UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sofy'S Bird Obsession

Wendbert

Sofy has a bit of a problem with birds. More than a bit, she's obsessed!

About a month after she arrived, we were out on a walk with some other people and dogs and Sofy disappeared into a thick hedge and after a few minutes came out with a bird in her mouth. She brought it to me but refused to let go and ate it.

Since then, I've noticed that Sofy is always watching birds while we're out but she's not caught another. However, the other day when we were on the Downs, she suddenly focused on something in the distance and shot off at high speed. I then saw a hawk or similar sized bird was hovering low over the ground and that's where she was heading! Next thing, there was a squawk from the bird and it flew off and Sofy looped round and came running back to where I was.

When there are no birds in sight, Sofy's recall is excellent - she listens to me, comes back nearly every time (apart from the odd time she's found something to roll in!). For the rest of our walk, I put her back on lead but she was constantly looking out for birds.

Any idea's how I can stop her going for birds?

Noah likes chasing birds a habit he picked up from Winnie

after Winnie died I managed to teach Noah recall ( when they were together I had no hope ) I use Ham on every single walk and I often call Noah back when he is running ( just running not chasing ) and I have managed to turn him around few times so far when he is chasing but its a work in progress. He does not get the ham every time he comes back but its about a 50 % chance and that motivates him. Sometimes he comes back without me calling him and still expects ham !

Another bird obsessed one here, but luckily not with the little birds which she could probably catch. Wispa only chases magpie size and upwards, and aircraft. She did nearly get a buzzard once, which scared me witless as there could have been serious damage to both of them. There are a few pheasants and wood pigeons missing tail feathers I'm afraid.

• 2 months later...

A friend of mine had a rescue Lurcher that caught birds as well as small furries and she invested in one of those aerosol airhorns. Every time Tim took off after something she'd blow it and, the dog was shocked enough to stop and the intended victim had enough time to scarper.

It took about a fortnight to stop him alerting to potential victims and it IS a horrible noise.

Maybe a Vuvuzela would work? ;)