UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

2 Bunnies 'Free To Good Home'

I hope this is the right place to post this. I am a rescue, but I am not a rabbit rescue, cannot offer rescue backup for these, and they are not here. So basically I'm hoping that someone rabbity can help.

I went into a pet shop in Rugeley today. This one:

http://www.yell.com/b/The+Pet+Shop-Pet+Shops-Rugeley-WS152BY-1457841/index.html

They have two rabbits in there, in seperate enclosure / cage things, that both are labelled as free to good homes. I want to get them to a responsible rabbit loving home before some random person walks in and sees the word 'free' and then neglects the poor critters for the rest of their lives.

The shop is about ten minutes from me. So if anyone can help, but can't get there asap, I could go and pick up one bunny; only one at a time coz of cage space though :(

This one they said is definitely female:

Pic of first bunny

They don't know what gender this one is, but I would guess at female from the dewlap:

Pic of second bunny

Thank you for looking,

Nim

Well done you for trying to help, I'm too far away but you could see if there are any rescues near to you that could help?

Here's a list of Rabbit Rescues

Could you not take them and rehome after a suitable homecheck? I could tell you what to look for? If you can borrow 2 dog crates then the rabbits would be fine in those. Is there an RSPCA near you?

How can the petshop not know what sex the second rabbit is? They're not babies, so it's quite clear at their age!

From the pictures it looks like the first is female and second is male, but that's just a guess from face/profile.

Well done you for trying to help, I'm too far away but you could see if there are any rescues near to you that could help?

Here's a list of Rabbit Rescues

Could you not take them and rehome after a suitable homecheck? I could tell you what to look for? If you can borrow 2 dog crates then the rabbits would be fine in those. Is there an RSPCA near you?

How can the petshop not know what sex the second rabbit is? They're not babies, so it's quite clear at their age!

From the pictures it looks like the first is female and second is male, but that's just a guess from face/profile.

Thank you for your reply Rykat. And thank you for that link; that will be very useful for future reference. But no, there are no rabbit rescues in the area. There was one in Lichfield, but she's closed down; otherwise I'd have just taken them straight there.

I do not have the cage space for rabbits; I am a rat rescue, and have had to turn away rats recently because I'm full. We don't have any space for dog crates either :( I do know what to look for in homechecks .. since I do them myself obviously lol, but thank you for the offer.

There is an RSPCA near here, but I would never take animals from a pet shop, on the whim of hoping the RSPCA would take them. They wouldn't take them!

The pet shop in question is worse than useless. They keep their rats on dirty wood shavings, and seperate them all into seperate containers; it doesn't matter how many times I tell them or what literature I give them, they still do it. So, I can only imagine what they get wrong with the rabbits. The darker of the two bunnies they said is definitely female; the lighter one they weren't sure. I think it was female.

I have found someone to take them. A rescue in northamptonshire; so I'm going to pick them up and run them down there ... hopefully the shop won't have given them to someone unsuitable in the meantime. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for your reply, and your help. It's very much appreciated :)

Nim

I'm also too far away to be much help (although if you could transport them to Surrey I'd be able to help) but definitely try your local rescues on the list that Rykat has given you.

I've been involved in a couple of rescues/confiscations where people have collected "free to good home" rabbits then bred them for snake food and for training greyhounds :mecry: so anything you can do to help these rabbits would be fantastic :flowers:

Both the rabbits are old/big enough to be correctly sexed - there's a video here which might help the shop -