UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I'M Sorry Difficult Thing To Ask About

Clare

Murf is my first dog so I have no experience of what happens when he nears the end of his days, we are facing that we may lose him soon.

I have learnt from posts on here over the years that some people arrange for a cremation through their vet and some arrange it themselves through special companies.

If I arrange this through my vet will the service the body recieves be any less respectful? I know it won't be Murf as such but I am having nightmares about his body being chucked in van like a bag of rubbish :mecry:

Can anyone recommend somewhere that offers cremation in the Bracknell or surrounding area, I have found a company called Dignity that is local but I was a bit upset by their marketing - but possibly me just being over sensitive.

Sorry to ask but really need to prepare myself now, as when the time comes I won't be capable.

Very sorry you're having to go through this my heart is breaking for you Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Our vets cremation service runs through the local dog pound, where they offer a private service at an extra cost or a communial serivce. Nala was cremated privately by a gentleman who runs a boarding kennels, I only knew of his service through word of mouth he didn't advertise, he also provided the casket and plaque, I took her myself as I worried about the sernario you mentioned. It may be worth asking around to see if a similar service is offered locally. Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Very sorry you're having to go through this my heart is breaking for you Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Our vets cremation service runs through the local dog pound, where they offer a private service at an extra cost or a communial serivce. Nala was cremated privately by a gentleman who runs a boarding kennels, I only knew of his service through word of mouth he didn't advertise, he also provided the casket and plaque, I took her myself as I worried about the sernario you mentioned. It may be worth asking around to see if a similar service is offered locally. Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Well that was supposed to say--

We went via our local vet and our two collies seem to have been treated better than my parents were by the undertakers; if the packaging we received for spreading the ashes were anything to go by . Vastly superior.

We spread the collies' ashes where they use to go and annoy ducks. The ducks assembled and then tried to eat the ashes.; Parents got a tree in a miliatry place,that died in the floods two years later.

I never thought to delve into the actual process of either .

But I have decided that TTis going in a basket in the same pleace I am going , But in a bigger basket. Duuno in which order though

Edited by lester

Here we can either leave them at the vets or take them up ourselves. I know some places allow you to wait whilst its done but we dont have that over here. Other things to think about are what to do with the ashes, we can have them scattered in the field alongside the crematorium or collected in urns or in a small box if you to do your own thing. Another thing to bear in mind is that after pts most vets will allow you to stay for a while with your pet if you want and payement is normally done via a bill in the post. However all vets vary so might be best to check things first.

My dogs have always been done at home. Both sets of vets have used Cambridge Pet Crematorium. I think I am right in saying that they have a sliding scale of charges - they do have a multiple cremation, where several pets will be cremated at the same time, and you get a portion of those ashes returned to you. The individual service is more expensive. Both girlies came back to me about a week later, after a phone call from the vets to go and collect them - they now live in their boxes on top of the bookcase in the living room.

:GroupHug:

My vet has arranged most of our cremations. We've always had a private cremation and had the ashes back in lovely box.

When I had a friend staying with me and her kitten died by drowning we took them both to the crematorium my vet used at the time. I phoned ahead to say we were coming as it was evening and they were just about to shut for the weekend. They stayed open and were so gentle with her and with Pebbles. She was allowed to stay with Pebbles as long as she wanted to say goodbye and they were very understanding. They sent Pebbles back to our vet for us to collect, in a lovely little china urn with her name written on the front.

I honestly can't fault the service we've received for any of our animals.

I'd suggest you contact your vet to find out which crematorium they use and then phone them to chat about how they do things. You'll learn a lot from their attitude to you. And maybe they'd let you go along and see around the place to set your mind at rest. I find it much easier to leave it all to my vet. They carry our beloved animals away gently and put them in their van wrapped in blankets and I'm sure they're treated gently the whole time, as they were in their lives.

Saying goodbye is a really important part of life and I hope you find a way which comforts you.

Diane

I also went through my vet for creamtion,both Daisy and Zico's deaths were totally unexpected and I hadn't considered ahead what plans to make.They had individual cremations,I contacted the crematorium to be assured it would be so.Daisy was cremated with her favourite toy :wub: and I have lovely caskets as well for both of them.I paid £159.00 for her cremation,a lot of money but I wanted to make sure it was individual.The crematorium is in Bristol so probably not much use to you.I've kept their ashes and when the time comes I want them to be joined with mine and any other dogs I may have and scattered on my beloved Quantock Hills.