UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Too Much Month Left

Tisaann

dont discount the 'own brand' stuff in supermarkets. Many many years ago, I worked nights in a factory making lasagne. The same ingredients went into own brands, for 4 different large supermarkets. Kwik Save and Marks and spencers were the same would you beleive? The difference was that the kwik save ones were made faster and with less care, and the M+S were much slower and precise :laugh:

Pasta is cheap and filling. Also take a look at money saving expert. Somewhere on those forums are tips such as what times the various supermarkets start to cut the price of the more perishable goods, so you can time it to get the best foods cheaply.

Tesco have loads of stuff at a pound at the mo, 8 sausages, fish fingers, chicken fingers,12 barmcakes, fish in sauces, bsgd of spuds etc, me and the mother in law went round the other day filling our baskets with the pound stuff, the only thing we went over £1 on was milk, coffee and sugar!

Aldi fruit and veg are really cheap and good and the Sainsburys Basics range is also good for things like tinned tomatoes and tuna to make sauces for pasta and rice dishes. Minestrone soup with pasta, root veg, tomatoes, cabbage, onions and bacon also goes a long way and corned beef hash is really filling and tasty and a small tin of corned beef with lots of potato and onion and carrot makes a good quantity. Been there, done it and got the T shirt - good luck and enjoy whatever you cook! Isn't January a horrible month when it seems so long to get to pay day.

I was interested in Helly's response as my son worked ifor a large company selling dairy products. The yoghurt produced was exactly the same for all own brands, the difference being in the price and the quality and variety of the flavourings etc. It was a real eye opener for me.

Asda are also doing all sorts of £1 items. Intermittently they seem to have 10kg(?) bags of potatoes for £2, a fair saving on some of their smaller bags, though around here there's a few places sell 25kg bags for £4 or £5 throughout the year

Not a shop I can usually be bothered to queue in but I was passing a Lidl last w/e (?) 2kg of pasta for the usual price of 1kg (ie also about half of Asda's cheapest price).

Milk is cheap in Iceland if you have one 2.2l for £1 but poundshop, Farmfoods (both 2l for £1 I think), Heron etc also sell it at a cheaper rate than the supermarkets if you have those.

Sugar is also cheaper in poundshop (1.5kg for £1), Homebargains, Heron, Wilkinsons etc

and of course if you are passing the supermarket at the right time (they seem to have tightened up a lot on what they used to do around here) but say around tea time onwards & depending on stocks etc you can often grab reduced to clear items that you can cook that day, freeze etc.

I've always loved a bargain biggrin.gif

For a cheap meal you can buy bag of potatoes, carrots..I buy all own brand, own brand either stewed steak or corned beef and an onion..makes a HUGE pan of corned beef hash or something, I usually use what we need and freeze the rest., just one idea...its yum too, or another one is a couple of own brand bags of frozen mushy peas, own brand carrots again, onion and own brand gammon rounds, cube it and bung it all in together ... pea and ham soup, yum ! again you will get a BIG pan out of all that. Intead of adding just water I usually make a really weak gravy or a stock cube to make it tatier biggrin.gif

I made this the other day and it's really tasty, serve with rice or crusty bread - yum

1 x tsp cumin seeds

Olive oil

1 x onion (chopped)

1 x chorizo sausage (cubed)

1 x can chopped tomatoes

1 x can butter beans (or whatever beans you like really)

2 x red peppers (chopped)

100g Black olives (halved)

Salt and pepper to taste

(Best made night before for next day, Lidl is good n cheap for all the ingredients)

Enjoysmile.gif

Edited by Rocky

Do you have a Farm Foods store near you? Not a huge range but very low prices on what they have. Bags of all kinds of frozen chopped veg for £1, tinned stuff at discount prices, cheap milk, cheese and spuds. I just got a large frozen apple strudel for £1 with 4 good sized portions in it.

Have a look through this thread on MSE for ham hock recipes

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=256992

They are cheap and really tasty, you can get a hock or shank at the butcher for a couple of quid, less at the market.

I do these two in the slow cooker:

I do cook mine first overnight in a 6l slow cooker, while soaking some soup and broth mix. Next day, I remove all the yukky fat from it and put about 1/4 of the meat and half the stock to one side.

The remaining meat goes back in the slow cooker, with cubed potatoes, onions, carrots, root veggies, some shredded cabbage, chopped leeks, dried mixed herbs, veggie stock cubes, drained/rinsed soup and broth mix. That cooks all day and gets dumplings put in at the end.

Next night, I soak a box of dried peas and some yellow split peas. Following day, those are drained/rinsed and go in the slow cooker with the remaining stock, remaining ham, some chopped onions and celery if I've got some.

Two different meals out of one hock/shank