UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Food Do You Feed?

Pingu

Ours are fed on Burns, we used to buy it direct from Burns, but this website is cheaper!! We have used it a few times, delivery isn't quite as speedy as Burns themselves, but they generally deliver within the weekbiggrin.gif

Edited cos the hyperlink didn't work!!

Edited by gooster

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 large senior dogs (12 and 14) on Pro Plan Senior twice daily with half tin Butchers in gravy or fresh cooked mince and veg to moisten; smaller geriatric collie x has a pack of Nature Diet divided in 2 meals daily with a handful of JWB puppy kibble (very few teeth!) and last thing before bed they have a pack of Nature Diet between them as a treat. They all have steady weight and what my gran used to call 'sweet tummies' - in other words no upsets and firm poos!

Newest senior dog had lots of problems with wind through digestive problems caused by neglect and being worm ridden when he was signed over in December and his first foster mum did an excellent job sorting out the worming and getting him on a healthy diet as he was very skinny; he's been with me 4 weeks and although the grandchildren are very disappointed that his spectacular belching and flatulence have largely disappeared changing to Pro Plan has helped as has the use of a raised feeder, which I use for all my oldie big dogs.

My son and his wife run a pet store and through trial and error have found Pro Plan has been best for their 3 labs and Belgian Shepherd.

Sorry to sound like an ad. for the product but it works for my lot!

Ours are fed on Burns, we used to buy it direct from Burns, but this website is cheaper!! We have used it a few times, delivery isn't quite as speedy as Burns themselves, but they generally deliver within the weekbiggrin.gif

Edited cos the hyperlink didn't work!!

That's fab, thanks for the link. The Burns is a really good price so might try that next time flowers.gif

Edited by merledogs

JWB lamb and veg with Forthglade wet and random extras - eggs, sardines, grated carrot, chicken soup... plus lots of dried tripe .

I've tried Mollydog on a number of foods and eventually worked out that she is prone to runny bum on anything containing rice or maize (she can cope with a certain amount o fwheat or oats, but this seems to be an unusual thing, most 'sensitive' foods contain rice). I don't think she suffers any other ill effects from rice -she seemed quite cheerful and good condition eating it - but it's messier to scoop so I decided to go grainfree and since that's what she has, so does Az.

Oh, I get Barking Heads Fusspot occasionally as a substitute for JWB. That's salmon and potato with a little oats and seems to go down well.

Since we lost Zen, Merlin won't touch anything that has been anywhere near dog food, not that he ate much of it before rolleyes.gif

He firmly believes that if it is good enough for humans then he should have it too biggrin.gif so I just have to cook extra, mind you he still waits till we have finished in case we have something different that he just might prefer wacko.gif

Just changed Bonnie to Nature's Menu, because Naturediet now appears to make her constipated - they must have changed the recipe recently. I feed her twice a day, a third of a Nature's Menu sachet at a time - so she isn't exactly an expensive dog. :laugh:

She also has home cooked food every few days - scrambled egg, for example - and bits of our left-over vegetables, chicken, or fish.

The cats have Arden Grange and Applaws. And bits of (free range) chicken as a treat.

I keep saying I'm going to try my pair on raw but I keep chickening out, Jane gave me a couple of hearts and something else but they are still in the freezer after a couple of months, I bought some chicken wings last week and I'm desperately trying to pluck up the courage to give them to the dogs, I thought that if I give them to Arran and Abby first thing in the morning if something should go wrong then I can get them to the vets quickly :( , I'm such a big bloody woose.

Terri

JWB lamb and veg with Forthglade wet and random extras - eggs, sardines, grated carrot, chicken soup... plus lots of dried tripe .

I've tried Mollydog on a number of foods and eventually worked out that she is prone to runny bum on anything containing rice or maize (she can cope with a certain amount o fwheat or oats, but this seems to be an unusual thing, most 'sensitive' foods contain rice). I don't think she suffers any other ill effects from rice -she seemed quite cheerful and good condition eating it - but it's messier to scoop so I decided to go grainfree and since that's what she has, so does Az.

Spud doesn't do well on rice either, he'll have one normal poo, and then one squidgy one.

.....and yes Terri, you are a woose rolleyes.gif why not try one of the meats first ?

I keep saying I'm going to try my pair on raw but I keep chickening out, Jane gave me a couple of hearts and something else but they are still in the freezer after a couple of months, I bought some chicken wings last week and I'm desperately trying to pluck up the courage to give them to the dogs, I thought that if I give them to Arran and Abby first thing in the morning if something should go wrong then I can get them to the vets quickly :( , I'm such a big bloody woose.

Terri

The first time O bought chicken wings for the dogs I kept them in the freezer for two weeks. Then I decided that it was a waste of money having them there so plucked up the courage to feed on each.

One dog took it out into the garden and lay down with it between her paws, the other took his round to the garage and demolished it.

Meanwhile I stood at the door watching them, feeling sick.

Eventually I snipped the skin of the wing for my bitch who was still lying on the grass with hers. She then ate it with gusto.

I watched them like a hawk all day and hardly ate a bite. My stomach was in a knot. But nothing untoward happened

But, I could not go through that again, so the rest of the wings remained in the freezer.

A couple of months later I met someone who I knew fed her dogs a raw diet and had a long- 2 hours- chat with her( in Homebase. I am sure they thought we were up to no good). After that I came home with the resolve to feed my dogs on raw food.

I defrosted two chicken wings and tried again. This time both dogs enjoyed them and I did not feel sick.

That was ten years ago and I have fed a raw diet since then.

Mine have a real mix, probably about one quarter CSJ Champ, which I buy a pallet at a time so about £7 a sack, plus raw if they want it, they all each have a "pluck" raw about once a week. Chicken wings, breasts of lamb raw, fish and shrimp when we catch it. They also have a lot of home cooked food with a range of veg, so today they have a stew of kidney, rice, sweet potatoes, celeriac with stock and garlic and thyme ( as I have loads of it). I don't tend to buy dog food as I don't trust a lot of it. Tommorow two chickens pot roated with celery and carrots and spinach, stripped of the bone with CSJ. I cannot get my head around feeding just kibble no matter how good it is, I would hate to eat the same thing everyday, and IMHO I do think it damages their constitution.

I have to beat the chicken wings with a rolling pin for two of mine.

I wouldn't feed just raw as it doesn't seem to agree with them.

One dog took it out into the garden and lay down with it between her paws, the other took his round to the garage and demolished it.

Meanwhile I stood at the door watching them, feeling sick.

Eventually I snipped the skin of the wing for my bitch who was still lying on the grass with hers. She then ate it with gusto.

I watched them like a hawk all day and hardly ate a bite. My stomach was in a knot. But nothing untoward happened

You are not alone! Lots of people on BritBarf report feeding their first chicken wing while standing next to the phone with it on speed dial to the vet. Mine have been eating raw with great enthusiaim all their lives but I still haven't plucked up the courage to feed the two whole, unskinned rabbits that have been in my freezer for months. :rolleyes:

Troy (10-year old pyrenees): Wainwrights Trays - it's the only food at the moment that doesn't give him the runs

Dylan (9-year old lurcher): CSJ Lamb Senior/Light - he is prone to weight gain and this keeps him in good shape and I can still feed him a decent amount

Flash (5-year old saluki): Benevo with Missing Link and Vegezyme supplements. He is allergic to animal protein and is on a vegan diet.

Jesse (3-year old American cocker spaniel): home cooked, turkey mince, sweet potatoe, veg, fruit. Jesse is allergic to all sorts (including ALL dry foods), so needs a strict diet.

Vera