UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Election - Decisions Decisions ...

snow

Hazel Blears has been returned in my constituency, as expected.

It's stilll not done and dusted though, there's a way to go yet and some of the decisions may be challenged. It doesn't look as if, even if Labour and Lib Dems joined forces, they would have sufficient seats to form a government, so it looks like we'll end up with Conservatives and Lib dems.

We had a huge conservative swing, giving them the seat from Labour - certainly a desire for a change in Government here, as we have had labour for the last 3 or 4 elections and the swing was BBBBBBBIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

I think I'd like to see a Tory/Lib Dem government (though it would have been better for the lib dems to have had more seats)

Looks like you're going to get your wish Murtle as Clegg has indicated that Tories will get first dibs on an alliance with them.

I can only cling onto the hope that because they didn't win outright, they won't have full power to do a lot of the things they want to do, including bring back fox hunting.

Hopefully it will only be for a short while, I can't see a coalition lasting the full term (not even sure if it's allowable).

Yes I like the idea of a joint group so that no one group can push/force/snak anyhin through. I hope that because of the numbers things like fox hunting won't be a popular one to be brought back to the table, and I hope it shakes/wakes politics up. This election seems to have brought people out to vote, talk, discuss anad argue about what they believe in and what they want from their government whereas there seemed to be levels of resignation in not bothering before.

I think it's a fantastically interesting time to be in and see what happens.

(hold onto your seats, we are in for a ride :huh: )

:flowers:

Most people that I have spoken to are hoping (with fingers crossed!!) that they will work together as adults. Instead of the usual childish squabbling and bitchy backbiting. Well that would probably be a first, at least in recent years!!!!!

• 2 years later...

Coming up for 3 years on now & I found myself wondering if you had known then what you know now would it have changed your vote?

Of course those who simply wont work need to be encouraged to do so but I don't believe that is the majority of the jobless at all.

I for one am appalled by what the current Government is doing - nothing to create jobs yet driving the poorest in society ever further into poverty or now possibly even out of their homes. There was a guy on local radio the other day whose "spare" bedroom is housing a dialysis machine. He still needs to find another £49 (he didn't say whether weekly, fortnightly or monthly)to cover the drop in his housing benefit - he's a sick / disabled man not feckless for gods sake.

To my mind yesterdays Mirror was therefore unfair as this goes way beyond anything Margaret Thatcher was ever criticised for - ie the poll tax & school milk - Cameron, Clegg & Co ought to be ashamed of themselves in my view.

I wonder A) whether I'll ever vote tory again? & B) Who I will vote for next time? Given that it wont be the current lot & Labour got us into this mess I think it's probably going to have to be UKIP, even if only as a protest vote!

What about you?

Tbh, I think they are trying to make the best out of a pretty dire situation that Labour left. The bedroom tax is a difficult one, in one mind, I don't think one person should have a 4 bedroomed property, but equally I know there is very few one bedroomed properties out there, so I think if you can prove you are actively looking for a house, then you should be exempted from the extra tax. If people refuse to move, then that is when the tax should be brought in.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

So, the song once said what a difference a day makes......and here we are 5 years on.

I've always believe in getting people into work, helping them build their lives, lower taxes etc etc and yet I'm appalled by the way it's been / is going to be done if they get back in so I'm absolutely not wanting Cameron, Osbourne & Duncan Smith to be given another 5 years. If they've lost other people like me Cameron is going to be out - he couldn't win with us!

However, I have little faith in Milliband - some of the things he saying re no deals - especially with the SNP - but still expecting to be PM are just ridiculous & he was part of the Brown Government that got us into this mess with the bankers. I don't believe that Clegg can or should win and am not a fan of coalition / compromise Government so what does it leave........ voting UKIP.....also unlikely to win, just not bothering?

Damned if we do and damned if we don't it seems to me. Where is Richard Pryor (Brewster millions) when we need him?

How has 5 years of this Government affected your views?