UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Election - Decisions Decisions ...

snow

No, nor me. I've pretty much decided I'm not voting Labour this time, and that much as I like the Green policies of the Green party, some of their other ideas, particularly on the economy, are a bit :wacko: and I just can't see them getting anywhere with them .

That leaves me with a choice of Con, Lib, UKIP and Mebyon Kernow in this constituency, all of whom have a few things in favour of them, and other things against them...

Am almost thinking I might go UKIP or MK, because those candidates almost certainly woudn't be elected, so then I would feel free to grumble happily at whatever government we end up with, safe in the knowledge that I didn't help put them there! :laugh:

Mind you that's still 2 options. I may have to toss a coin!

closedeyes.gif I think we've all been far to slow off the mark & should have taken a leaf out of the film Brewsters Millions, putting up a "Vote none of the above" candidate, might have been a landslide by now laugh.gif

More seriously though, listening to some of the debates I think all of them offer some things I do want and some things I definitely don't want, maybe I'm just getting older and more cantankerous but I hionestly don't recall that ever being quite so apparent before, so some hard choices to come for many of us in the next week or so perhaps wacko.gif

No, nor me. I've pretty much decided I'm not voting Labour this time, and that much as I like the Green policies of the Green party, some of their other ideas, particularly on the economy, are a bit wacko.gif and I just can't see them getting anywhere with them .

That leaves me with a choice of Con, Lib, UKIP and Mebyon Kernow in this constituency, all of whom have a few things in favour of them, and other things against them...

Am almost thinking I might go UKIP or MK, because those candidates almost certainly woudn't be elected, so then I would feel free to grumble happily at whatever government we end up with, safe in the knowledge that I didn't help put them there! laugh.gif

Mind you that's still 2 options. I may have to toss a coin!

laugh.gif I kind of like your thinking on this one. I don't have to worry about Mebyon Kernow around here either tongue.gif though I'm also concerned at the possibility of wasting my vote & then finding I get something I definitely didn't want as a result unsure.gif

Interesting that no-one has commented yet on Gordies "Bigot" gaffe. :laugh:

I for one think that Cameron & Clegg are thinking "there but for the grace of God go I".

How many of us in the privacy of our own home have voiced an opinion on someone? It could have been far worse, more vitriolic and with many swear words involved, no doubt loads of politicians have been on the recieving end and have erupted after a confrontation, but without a microphone involved. :biggrin:

I agree. As for the sweet old lady Labour-voter...if she'd been 25, would we have thought she was sweet? There's a lot of patronising tosh in the papers about her and her views on immigration - hers was a stupid question, stupidly expressed. We all know which parties support the use of words such as "flocking" and "flooding" when used in relation to immigration - and the Labour party isn't one of them.

I think Mrs Duffy forgets how life has improved for most people in theis country - here she is, complaining that her grandchildren may not be able to afford university fees, but they're just back from an Australian holiday. :rolleyes:

I agree with Gordon Brown, I'm afraid - and that doesn't mean I like the man. I'm nearly the same age as that dear old lady, and I know plenty of people like her. They are bigots.

Reply from the Green Party - Caroline Allen MRCVS, policy co-ordinator:

The Green Party has always had very strong policies on animalprotection and there is specific section in our manifesto devoted tothis important issue: http://www.greenparty.org.uk/policies/policies_2010/2010manifesto_environment.html#farming

We share your concern about unlicensed breeding premises and recognisethe very serious animal welfare implications of the current situation.

The conditions in which the animals are kept are often poor and thepuppies are more likely to suffer from preventable infectious disease.In addition, there is a very real issue of overbreeding of dogs at themoment and an appauling number of healthy animals are being euthanasedsimply because they do not have a home. There is also a significantcost implication to local authorities, who now have responsibility forstray dogs. The Green Party would introduce a strict licensing of all animalbreeders and ensure that this licensing was enforced. We would ensurethere were adequate resources for this enforcement, which is a bigpart of the problems at the moment.

We would require all Local Authorities to employ an Animal Protection Officer to oversee thissort of work.

The Green Party does not believe that the Dangerous Dog legislation is working. There are more "pitbull" types than ever before, and theyhave become a status symbol. We believe in "deed not breed" but recognize there is a serious problem with the rising ownership ofthese "status dogs." This is an area where there is no quick fix, butwe would re-introduce compulsory dog licensing, subside neuteringprogrammes, improve education on pet ownership, and look to expand on the successful schemes currently being carried out by the some police forces and local authorities.

We also recognize that the issue of irresponsible pet ownership is a problem of wider society and isrelated to anti-social behavior. Our strong preventative policies onyouth crime, drugs and inequality are just as important to considerhere. On compulsory microchipping, we would go further and call for doglicensing. This would require microchipping in order to be successful.

