UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Handbags

snow

OK it's that time again, I need to replace my everyday handbag if you know me well you know that this is a major exercise which fills hubby and family with utter dread because I am such a fusspot now I know I can't be the only woman who has a thing for handbags but here's where the problem begins ... I have a thing for handbags laugh.gif I am extremely and I do mean extremely fussy about my handbags generally (and I am even worse about my purse lol) but my day to day bag even more so. I loveeeeeeeeeee handbags and last summer was somehow persuaded to thin out my handbag stash laugh.gif I ended up getting rid of about 25 bags all of which I absolutely loved most of which I had used perhaps once rolleyes.gif laugh.gif I do collect Bulaggi Bags - those I won't part with and those do get used until they fall apart so I'm not "precious" about them they do get used.

However, day to day I do tend to stick to one bag and mine is now 18 months old, covered in scratches from dogs claws (vicars dog not Nog), full of fag ash from a leaky portable ashtray blush02.gif starting to look shabby and the leather is wearing thin so it's time is drawing to a close - I searched for almost a year for this bag so replacing it is going to be a trial.

Now you wouldn't think that replacing a handbag would be all that difficult especially as I do have a style preference which is well known to my family and friends, but it gets harder and harder every year - well it does because I am a tightarse too so I won't pay big money for an "everyday" bag especially one which gets scrabbled at by dogs, shoved under seats at rugby matches and generally treated poorly.

The bag must be a minimum of 12" wide but no more than 14.5" and no less than 9" in height it, it must not be square as I hate square bags, also it must have a strap which is over 40" as I like my bags hip length and cannot abide under your armpit or carried by a handle bags, it should be leather or suede or leather and suede or canvas or faux leather/suede but then not cost real leather prices, it must fasten so that things dont fall out when I invariably drop it or kick it or fumble it but at the same time I must be able to leave it unfastened the vast majority of the time so that I can drop it and spend ages hunting for the stuff that fell out cos I really enjoy that (not laugh.gif). It can have just one main compartment but ideally should have a few - some which are zip fastened to stop the more embarrassing stuff falling out (think tampons & pills etc) but it shouldn't have too many and don't ask me how many is too many cos I couldn't tell you without looking at them and seeing how they are laid out laugh.gif

It can be black, brown, navy, purple, red, multi colored but not white, lilac, pink or orange - well unless they are nice shades of lilac, pink or orange and then I'd have to see how I felt about the colour laugh.gif if it has tassels or fringes you are already on a winner with me unless the fringes are too long and then I'll glare at you and say "no" in a withering tone whilst rolling my eyes lol It can't be "girly" but instead could be "funky" - and yes all you men out there - there IS a big difference between girly and funky.

If it looks like it could have been worn in a Vietnam jungle - I'll absolutely love it so long as it's not camouflage pattern cos thats just cabbagey and my hubby wouldn't walk with me if I was wearing it laugh.gif

It must be waterproof - ish.

It must be able to take 40 fags, 3 lighters 1 of which actually works, 1 ash tray, a pharmacy worth of pills and potions, hairbrush, credit cards, nail file, poo bags, dog treats, spare slip lead, half a rainforrest of various tissues & receipts for stuff I bought years ago, assorted keys most of which I don't know what they open, pens which have run out, pens that have lost their tops, pencils with no lead, a pen which works occasionally, and a pen which was working until I put it in my handbag, half empty bottle of perfume, camera & case. For rugby matches it must additionally take rugby tickets, rugby program, full pouch of capri sun, half a dozen assorted sized screw on bottle caps, gloves, beanie hat & pocket hand warmers, I also need to be able to tie a woollen scarf around the strap when it's not being worn. Now if the bag is bigger than the dimensions listed then that means it's big enough for hubby to say things like "could you just put my keys, wallet, camera etc etc ... in your bag" ... this is usually the straw which breaks the camels back as I am then carrying almost my body weight in my bag and he is carrying nothing - and I am NOT repeat NOT doing that any more.

So the bag has to be practical but not look like a suitcase and be cheap - now thats not too much to ask is it? laugh.gif

So please please tell me I am NOT the only woman in the world who is this fussy about her handbag.

Chuffin hell laugh.gif

I'm furiously trying to imagine what sort of bag could look like it could be worn in a Vietnam jungle and have tassels laugh.gif the mind boggles.

I have a large fishing bag as my handbag, had it for over 20 years, it has a removable rubber lining, two secure outside pockets and thats it, but it's a bleedin' marvel.

So please please tell me I am NOT the only woman in the world who is this fussy about her handbag.

Erm, I don't think I can laugh.gif

Perhaps a few photographs of previous handbags that fulfilled all the criteria might give someone inspiration? huh.gif

:unsure: i don't have a handbag... i stuff everthing in my pockets :unsure: do you know the make of the bag you have now? that way you could replace like for like if you desired or you could see if they had a different model that caught your eye :biggrin: my mum is quite fussy about her handbags too :rolleyes:

my soul mate :laugh: I love bags, mine have their own cupboard, are cleaned when I have used them and stuffed with tissue paper when not in use. Mind you I hardly ever use them in every day life, thats what pockets are for but boy I can pull some good ones out when I need one, mine range from a paisley pug one that can stand up, sit down or lie down to very posh beaded evening ones and every thing inbetween!!

I dont do handbags but when I needed a new day bag I faffed around for ages trying to find one as I didnt want leather, it had to be able to go over my shoulder, has an inside zipped compartment and I could fit a water bottle in it. I thought my criteria was bad but your criteria is mind boggling lol. I got mine from New Lock and it wasnt to badly priced.

I feel your pain! I am due a new handbag AND trouser suit for when I start my new job in 3 weeks time and am nearly as fussy as you!! My last handbag was a Radley one and that has had some serious hammer, and I too like it to have a zip close so nothing gets nicked, but invariably don't close the zip, so that when it is on the passenger seat of my car and I brake suddenly, it goes flying into my footwell and spills the contents of it everywhere!!! Do you have any designer outlets near you? My handbags nearly always come from the Radley shop at Cheshire Oaks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

:laugh: OMG I found my soul mate!

I have literally hundreds of handbags and am about to thin them out when I move. I have a bit of a thing for River Island bags at the moment - have you checked their site because they have quite a few really nice ones which you might like? I also adore Radley bags and spend a lot of time in John Lewis looking at the bags there (and wishing I had a bigger bank balance!). I got an amazing Olsen bag from TKMaxx a few months back - its like the tardis but doubt the strap would be long enough for you - I like them shortish handles so I can tuck them under my arm :laugh:

:biggrin: another handbag person here.. looking round where I am sat now, I have me border collie handbag, me black leather patent one and a ruck sack leather one lol.. I do like handbags and have some new ones for Christmas I bought a couple of years ago.. I have loads of different colours but generally during the day its a black one if I am out and about working or its the collie one.. if its dog shows then rucky sack ones ..

My fav one is my marshmallow designer bag, but its getting tatty now, but i still love it and cant bear to throw it away.. i dont like stuffing things in pockets, im big enough without more bulges :laugh: :laugh: