UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bad Back

Hello,

Wonder if any of you might be able to help, my little collie girl Tilly has a herniated disc in her back, and she needs to rest (if only I could find a way to explain it to her) - she hasn't been out for a walk for 6 weeks, we did try one short walk but she got so excited that she jumped about on her lead and we are now back to square one. I have asked the vet about meds to calm her but it would be for a long time and neither of us are that keen. She is already on Tramadol which is supposed to have a sedative effect anyway but she is used to 2 hour long walks a day all off lead and she swam for 40 minutes twice a week against the jets, so she was a busy and fit little girl, even though she is 11.

She has had a very difficult year, she lost her best friend just before Christmas, but I can't bring another dog into the house until she is fixed. She is stressed, unhappy and unable to entertain herself so she chewing holes in her feet, climbing the walls etc etc. I have managed to get the vet to agree to gentle swimming twice a week but even that is frustrating for her as she used to go for fun and fitness so she expects to tear up and down at 100 miles an hour and now she has to wear a life jacket and swim slowly, which she thinks is just rubbish.

The injury to her back is a pain but I am more worried about her depression, so was looking for any very gentle games that anyone might know which would keep her mentally stimulated and reduce her stress. She suffers from Inflamatory bowel disease so bones etc are out but I have tried Kongs and Treatballs which worked for a while but she has now got them figured out and so is no longer that interested.

If you have any ideas, however silly they might sound, please just go ahead and post them up and I will give them a try, desperate to get her better and get another oldie into both our lives.

Thanks,

flowers.gif

Sorry to hear that Tilly is suffering. :GroupHug: I know you said that she got bored with kongs etc, but if these were extra to her usual meal then thats possible. What about ditching her food bowl and feed all her meals in treat balls/kongs, a selection over the course of the day.Or try freezing the stuffed kong so it lasts longer. Also, if she is allowed to potter around the garden, scatter her food (assuming she is on kibble) around the garden for her to find. I know you said she is used to lots of exercise but I think the main problem with the depression is mental boredom. So exercise her brain instead of her body. Try the Nina Ottonson toys for her too. Link to toys

What about giving clicker training a go too, depending what she can do. Maybe teach her to cross paws (lying down) or hide her nose or something? Or play hide and seek in the house with her favourite toy, getting her to use her nose and brain?

Thanks Saf, I have had a look at the toys and I am going to get some to look at, although it may be a while before she can use them, as they may be just a bit too exciting at the moment but once she is a bit calmer they will be great.

The clicker training thing is genius, I had thought about it but had my head struck in formal training mode rather than fun mode and I wasn't sure what to try, so you have done me a real favour there rolleyes.gif we started working on smile as soon as I saw your post yesterday because thats really easy on her back but when that is established I plan to move on to 'hide' , and perhaps see if she could do something with her lovely ears such as 'surprise'.

The food thing I really feel quite stupid about, you are right I was giving her kongs in addition to her meals, its just the thing that dinner goes in a dinner bowl, anyway, she has had a tiny breakfast in her bowl for some of her medicine but after todays little swim we are going to have a very gentle game of find the lunch, indoors but will work towards daily 'food hunt' in the garden once she is a little more settled.

Can't thank you enough - sometimes you are just too close to the wood to see the trees.

Tilly sent you an ear wash (she thinks its just great, hope you don't mind) tongue.gif

No problem. :flowers: My friends dog also does 'lick your lips' :biggrin: Or you could do 'go to sleep' (close your eyes). Glad you have some ideas to be going on with. I think just the change in routine will be nice for her anyway as she won't know what to expect from you next! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...