I shredded the English democrats leaflet along with an independent candidate who is battling for Northampton to be the capital of the county and to stop the council spending all the money on Milton Keynes - which happens to be in another county so f*ck all to do with our council, guess he's the independent thick t*ssers party. This election seems to be totally focused on the party leaders and as far as I'm aware none of the local candidates have been around, it's just leaflets pushed through the door every day, which really winds me up.

Perhaps I'll vote for the least junk mail party :laugh:

Edited cos I type like a thick t*sser :biggrin:

Edited by chickentikka

This election seems to be totally focused on the party leaders and as far as I'm aware none of the local candidates have been around, it's just leaflets pushed through the door every day, which really winds me up.

Perhaps I'll vote for the least junk mail party :laugh:

At least you got leaflets-we didn't get not one single one!

Maybe the dogs put them off :biggrin:

For me it's about keeping the tories out. Mostly because of the fox hunting issue but also because they are a party about protecting the wealthy and stuff everyone else, and because, as a civil servant, their getting in puts my job at risk.

I think a lot of animal lovers will feel the same way so then it becomes not about who you think should win, but who, in your constituency, has the ability to block the tories from winning. In my constituency that's the Lib Dems which I'm pleased about as that's where my allegiance lies anyway. Although I'd be content to vote Labour too if needed. I don't care much for Brown but anyone is better than slimy, fox hunting Cameron.

The Vote Power website posted earlier in the thread (http://www.voterpower.org.uk/) helps to show how things lie in your constituency. To me there's little point umming and ahhing between parties if a naively chosen vote results in letting your least favourite option in by the back door. Sadly that's one of the failings of our current voting system.

Thanks for that link Sproggie. Apparently in my constituency I only have the equivalent of 0.028 votes and the average UK voter has 9.09 more power than voters in my constituency. wacko.gif We need proportional representation, it's the only way we can guarantee a truly representative government.

Mine's an ultra safe Labour constituency and that's not going to change, even if it is the poison dwarf Hazel Blears.

Edited by merledogs

As a small (v small) business then I feel I am better under the Tories. I like the fact that they will also scrap children tax credits for those earning 50K plus - I have always felt that was hugely unfair and a waste of tax payers money. It should be for those on lower incomes only. I also am pro scraping inheritance tax - you've worked all your life to provide for your children and hopefully leave them something when you die; you've been taxed enough, why on earth should you be taxed again on your deathbed!? All of the votematch Q's I've done online put me as a firm conservative voter. Fox hunting is just not high enough on my agenda. Animal welfare here and abroad as a whole is and I just don't think any of the Parties sufficently cover this, and certainly not enough to distinguish between one and another. I have been impressed with Lib Dem but I see holes appearing in their policies and I just don't have the confidence in them to vote them in - they didn't expect to be in the position they are, maybe next time ....

Whoever gets in will have a dreadful time ahead and I don't envy them. It was announced today that the UK deficit is far worse than annouced previously by the current Treasurer. God help us!

Edited by tegk68

Just as an aside on fox hunting I believe out of the three main parties it is ONLY Labour who have categorically pledged to keep the Hunting Ban, the lib dems rather sitting on the fence on this. If this is your main issue then I think you need to look at all your local candidates and see where they stand on this and vote accordingly, otherwise I guess you could unwittingly vote in a 'supporter'.

Edited by tegk68

Whoever gets in will have a dreadful time ahead and I don't envy them. It was announced today that the UK deficit is far worse than annouced previously by the current Treasurer. God help us!

Yes. I saw a quote somewhere that whoever gets in this time is probably going to have to make such severe cuts/tax rises that they probably won't get elected again for a generation...

I'm somewhat amused by the reporting I'm seeing saying it's selfish to vote Conservative as they are concerned with the wealth of business owners, whereas people who work in the public sector should responsibly vote Labour to protect their jobs. I'm a small business owner, most of my public sector worker friends earn far more than I do, AND they get pensions, and paid holidays, and sick pay! :laugh: Hey ho.

We're bound to end up with a Lib Dem here, it's about as close to a safe seat as they've got. I do usually vote Lib Dem, I'm just a bit worried about Nick Clegg (who writes me such nice letters :laugh: ) as PM. I'm not 100% sure he's ready :unsure:

Oh I dunno. All this agonising and it probably won't make an ounce of difference...

Just as an aside on fox hunting I believe out of the three main parties it is ONLY Labour who have categorically pledged to keep the Hunting Ban, the lib dems rather sitting on the fence on this. If this is your main issue then I think you need to look at all your local candidates and see where they stand on this and vote accordingly, otherwise I guess you could unwittingly vote in a 'supporter'.

Lib Dems have said they will not give any more time to discussing hunting. Which isn't quite the answer I'd like to hear but basically if they are in power they have no plans to do anything to repeal the ban. But yes, with a lot of Lib Dems in country seats it does come down to individual MPs to a large extent. ONLY the tories actively plan to waste parliament time repealing a law which at least 75% of the population support because they find it fun to tear foxes to bits.