UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Am Sat Here Hands Shaking

mad as a catter

Phew! What a good job I was in the same room just now!

Wolfie and Bella were playing in the kitchen with me here on the pc. Then all of a sudden Ishkha took leave of her senses and started to attack Bella. It was because Bella didn't do the usual submissive thing and walk away from Wolfie, that it started to become a bullying thing. I quickly realised that Wolfie and Bella were stuck together with their collars.

So whilst my son tried to cut off one of the collars, I managed to disentangle them from each other. Bella has a couple of grazes on her, but nothing serious. I have removed Bella's collar.

Does anyone have any collar recommendations for me, as I realise they have to have a collar on to wear a dog tag and be legal outside our property?

It is the first time I have had this happen, and am thankful that I was home, as I could have come home to at least one dead dog. mecry.gif

crikey how scary :ohmy:

i don't have any experience of them but what about those break away collars?? i know a lot of cat owners use them incase their cats get caught up on branches whilst out.

glad to hear all of the dogs are o.k and it must've been very scary

I think Wolfie had got his mouth wrapped in the collar, and then one of them had rolled over as they were playing. Ishkha came over to say get off my pal, and was about to sort poor Bella out. Of course, I stepped in, and my son put her in the hall while we sorted the other two out.

I have to say the scissors were no good really, and only a good sharp knife would have done the trick if cutting had been the only way. Luckily, whilst he was swearing under his breath because the scissors were not effective quickly enough, I took a few deep breaths and had a good close look and managed to un-hook and release them.

Even now I feel a little shaken, and I have to out and scan and bring in a stray cat. Perhaps it will take my mind off it. I will remove Wolfie's collar before I go out!

The two dogs concerned were wearing half check type collars, of man made construction (not leather). But they are the sort that go over the head, and then you adjust to suit the size of your dog, there is no quick release bit to them. Even if they had a clip to them, who is to say it was accessible at that precise moment?

I feel a little better today, as it clearly shook me yesterday. Thanks for all your help. flowers.gif

Poor you, that must have been quite a shock Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Do they need to wear collars in the house, or could you just use them for walks?

It's always a difficult one, I like my dogs to have their tags on all the time in case anything happens and one of them gets out or something, but mine don't really wrestle or play-fight in a way where they are likely to get caught up in each other's collars. If they did I'd probably take their collars off when they were unsupervised.

I vaguely remember somebody posting a similar topic to this a few months back. Their dogs had been wearing half-check collars too.

Tess wears a fabric collar that just clicks in place, but then she is (thankfully) a total wuss and runs away from trouble so I couldn't say for certain that it wouldn't get stuck, but I can't see how it could.

I know that TRPD sometimes have house collars for auction too: http://petcraftproject.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=auctc&field=ordertime&order=desc&page=1

Well done for managing to remain calm enough to seperate them though. It must have been very scary. :flowers:

mine don't wear collars unless they go out, but thats my choice, there are risks either way (but mostly very unfortunate and hardly ever happen) so its your choice :) I have to have a good safe collar for my youngest as he's prone to lunging and has managed to break out of normal clip collars, so I use rogz dogz which look rather snazzy as well

When it happened to me, the collar that got twisted was one of those squishy padded ones, with a buckle, I couldn't undo the buckle as the collar was twisted so tightly there was no way to pull the buckle free, and Celli was losing conciousness. I now use leather half check collar's, but at the time Spud had a habit of grabbing collar's and using them to pull the other dog, he hasn't played like that since that incident. I think the only way to be sure it doesn't happen is to switch to harnesses's