UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Election - Decisions Decisions ...

snow

UKIP are the only party so far to respond copied below

Dear Melanie Rushmore,

Many thanks for your email which was forwarded to me as a member of the UKIP Policy team.

UKIP are the party of direct democracy for we trust the British people. This means that we want the public to decide major and local issues in national or local referenda.

In detailed terms, this means that depending on the nature of the constituency (and normally 5%), sign a petition demanding a referendum on any “qualifying issue†that concerns them, within a 6 month period for national petitions and 3 months for local petitions, shall be granted a referendum.

If you want to change a law or a regulation, we will give you the power and opportunity to do so.

Yours sincerely,

N Stewart

UKIP Policy Team

laugh.gif Some hope. I reckon when you hear we will not put up income tax you should think no, but you will put up VAT or N.I. or perhaps extend what Vat applies to.

The economy is in a mess & no matter who gets in we will all be paying more somewhere very shortly I think rolleyes.gif

Interesting that no-one has commented yet on Gordies "Bigot" gaffe. :laugh:

I for one think that Cameron & Clegg are thinking "there but for the grace of God go I".

How many of us in the privacy of our own home have voiced an opinion on someone? It could have been far worse, more vitriolic and with many swear words involved, no doubt loads of politicians have been on the recieving end and have erupted after a confrontation, but without a microphone involved. :biggrin:

I have noticed there seems to be a little less mudslinging in this election.

If he'd not just told her how good it was to meet her, she was wearing the right colours etc moments before I might have agreed but little old lady Labour voter looking truly hurt, Prime Minister looking like he's untrustworthy / two faced and then coming out with a bltantly insincere "sincere" apology? I think he's dropped himself right in it and knew it judging by his appearance when he was shown being asked about it on radio. Probably the final nail in his coffin & just a question of whether we get Cameron, Clegg or a hung parliament now I suspect.

I have been able to find out their policies on armed forces, housing & jobs etc what I'm also interested in knowing is where they stand on the DDA and Puppy Farming - Lib Dems apparently supported the repeal of DDA and introduction of the Dog Control Bill in it's place they seem to be saying they want to target the right end of the lead but does anyone know what exactly it is they support when it comes to issues concerning dogs?

the Conservatives (David Cameron's office) replied this re the DDA last week:

"We need a comprehensive approach to this problem with a focus on the minority of owners who use dangerous dogs as weapons, not the vast majority of responsible dog lovers.

Conservatives are reviewing the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 to see how it can be made more effective, and have been working with organisations such as the RSPCA, the Dogs Trust and the Kennel Club. There needs to be greater emphasis on individual owner responsibility and ‘deed not breed’, to tackle the rise in the use of dogs as weapons. We support extending dangerous dogs law to cover all places including private property, so that postal workers for example, can be protected from dangerous dogs, and we support giving police and councils more powers to tackle the problem of dangerous dogs by the introduction of Dog Control Notices. Micro-chipping pets is part of responsible ownership and we encourage greater use of micro-chipping so that pets can be traced to a legally accountable owner and to assist with cases of stolen, abandoned and stray animals."

and the Leader, Liberal Democrat Group, London Assembly has this to say on DDA;

Dear Ms Dunckley

Thank you for your email regarding Liberal Democrat party policy on dangerous dogs.

The London Assembly is not directly responsible for legislation in this area, however my colleagues on the Metropolitan Police Authority have urged the Metropolitan Police to work with London's borough councils to tackle the use of animals as weapons, take firm action against owners and crackdown on the mis-treatment of animals.

In the General Election (the GLA is not up for election until 2012), the Liberal Democrat manifesto states our belief that ownership and use of animals is a responsibility that should not be abused and we have pledged to merge existing quangos to establish an Animal Protection Commission to investigate abuses, educate the public and enforce the law. [pg. 54-55].

I trust this helps with your enquiry

and Labour although asked specifically about the DDA replied;

Dear Ms Dunckley

Thank you four e-mail.

With the passing of the Animal Welfare Act 2006, Labour put into law the most fundamental piece of animal welfare legislation for nearly a century. The act introduced a new duty of care on people to ensure the needs of any animal for which they are responsible; while creating a new offence of failing to provide for the needs of an animal in your care. The new laws place more emphasis on owners and keepers who now need to understand their responsibilities and take all reasonable steps to provide for the needs of their animals.

While we have achieved a lot, we also recognise that it is vital that we look to ensure that the measures we have put in place are rigorously enforced, and that we continue to protect the rights of animals. We will continue seeking to win domestic and international support for further measures which protect the well being of animals in Britain and around the world. We must tackle cruelty head on, working to ensure that cruel and illegal practices are stamped out.

Thank you for contacting the Labour Party.

Regards

David-John Mather

Membership and Communications Unit

The Labour Party

there is some policy info here;

http://www.general-election-2010.co.uk/labour-policies-animal-welfare.html

Edited by kola

I don't think Gordon was at all sorry he'd said it, he was just sorry he got found out :laugh: All that work he's done on cultivating his nice guy image too :rolleyes:

I laughed my head off at reports that said when the BBC reporter shoved the microphone in Gillian's face and excitedly said: 'You're live on BBC, tell us what you think?' she just said 'I'm not going through it all again' and stomped off to the shop :laugh:

Seriously though, I really, really don't know which way to vote :wacko: