UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cesar Milan

Pingu

I know laods of you are not fans of his but...

we had a great night on saturday at his liverpool show. didnt get an opportunity to have a decent chat with him but hes a very nice man and is VERY in tune with dogs. the dogs that were there all got on with him and he had that something that seemed to make them like him.

we must have been on stage for all of 30 seconds but the behind the scenes stuff was impressive. the dogs that were in the green room with us were checked on by vets every 15 mins and all had to have a health check before they were allowed on stage.

katie took it all in her stride and just meandered onto stage with her "hmmm my agent didnt tell me there would be this many people, i need to ask for more liver" look.

for the Q&A session we sat out front as he wanted to use her to as a demonstration dog if any questions about breed specific stuff or people fearful of dogs came up - which was nice.

he came up with some quite sensible answers to the questions that were asked and the show seemed to go very well though if i had paid the extra for that bit of the show I would have been a bit miffed as i dont think it was good vfm

so training methods aside hes a nice bloke.

the support staff there were fanstastic and if any of you read this i would just liketo say thank you for making it an enjoyable experience and for the friendlyness during what was obviously a very hectic night.

I'm not too surprised you found him likeable / the show enjoyable. Even only seeing him by TV the man obviously does have charisma & something about him. He wouldn't have got where he is or the celebrity intro's without that. That's the plus side.

It's unfortunate though that despite that on the negative side he gives some truly appalling examples of dog "training" with some of the more difficult cases and also seemingly feels the need to prove he can do anything even when it's stupid & pointless (ie dragging that poor St Bernard up the stairs, which "anyone" could do..... but why would you?)

i fully agree re the training methods and am not a fan of some of his techniques myself.

However i can’t deny that he had that something around dogs. its hard to explain but dogs "know" doggie people and react differently to them. he certainly had that something. his friendliness was also very genuine and there were a couple of moments backstage where he went out of his way to be nice to people when he could done something else.

Maybe if he had learnt in the UK his methods would have been different. the US has some quite outdated training methods imo and i guess it’s only natural that he has used methods that are acceptable over there but not over here. I do think the tide is changing though and a release by his press team during the shows has given an indication that he may be moving away from a purely dominance based outlook and that he is going to be working more closely with some of the US humane societies.

i also hope that influences from the likes of Mary ray - who was also on a couple of his shows- will have demonstrated what you can achieve by clicker training and the use of positive reinforcers. If so it would be great as he is influential in the US on training styles and could be a huge catalyst for the take up of these methods. Will have to wait and see

So he has a natural affinity with dogs, they easily like and trust him, and then he takes advantage of that to physically and mentally abuse them to make a light entertainment programme. He is charming and personable with humans, and for his show to be so popular he must be excellent at judging what people want to see. The backlash / anti-aggresive training movement in America is reaching the stage where his highly lucrative show is starting to suffer, so now he's going to change tack and play to that instead.

Charismatic, manipulative, sadistic, lacking empathy, deceitful. That would tick most of the boxes for ASPD and is a pretty good description of a psychopath.

Well said PBOAE.

More vids of CM "training" dogs have popped up on Facebook - god knows for how long, because CM's company has apparently got youtube to remove some of the offending vids, because of "copyright issues" - using a shock collar on a GSD and choking a dog into submission. Would you not appear calm and submissive when your air supply had been cut off to the point of nearly passing out? I'd love to use the same tactics on "Mr" Milan and by god I will if he ever comes near my dogs, don't care how hard they'd wag their tails. :angry: :angry: :angry: