread as clearly a number of the issues raised are in his remit to answer

Good plan, thank you. The Refuge does feel a bit like a rudderless ship!

I am sad. I started this thread to generate some good ideas so I'm sad that it's become a blame placing exercise and sad that the good ideas have been largely ignored. I don't like confrontation and I would rather walk away than read personal remarks. Do we have no ability to improve and move on?

I find this all very sad :( but I can understand Snows post and her frustration. I still dont understand how RMF is scary to some :unsure: , its fairly quiet now a while ago you'd get 10 to 20 daily pages a day to go through now its one or two. I love it as a thread.

As for Suzeanna's post are you sure she was referring to Elricc, when i read it i thought i knew who it was but either i'm wrong or you lot are :unsure: :laugh:

It would be a crying shame if the Refuge fell apart because of people falling out and petty squabbles :(

I find this all very sad :( but I can understand Snows post and her frustration. I still dont understand how RMF is scary to some :unsure: , its fairly quiet now a while ago you'd get 10 to 20 daily pages a day to go through now its one or two. I love it as a thread.

As for Suzeanna's post are you sure she was referring to Elricc, when i read it i thought i knew who it was but either i'm wrong or you lot are :unsure: :laugh:

It would be a crying shame if the Refuge fell apart because of people falling out and petty squabbles :(

I dont understand how RMF is scary but I do remember the first time I looked at it. There seemed to be all these friends who knew things about each other. The secret is that you can throw in one sentence and be part of it and you dont neccesarily have to keep tabs because there is always something new and up to date.

I dont use much of the rest of the forums simply because Im not directly linked to a lot of stuff. I do occasionally go and look. I think looking for blame is a personal thing,everyone has their own opinions and no one person can be right. I think most people at the moment are struggling to survive and probably have less time than before. Its a numbers game and the more the Refuge advertises, gets involved in issues and is the centre of ongoing things then the more she will thrive. Is it possible to send an admin message to all members with a link to new postings ?. I couldnt resist a look if it were sent to me.

I really think we all are looking at this ass about face. ALL websites are slowing down so we just need to be a little more proactive in getting the good ship Refuge out there and attracting new passengers.

Now we have 3 people attacked for something that happened on RMF, this should stay on there and not be put on any other part of the board. This is one of the things that people leave for, I am fed up with it and I know others are. This was one of the few boards I visit now, don't think I will be coming back as this is still going on.

Good bye everyone, this was a good board but unfortunately people seem to think it is ok to attack others on parts of the board that have nothing to do with what has happened.

Maybe if people kept any attacks to were they happened instead of trying to involve the whole board there would be more members posting.

It was a tiff which will be forgotten quicker than it took to create it. Mrs Mop you just get back here !

People will squabble when they feel safe to do so like in a family.

But its safer here than the hidden carnage against innocent people that goes on elsewhere.

I know a lot of people have problems with RMF , personally I think it needs a pinned thread to explain what it is and isn't so that people don't get upset or misunderstand but other than that its fantastic

there was a poll in August and the vast majority of people who replied seemed to like it as it is

http://www.therefugeforums.org.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/51284-does-rmf-need-a-bit-of-a-makeover/

Like others I was upset over Snow's first post on here, but if she is the only Staff member on I can understand why.

Well, that's a bit of a turnaround from your previous posts. :unsure:

I don't see what difference it makes - in that position, wouldn't it be more helpful to acknowledge that there are genuine grounds for concern? After all, if someone says "I don't like this and here's why", it's not useful to tell us a) we have nothing to complain about, or that b) we should avoid complaining because there's only one person moderating.

thank you to the person who alerted me about this

Oh, that was helpful of them :rolleyes: , but unfortunately some people just love a bit of conflict. I can't see where your name was even mentioned.

Elricc, I found your post on RMF quite startling. You suddenly attacked us for being rude, I don't know whether you meant some or all of us, but the people who were talking about collars were very complimentary about yours and I can't see that any of us were rude. I was going to post on RMF last night but after seeing what you wrote I didn't feel like it. And now you are upset because of suzeanna's mention of your post. You can't come on a forum and have a go at people and expect them to say, ok that's fine.

Perhaps instead of telling us how awful we are and how you don't like being on here, you might suggest how things could improve? What exactly are we doing to give you grief, please? Saying that we are doing what we always did and that is why we get what we will always get doesn't mean a lot to some of us because we aren't too sure what you are talking about.

Excellent post, Owl. I agree. :flowers:

I am trying to do my bit to reinvigorate this forum by posting all my random daily stuff but this thread seems to have degenerated into the kind of thread that will discourage folk from coming here at all :(

Please can we all get along instead of sniping at each other :flowers:

Nowhere is perfect but it takes effort from all to make it as harmonious as possible :flowers:

I am trying to do my bit to reinvigorate this forum by posting all my random daily stuff but this thread seems to have degenerated into the kind of thread that will discourage folk from coming here at all :(

Please can we all get along instead of sniping at each other :flowers:

Nowhere is perfect but it takes effort from all to make it as harmonious as possible :flowers:

Trudi..totally off track of this thread, for which I apologise...but I've never liked to ask, how do you read the posts? My OH uses a trivia quiz site and there is a guy with no sight who goes there, but they read questions/music out over the mic and his answers fly in. He can't read anything people write, how do you manage?