UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Eventful Walk!

GoldenOldie

I felt I needed to share my experience from this morning which took several cups of sweet tea to get over - and that was just the dogs!

I set off for our usual walk this morning in the lovely sunshine with my aged and infirm lab, stone deaf and elderly but sprightly collie x and a staffie x aged 10 who thinks she's a pup. I've only been looking after Betty the staffie x for a week and in all her 10 years she has only ever been exercised on a lead. She is a chunky monkey and has a very thick neck but I had her on a combi collar as her harness needs replacing - mistake!

We progressed in our usual slow and stately manner up the lane at the back of the house (both me and the lab have arthritic knees) and as I stopped to do a poo pick up, having let the lab off lead, I realised I was holding 3 leads but with only 1 dog attached. Betty was heading back up the lane at the speed of light having slipped her collar, giving me a backward glance as I screeched - yes, screeched, Bettyyyyyy, sounding like Michael Crawford when he was Frank Spencer.

The old lab was ambling happily in the opposite direction and I couldn't leave her so I got her lead on, headed back down the lane at which point I met Betty coming back thinking this was a really good game; I bent down to get her collar back on, she skittered off again followed by me just as the collie x decided to stop and do an enormous poo and poor old lab lady fell over her looking very surprised before getting back on her feet.

There was no sign of Betty and I was trying to listen out for horse boxes and tractors from the farm as I headed back up the lane kicking myself as I am usually totally paranoid about keeping new dogs secure for their safety. As I got to the top of the lane Betty was bouncing around waiting for me with a silly staffie grin on her face obviously thinking that in the fun chasing dogs department I was sadly lacking!

She walked very nicely back home after I got her collar and lead back on and is just getting geared up for the second excursion of the day - this time with an old but secure harness I've ferreted out from a box of old leads. collars etc. I think her off lead training and recall need some work!