UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Introducing Adult Cats To Each Other

JulesB

Please could some of the experienced cat fosterers/owners give me some advice?

On Friday my mum comes to stay, with her 19-year old cat Cleo. Mum is staying for 10 days, Cleo is staying for a month.

I have a 5-year old indoor cat, Treacle, and two cat-friendly (with Treacle anyway) dogs. During the day, the dogs and Treacle have the run of the house, upstairs and down, and Treacle sleeps in the spare room at night (he also goes in there if I am going out - I don't leave him alone with the dogs). Treacle's bed, litter try and feed bowls are in there and he sees it as 'his' room.

However, Mum will be staying in the spare room while she is here. The room is on the ground floor and a glass door shuts off the hall, stairs and spare room, so I can divide the house into two if necessary, but the animals could see each other.

Sooooo, I'm thinking of moving Treacle's stuff into the hall, and keeping Cleo in the spare room for a couple of days so she is surrounded by her own smell and mum's, and can smell Treacle too. After that I thought I'd leave the door open so she can come out if she wants, but make sure the dogs are on leads and properly introduced, as we did when we got Treacle, so they can get used to having another cat around.

So, wise fugee cat people, does anyone have any advice on whether that's the best way to do it? Is it worth trying to integrate everyone for the sake of a month, or should I go down the very simple route and keep Cleo separated from my cat and dogs? She's quite confident and gets on with other cats, but Treacle, my cat, is a bit nervy and highly strung and given to rushing about the house hysterically if anything changes.

I have a big dog crate that I can use if necessary, maybe swapping the cats around so they get used to each other's smell, if that would be a good idea.

Sorry this is a bit long, I wanted to give as much info as possible in the hope that someone can give me a bit of advice.

Thanks if you can help :flowers:

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hell that is cat-on-cat introductions for the sake of a month, particularly as Cleo is 19, so presumably will not be too bothered about being kept in a smaller area.

Introducing the dogs will probably be easy, I've never had a problem with that, but cat etiquette is so insanely complex and cats are so touchy!

It might be different for you because you are introducing two only ones and because of Cleo's age - mine are all in pairs and middleaged or younger - but when we bring in new ones, we usually keep them separate for a week or so to start with. Moving to a new place is stressful enough for a cat without having to deal with the resident cats at the same time.

Thanks Victoria.

I found Treacle under the bed this morning, his back end was paralysed. I managed to find a 24-hour vet faily near - couldn't get through to my own vets because of the snow. The emergency vet diagnosed an aortic thromboembolis and advised pts, which we did. My heart is absolutely breaking :mecry: I just want my boy back :mecry: :mecry: