UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How To Bring New People To The Refuge

Karen

I stopped posting as the forum became in my view very cliquey and exclusive, people
I have to say I agree and was very surprised as when refuge started it was so good to see so many poeple on here from another old forum and getting to know new people.

The refuge have given us some fabulous support over the years when we were witch hunted and slated and when we did our Zippy appeal and I am very very gratefull but then after we took on the 2 DDA staffies I felt like we didn't exist any more.Melp was the only one who stepped in and helped us with the £2000 vet bill we ended up with for them.I suddnely felt as if everyone who was north of Kent was in the in crowd :biggrin: and my face no longer fitted in. I did notice that certain people who posted did get huge replies whilst newbies and others were lucky if they got one.I do understand that not every one wants to reply to a thread/post but it does make you dispondant if know one does reply.I do lurk for time to time to see what is going on but don't think I have posted in about 6 mths ?? Those who know me know am not very techie minded so wouldn't know where to go look :laugh:

My face has never fitted in but it doesn't stop me, I just keep away from anyone who is negative to my posts. Many of the people who were cliquey have moved on, there may not be as many posts now but I find the nice people have stayed, pity some of the nice people have also gone but their circumstances may have changed and it has nothing to do with the board.

Many on here are working hard in various forms of rescue, like me they may not be able to read every post, already this morning I have put up 7 dogs needing rescue places on several forums and updated many more, lost count of them and it is only 9.15am. I like to chat which I can't do on many forums, in fact apart from this and one other, all the forums I post on is to find rescue places for dogs and try and organise transport runs for them.

The members here were very good when I was looking after my husband and when he passed away, I can never thank them enough for that, there were people who didn't want to know but that is there problem not mine.

I registered as Mrs Mop because of some of the members, I didn't want them to know it was me, some took every chance they could to attack me, now it isn't needed, they haven't been here for a long time. :laugh:

We can't get on with everyone all the time, we can still treat them with respect, if I don't like a post I walk away from it and I am sure most if not all of us do that at times.

It may have been cliquey at one time but haven't found it for quite some time. I reply to posts when I have something to say, if I don't I don't reply, that doesn't mean I am not interested in what the person has said.

I still pop on to catch with everyone. I do not always get the time to post as now work 3/4 time and have a busy household and also am Chairperson to a disability charity. But I will never forget how kind and supportive everyone was to me when Brodie was taken so suddenly ill just at the start of a family holiday. The family had to still go so I stayed and so many of you kept me going even at the darkest hours of losing him.

To have that support was irreplacable and I hope we will all be here for each other when we need that extra helping hand.

Many of you know I have a disabled daughter and have at times posted her progress reports. She graduated from University in August and has just started her first job as an occupational therapist. We are immensly proud of her and although I must admit it is a little bit of a brag I post to give others out there the hope that not all doctors or educationalists get it right and with a little bit of extra support we can help our children to get to their goals.

Thank you for just being there to share good times and bad

Alison

Edited by Brodies Mum

flukepad, I would make a plea for you to post (and other rescues), especially about your rescue and dogs. New people to the forum, especially those new to rescue may not know of your rescue and others out there. When we can help we often help the ones that we have seen/heard of/seen pleas for only because we know they are there.

Is 4Pawz&More Rescue the same as http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk :unsure:

Western Star that sounds fabulous, and I agree photos are required please!!

Brodies Mum - bragging is a good thing, if we aren't going to be proud of people we know and love and want to shout it from the rooftops, why would anyone else?! Your daughters achievements don't only support and encourage others in similar situations, they give others the inspiration sometimes needed to take stock of things and persevere. :flowers:

I don't know ways to encourage people to come back, but to get people to join and stay there has to be a focus or a point of being. I came across this site as a rescue environment and actually at the time of one of the auctions, there just doesn't seem to be much in the way of rescue stuff here any more. I have seen pleas for help on Facebook, but these don't always make it on to the the forum here, that I guess is the joy of facebook and its large market attraction.

Mxxx

I come here still because I like the people who are still left and I would miss talking with them equally I am so so grateful to the support everyone gave me when I was starting Dogstar but Dogstar now would have died if this was our only interact interaction so although I am here personally I do post very little DS stuff here now ( apart from the old plug for me shop )

I post the vast majority of updates and news on FB, Twitter and our own website. Its quicker and easier and gets a higher response rate. Plus as it seems there are under 50 regular posters here I don't want to bore you all laugh.gif

Pingus profile shows he last logged in on Sept 20th this year ( I do hope thats wrong and he is okay ) but seriously if the board owner does appear not to log in for 2 months why on earth should we expect members to

Edited to add a bit I missed !

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

I have to say that as a long-term but always pretty occasional poster on this forum I am blissfully unaware of these past arguments, cliques etc

I always thought this forum had a good reputation for mutually supporting one another :flowers:

It's a shame there are fewer people now & a shmae too that it seems to be so slow. I know a few people who no longer visit because of the latter.

I can post the dogs that we are trying to find rescue places for, it may bring some of the rescues back. We have some very lovely, cute dogs that are easy to home as well as lots of Staffies, we haven't lost one yet, always managed to find somewhere apart from poor Dino who is in a foster home.

I think for me I have a limited amount of time, my main focus etc is rescue and trying to raise money for it, this board has little rescue involvment, no fundraising, no auctions etc.. I think it has no focus over than a bunch of people who enjoy a chat.. which is fine, but doesn't bring new people in or attract people involved in rescue...