UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I am currently working with a young person who has approached me for help in finding a new home for his dog as a matter of urgency.

The young person currently lives with his brother (who took over tenancy of their council flat when their mother passed away three years ago) and their lovely dog Sky. The brother recently acquired a new girlfriend and she has now moved into the flat with them. Since her arrival there have been a number of problems and she has made it clear that both my client and Sky are no longer welcome. I am currently working with the housing team to find accommodation for my client, but I (and my client) are very concerned that Sky will end up being palmed off onto anybody willing to take her. The girlfriend has also talked about breeding from her to try and make some money before rehoming hersad.gif But has agreed to hold off for the time being in the hope that I may be able to help.

I have met Sky on a number of occasions and she is a beautiful dog with a lovely temperament. She is said to be a labrador cross, but we are not sure what she is crossed with, maybe a collie. She is medium sized and aged four years. She is not speyed, vaccinated or microchipped, but I have given the family a token to get this done.

She gets on well with dogs outside of the house and enjoys engaging in play with them. Although she has never lived with another dog in the past, we think she would be ok with a polite older dog. She has previously lived with a guinea pig and a rat and paid no attention to them. Apparently she is scared of cats and rabbits, but does not show any signs of aggression towards them. When the girlfriend first moved into the flat she had custody of her two children (aged three and five). My client tells me that they would often pull Sky's ears and tail and torment her with food. Despite this, Sky did not retaliate and would just try to get away from them. However on one occasion the three year old woke her whilst she was sleeping and she accidentally knocked her over when she jumped up.

sky.jpg

sky1.jpg

She is fully house trained and is often left for long periods of time without any problems. The longest she has been left alone for is two days sad.gif

Obviously for professional reasons I can't go into too many details publicly, but I am happy to discuss things in more detail if anyone would like to PM me. I have obtained permission from both the brother and girlfriend to make this post.

If you think you can help please get in contact with me asap. flowers.gif

Edited by Laura_E

It might also be worth trying The Mayhew

Thanks. I have tried them but they have a very long waiting list and won't be able to help any time soon.

Last night Sky was left tethered outside the pub for the fourth time in the last fortnight. They take her out, get drunk and then forget about her. She is due to come into season soon as well, so this makes her even more vulnerable. sad.gif

I have emailed quite a few rescues, but haven't heard anything back. sad.gif

Poor dog :(

I expect that you've also tried Battersea? There's also a branch in Windsor which can be contacted separately.

Do Rescue Remedies take hand-ins or just poundies?

A bit further out, but I've had some contact with DBARCin the past and found them very good.

Edited by Karen

Laura, All Dogs Matter in London is another one you could try - www.alldogsmatter.co.uk . Good luck, Sky looks a lovely girl.

Thanks. flowers.gif I have emailed them but I know they are quite full at the moment and primarily (and rightfully) take pound dogs.

Poor dog :(

I expect that you've also tried Battersea? There's also a branch in Windsor which can be contacted separately.

Do Rescue Remedies take hand-ins or just poundies?

A bit further out, but I've had some contact with DBARCin the past and found them very good.

Thanks. Battersea wouldn't even entertain me, but I will try the other links. flowers.gif

how close to the season is she?

According to my client she is about a week away from her next season.