UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January Rmf

owl

Yay, my airline system is certified! Minor last minute wrangle because one of my 'passengers' on my non-existent 'flights' had a passport expiring in the year 3000, apparently this worried HM Gov for some reason.

"But it's in the future! You said it had to be in the future!" I said.

"It's TOO FAR in the future and can't exist" they said...

Am now wondering what they know about the year 3000 that I don't...unsure.gif

They weren't worried that this passenger was Yama O'Bungle, and is in fact a Bengal cat who has no plans to fly to the Continent... His passport number is an arrant fakery too laugh.gif

Right, I've had enough! Bloody hate bloody snow and bloody cold and bloody ice etc. Anyone want to join me in having mass "go away snow" thoughts?

Anyone else wonder why the telly news is "it's very cold and there's a lot of snow". Do they think we haven't noticed?

I'll join you. I hate it. I'm beginning to understand why so many southerners like it though - it's because it rarely happens to them. Yes, it looks pretty, but it's miserable when it lasts more than a day or two.

YES !!!!!

I'm sick to the back teeth of bloody snow, most of our walks are either cut off or to treacherous to use, my hens hate it, Daisy hates it, I haven't seen any grass since Christmas, and the news !....well, you'd think it only matters if snow falls in England, we've had this snow for ages and not a dickie on the news, one bloody flake falls in England and it's a bloody disaster with special reports mad.gif bloody media

You have my complete sympathy. My relatives up in the Highlands and Fife have endured it for weeks. We have a house in Galloway - we're moving back, shortly - and once again I am sick with worry about frozen pipes. I'm going to try to get up there at the weekend and meantime a friend is checking it for me, but there's a problem with the stop c***, the plumber lives 17 miles away and can't get through because the roads from his village are impassable, so I can't get the water off. The heating is on 24 hours a day to try to prevent a burst, it's costing a fortune, and I can't do anything about it. I used to keep hens and ducks too, but to be honest, this winter has reminded me how difficult it was. Breaking the ice on the duck ponds, trying to keep the hens warm and dry ... :mecry:

he could hear the sound of running water :unsure: so he looked through front room window to see a waterfall pouring through a huge hole where the ceiling light should be :ohmy: obviously pipes have burst and the neighbours out too.

The police are trying to get a contact number for the householder and have sent officers round to break down the door if nesessary and turn off the electric and water supply.

someones going to have avery nasty shock when they get home :(

And that's exactly what I mean - most people do not realise how dangerous this weather is. At least your OH may have prevented further damage by his actions. :flowers:

travelodge are having their £9 room sale

I'm never staying with them again ever since they started charging for dogs to stay, and I emailed them a while back to tell them - even if I manage to get one of their cheap deals, by the time I've paid for Bonnie, I might as well stay in a nice clean B&B, and have breakfast provided.

Very Grumpy Old Liz. :mad: :laugh:

Yay, my airline system is certified! Minor last minute wrangle because one of my 'passengers' on my non-existent 'flights' had a passport expiring in the year 3000, apparently this worried HM Gov for some reason.

They weren't worried that this passenger was Yama O'Bungle, and is in fact a Bengal cat who has no plans to fly to the Continent... His passport number is an arrant fakery too laugh.gif

:laugh: That is so funny but the year 3000 thing is just a little bit worrying. :unsure:

Hubby made it to work this morning, hes just called me though asking me to call the police as hes just tried to deliver a parcel at a house but theres no one home and as he put the "we tried to deliver" card through the door he could hear the sound of running water :unsure: so he looked through front room window to see a waterfall pouring through a huge hole where the ceiling light should be :ohmy: obviously pipes have burst and the neighbours out too.

The police are trying to get a contact number for the householder and have sent officers round to break down the door if nesessary and turn off the electric and water supply.

someones going to have avery nasty shock when they get home :(

That happened to our neighbours in our last house.

The house was up for sale and had been empty for weeks before the cold weather came. They had accepted an offer on the house but the contract wasn't signed. A neighbour noticed the windows had condensation on them, so looked through the letter box to see water running down the stairs.

The whole house had to be gutted back to the walls. It took three weeks to dry it out with dehumidifiers running 24 hours and then the whole inside had to be totally rebuilt.

Somehow they got it all paid for by the insurance company and ended up with virtually a new house.

The original buyers had pulled out when it happened and they ended selling it for £50,000 more than the original offer.

Another one here for the 'OK, enough snow now' corner. We've had feet of the stuff, day after day and it's Just Not Funny Anymore.

Left work today at 1.15am, for a 25 minute drive home. Finally slithered onto my driveway, with much assistance from my fab neighbours, at 3.30pm :rolleyes: We have now cleared two wide driving tracks through the new snow, old snow, and compacted ice right along the cul de sac and round the corner though. I am having a nice cup of tea and a sit down, I'm shattered.

Rumpole, what a lovely thing for your OH to do, I'm sure the house owners will be grateful :flowers:

Thank you everyone for kind comments about my pic. Maybe it is good enough to send to BBC Wales website for their gallery of photos around Wales? Must say this mobile phone has a great camera, it's 3.2 megapixels and it's not even an expensive phone, got it on special offer from Phones4U.

We have been for a long walk up and down the mountain and round all the surrounding common there. Then I heard the road is good all the way down to the village today, so went and got more provisions in. I have a good fortnight's worth of everything now. All main roads are clear round here, but many side roads are still impassable by ordinary cars. There were tractors parked in the car park at the village supermarket, only way for some people to get there.

Forecast is for more snow for us on Sunday, possibly rather a lot of it.

it wasn't someone from Busted then ???? :laugh:

Celeste :GroupHug: it's only cause we are soft southerners - and it's easy news stories otherwise.

as in...look an empty street, must be because of the snow...wonder what the impact will be on the shops...blah blah blah.

xxx

laugh.gif

stop-eating-cheese-late-at-night !!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Hoooo, your good, I did have cheese last night ! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

You have a real talent for turning the mundane into the bizarre laugh.gif

My lovely victorian house wot breathes and creaks and has a front door which has to be bolted top and bottom or daylight comes through is becoming less appealing as every day goes by :angry: Where's the clingfilm?

I feel your pain, it's taken us ten years to get our house reasonably wind tight, new windows last year helped a lot, but there are still bits of the house that have drafts that seem to come from nowhere.

Ben's been to the vet for stiff hips "boooo" he was very nimble when he first came here but since Christmas he seems to be a bit stiff getting up, he may well have done some damage leaping about with Spud or slipped in the snow and ice, so it's Metacalm and reduced excersise for a week, which means the Staff's have to have it too, Ben gets really distressed if he can't be with them rolleyes.gif

Bought a Breville panini toaster thing in the Sainsbury sale, was £49.99 now £24.99, it's very good, made a pesto, goats cheese and roasted red pepper one, yummy yummy in ma tummy biggrin.gif

Owl do submit the photo of Wispa to BBC Wales as it's lovely flowers.gif

My friend has given me a tip for staying upright on the compacted ice and snow - put an old pair of socks over your shoes, boots or wellies, preferably an old woolly pair of walking socks. She submitted this tip to Radio Cumbria and as a result folk have been getting in touch with the station to say "hey, the socks thing works"!

Despite this tip this is the second day I have not ventured out having got such a fright trying to stay upright on Tuesday. The boys have been very good and haven't pestered me to go out tho Archie has had lots of play time in the garden. George has chosen to spend the time having extra sleeps rolleyes.gif