UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Using 2 Vets

billydog

Wondered if anybody had any thoughts.

My vet is pretty expensive, but really good, close by and have been fab treating Bill's injuries and illnesses!

However feel that the over £20 more they wanted for doing his booster versus friends vets was a bit much so will be taking Bill to new vets for booster.

I'd be much happier taking him to existing vets in emergency - it's closer, has better facilities and do 'no expense spared' treatment as opposed to friends vets which is more budget orientated.

Is it ok to use 2 vets like this?

Does anybody else do this?

Any problems?

Thanks flowers.gif

My mum uses two vets for her dogs - one for vaccinations and neutering, the other for everything else.  The main vet, which I also use, refuses to switch over to the three yearly vaccination, or to order it in.  They also won't neuter a male dog until it is 12 months, and a bitch until after her first season.  So mum uses another vet nearby who use the vaccine that lasts 3 years for her boys.  She will also take Buzz there for neutering, as they will do it at 6 months, which is when she wants him done.

For emergencies, and other vet treatment the dogs need, the other vet has a more modern surgery and equipment, is closer, has better opening hours, etc.  They know that the dogs are vaccinated elsewhere and don't mind.

Can't really answer about using two vets as I've never done it, but I can't see why not if that's what you choose to do - you are the customer and pay the money! My main worry would be that neither vet would have a full medical history.

With regard the difference in booster prices, it might be worth checking that you are getting the same for your money - a lot of vets now use Intervet vaccines which are licensed as being effective for 3 years against Parvo, Hep and Distemper so only Lepto vaccine needs to be given every year. Other (cheaper) vaccines are still only licensed for a year so have to be repeated annually for everything.

We use two different vets for the smallies although I tend to stick to one vet per animal so that they don't have incomplete histories. Shouldn't matter for something simple like a vax though as long as you take your vax record with you when you go to other vets so they can see exactly what they're given and when.

Slightly OT but the vaccinations that are ok for three years - are they a bigger dose or similar or are they the same as they always were but now recognised as being effective for longer?

They are (I think) the same vaccines, but Intervet have been ahead of the game in doing research that proves they are effective for longer and getting them licensed for a longer period - which means that your dog is legally 'fully vaccinated' for kennels or insurance purposes for the full three years.

I had quite a chat with my vet about it last time I went in for boosters, and some of the other vaccine manufacturers are also trying to extend their product licenses, but it's a long process to prove that the vaccine gives reliable protection over a longer period.

we used to use two vets for the rescue dogs as our own fab vet had moved miles away and was doing locum work so moving around and difficult to get to regularly, so we used a local vet for routine vet checks/vaccs/spays and anything that was more serious was taken to fab vet.

we now have another fab vet close by so everything now goes to him

Thanks folks flowers.gif

Seems like the 2 vet thing is the way to go!

Billy does have an exisiting eye problem which flares up from time to time and existing vets have his history and know him so I'd take him back there for anyeye probs or anything else, but vax, wormers etc from new vets seems like a plan.

With vax, new vets asked specifically about which Billy needed, and this is quote for full vax as this is what Billy is due. Existing vets charge the same irrespective of which vax given glare.gif

I know some vets frown upon this but tough.. When I was with a vet in Warrington, and they treated Rosie, I always took her elsewhere for second opinion to a vets I totally trust to make sure.. but after they sent her ashes 300 miles away instead of to our local crem, we started to move away more.. then when Flissy had her girly parts done and they fluffed it up, we made a complaint to the vet people and took Flissy elsewhere to see to the end of her treatment..

The vet I am with now we have been with for 15 years, we just used the local vets in Warrington for emergencies and jabs etc.. but when one of my cats had kittens many years ago, it had a ripped tummy and we rushed it to the vet that we first had when we had Caffery.. as they are a fantastic practice..

Funny tho when we moved completely to the first vet we had the vet in Warrington rather inadequatley lost our xrays ... and some dont think its ethical as they cant build up a picture of the pets history... more like they want your money lol...

Would I use 2 vets now, no I 100 % trust this vet, but if I had another vet like the ones in Warrington then oh boy I would.. even if it costs me more to have second opinions.. When we took Caffery their in Summer we said hes having nosebleeds.. out of the blue he said oh its nasal cancer, collies very prone to it.. and that was that.. but when we had him for a second opinion, he had xrays to see how far advanced it was and was on tablets and sadly we made the decision to let him go to Rainbow Bridge with discussions with the other vets and it made it a lot easier to make a decision.

Slightly different but on the same lines - when I bought the house we now live in I wanted lots of work done to it, so spent many weekends here (west Wales) while still living and working in Coventry. At the time Lucy had just been diagnosed with her illness, plus Toastie boy was ok but old, so I registered with vets here at the same time as being with the ones there. Both practises thought it was a good idea, and the vets here had a copy of Lucy and Toastie's history ready in case there was an emergency.... Luckily there wasn't one, but the records of treatment and meds were available at both places.

Just a little update

Took Billy to the new vets today and they had his full history already smile.gif

Was very impressed with both vets for that.

New vet was lovely, definately no frills, but obviously a good vet and she was great with Bill.

Billy was quite funny - he's pretty good at the vets and was quite enjoying his outing, getting fussed etc. He was very interested when vet opened the fridge and had a good sniff of the syringe and needle whilst in their packets. All was fine until vet mixed the 2 vials, when it dawned on him what was happening - you could see him thinking 'oh bu**er laugh.gif Bless him! Made us both laugh

Hoping this could work really well.

Further update

My original vets rang me this afternoon. It was the practice manager asking if I had left them, and if so was there a problem. She was lovely and stressed that obviously it was fine if I had left (I know it is but she really was at pains to say so!)

So told her I would like them to keep the boys on their books but I had taken Billy elsewhere as it was much cheaper to get them vaxed elsewhere.

Seemed fine so very happy with my descision smile.gif