UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

I think for me I have a limited amount of time, my main focus etc is rescue and trying to raise money for it, this board has little rescue involvment, no fundraising, no auctions etc.. I think it has no focus over than a bunch of people who enjoy a chat.. which is fine, but doesn't bring new people in or attract people involved in rescue...

Absolutely elricc,just look at the Volunteers section,so many members who presumably have some interest in Rescue but hardly anyone is using this at all.It's such a shame that a forum that has Animal Welfare and Rescue under it's title just isn't actively involved in either anymore.

I no longer post looking for volunteers here

I think all of the above sums it up really. It seems to me that The Refuge has lost its way from its beginnings when it was so passionate about Rescue.

I don't feel there was a certain sort of clique, but if there was, then that clique did make things happen rescue fundraising wise etc, thats all gone now very sad

to expand on my 2nd to last post , the reason I no longer post here looking for direct help to fundraise or man stalls etc is that I personally don't think of here as a place to get that any more

I think of it as a place to chat with nice online people I know who like dogs

thats not a bad thing but its not what the board once was and I think thats the point a lot of people are making a lot clearer than I

all that said I do apologise to anyone who has offered us any help and not received a prompt reply , one of the things I clearly need is a PA !

Is 4Pawz&More Rescue the same as http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk
No thats not us and becuase of same name one of the reasons why we are closing down.

You can find us at www.futuresfordogs.co.uk Sadly after 5 yrs at the end of this year 4Pawz&more Rescue will be no more. Pauline has lived in Spain for a few years nows so is now no longer with us and too many other rescues on & off the net and business now have the same name.It gets confusing & annoying being asked why we haven't contacted people about dogs when not even ours and the first we hear about them is from angry public , constant calls about prices for boarding & grooming ,cost animal feeds and even home much do we sell our rats at !!

Am sad as loved our name but hey ho thats life.

Don't panic though rescue work is not over and along with the other volunteers we will still be doing rescue but as Futures for Dogs so yippeee to a new era.

Edited by flukespad

2 thoughts

1) the Refuge started out with loads of amazing and enthusiastic people on board. Thing is, amazing enthusiastic people are great volunteers and start projects of their own too. I suspect a lot of the energy that used to be thrown into organising stuff here and posting new ideas is now being used on other projects by people who just don't have time for everything. I know that when I started joining rescue forums, I had five cats and some spare time. Since then I've added two extra dogs, two extra cats, two extra rabbits, have somehow ended up on the committee of a rescue, have created and support websites for four rescue organisations, foster, homecheck and occasionally transport. My time to devote to further projects is minimal, and so my forum involvement has fallen off : if my job wasn't internetty, I'd probably not visit this one or Facebook either.

I'm not sure this is a decline in the Refuge that we are seeing : to some extent I think it's a victim of its own success that so many posters no longer have much time for it!

2) I genuinely think RMF has sucked the life out of the forum for people who dont' visit as often. They can't keep up with the speed of it, and it's got to the stage where people put everything in there and almost nothing - even lovely photos or great news, or questions that really merit more thought - goes in a new thread.

2) I genuinely think RMF has sucked the life out of the forum for people who dont' visit as often. They can't keep up with the speed of it, and it's got to the stage where people put everything in there and almost nothing - even lovely photos or great news, or questions that really merit more thought - goes in a new thread.

RMF terrifies me so I don't go there, going back to just after this started there were complaints that people posted there and not anywhere else, this is true, very recently I have found out people who have left haven't, they only post on RMF.

A lot of information goes on there but not on here, those that are like me too frightened of it or those too busy to go on etc. don't know what is going on and are missing a lot. I am not suggesting that RMF is done away with but if people posting information on there would also post it here there would be a lot more reason to come back.

I can't keep up with RMF and as I am very good at putting my feet into things and getting things wrong, I keep well away. :laugh:

this has been really playing on my mind , I really don't want the refuge to disappear or for it to stop being about animal rescue or welfare

I know I am guilty of not posting any Dogstar updates here and I am going to make a change and start doing so , I will also ask for the help and support I need plus I will try my hardest not to overlook anyone who does offer help and support

I am knee deep in accounts today but I have a cunning plan.....

I don't feel there was a certain sort of clique, but if there was, then that clique did make things happen rescue fundraising wise etc, thats all gone now very sad

I think this sums it up.

I don't recall a clique, I recall some members got more responses but they also posted a lot, you get back what you put in.

I don't see how the forum can thrive again when it's absent of leaders and rescue reps.

I am a rescue rep and am here and The Oldies post quite a bit.

I once pm a mod, I did get a reply several weeks later to say that they don't come here very often now. I do usually get a quick reply from Snow.

Then is it maybe time for some recruitment of Mods that will come here often and drive the forum forwards :unsure:

I'm guilty of not having posted that much in the last months, but I am still very much involved in rescue. My charity has been on the receiving end of generousity from this site and in this day and age, every penny counts, so I would truly love the refuge to get back to doing what it started doing :flowers:

How about this for an idea of how to get people to post here... how about we STOP running the board and members past and present down? If there are only a few threads active one of which happens to be this one how exactly is it encouraging for people to read so much negativity?

How about we remember the tens thats TENS of thousands of pounds this forum raised for some of these rescues that no longer feel like posting here?

How about we remember the fact we fought tooth and bloody nail for individuals and rescues being targeted, slandered and attacked by other forums? How about we remember the fact this board and its members stood up to be counted over the DDA LONG before any other group or forum jumped on the band wagon.

How about the fact several charities, rescues and groups would not even exist if not for this forum and its members?

How about we remember that even though there allegedly were cliques here we have a minuscule ban rate here MUCH lower than other forums because we tried hard NOT to get involved in interpersonal fall outs.

How about we remember that loyalty is a two way street? Refuge hasn't gone anywhere, Rick moved us to a new dedicated server and has paid for all this out of his own pocket without asking for a single solitary penny from any one.

How about remembering that if its interesting enough to post on facebook it's probably interesting enough to post here?

How about remembering that in the time it takes to post about how bad this place has become you could probably have started a post about something more positive or invited a friend to come join us.

Many of you have posted nice things about The Refuge and recognised what it's done for you and what the members mean to you - and thats fantastic! Without you members there wouldnt have been a Refuge to have acheived so much and with your help we can still acomplish good things, the support people give each other here is invaluable so lets not forget that or devalue what that kind of thing can mean to people. It's priceless and its still something that happens here on a daily basis.

Can we PLEASE draw a line under this thread now and move on to actually DOING something instead of just talking about it?

BTW: no I am not going to move the forums around as per Ricks plan - this is a LIVE board and mass moving threads and deleting forums is not recommended on a live board, since the forum move to the new server I cannot access the new forum database so if I cocked it up I couldn't fix it . Rick has it all in hand and when Rick has the time I'm sure he'll get things sorted but until then its not gonna happen and we'll just have to make it work as it is.