UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gorgeous Boy Needs A New Home

Laura_E

Some friends of mine have had to make the very sad decision to re-home their gorgeous Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Rhino.

Image123.jpg

Unfortunately they have had to move out of their house and into rented accommodation and cannot take Rhino with them. mecry.gif

I had the pleasure of looking after Rhino for 2 weeks in the summer and can honestly say that he is one of the most loyal, affectionate and loving dogs that I have met. He has a fantastic temperament and is great with people of all ages (he currently lives with 2 children under the age of three). He is also great with other dogs, male and female, young and old. He gave my cats a wide berth and has never shown any chase instincts when out and about, apart from if you have a ball to throw and then he is your best friend!

He is very obedient and knows a number of commands, including sit, stay, lie down, paw etc. He is clean in the house and sleeps downstairs in the kitchen at night without any fuss. At present Rhino doesn't get walked much (if at all) and spends a lot of time on his own and has done since he was a puppy. sad01_anim.gif As he is used to being left on his own he would suit somebody working full-time that could give him a break during the day (although he does not get that at present and is always clean in the house).

Rhino travels well in the car and makes no fuss at all. He is very eager to please and has a very high tolerance level with other dogs. Whilst staying here he had to endure regular harrassment from Tess, and although he clearly found her constant grooming sessions rather tiring, he always allowed her to have her way with him and never grumbled laughingsmiley.gif (as the picture below shows!)

Image076.jpg

He loves the company of other dogs (all shapes and sizes) and is very well mannered. If he meets a dog that does not like him he will ignore them and come back to you for reassurance, bless him! He is quite submissive with other dogs, but I think that is just part of his laid back nature.

At night time Rhino loves to cuddle up to you on the sofa, but will never get up unless you allow him to. He loves to be made a fuss of, but not in a demanding way. He very rarely barks (he never barked at all whilst staying here) and he is great with strangers and visitors to the house, human and canine. If you are looking for a guard dog, Rhino is not the boy for you!

I know that there are thousands of SBT's looking for homes at the moment, so the chances of finding Rhino a home quickly are very slim, but please consider him as he is a very special dog and will make somebody very happy.

Rhino is neutered, up-to-date with his vaccinations and in good health. He is Kennel Club registered.

Rhino is currently in the Staines area, but if you live further afield transport can be arranged.

If you would like more details please PM me.

Thanks flowers.gif

Why cannot they take him into the rented accommodation? Is it a matter of space or facilities?

If it is just lalndlords requirements , they should check as there are now new guidelines for landlords housing pets, groups willing to work with them and specilaised cleaning firns able to do special EOPL " end of pet lets" ,makeovers/cleaning . ( cheaply) and groupsthat will supply info and assistance if allegies are involved.

Banning pets just on the basis of some misinformed whim is no longer the general rule.

Hi,

How old is Rhino, he sounds like a dream staffy!

Thanks, he is a lovely boy. flowers.gif

I don't know his exact birth date, but he is between 4 and 5 years old. I have asked his owner to look at his KC papers so that I can update this with his precise age.

This situation is getting desperate now and Rhino's owners are also looking at finding him a space in rescue, but they are reluctant to see him go into kennels and would ideally like to find a foster space. I know it's a tall order, but if anyone can help please get in touch.

Thanks flowers.gif

Awww its such a shame , his temperment sounds fantastic whatever the breed.

If i was closer and circumstances were diff i would love to help out , but im looking for a bigger place to rent and having one dog at the moment aint making things easy .

But good luck, and somone should snap him up, as staffies make a great family pet, they dont get called the nanny dog for nothing :D and he seems the full package :)

Thanks Laura for bringing him up and thank you Glenn for driving all that way. I did send you a photo of him fast asleep....hope you got it ok?

Charlie has been licking him and even gave him a kiss so he's definitely accepted him!

I promise I will keep you updated on his progress and will send you photos and any news if there is any, just so you can have your mind put to rest.

Thank you again for bringing him he really is a gorgeous boy!!!

Laura x

Thanks Laura for bringing him up and thank you Glenn for driving all that way. I did send you a photo of him fast asleep....hope you got it ok?

Charlie has been licking him and even gave him a kiss so he's definitely accepted him!

I promise I will keep you updated on his progress and will send you photos and any news if there is any, just so you can have your mind put to rest.

Thank you again for bringing him he really is a gorgeous boy!!!

Laura x

Fantastic news, I'm so pleased Rhino has a new home biggrin.gif

I hope we are going to see lots of pictures and updates flowers.gif

There are some pictures of Rhino with his new friend Charlie in this thread http://www.therefuge.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=49353&st=0

Tess has been sulking all morning that she hasn't got a toyboy to harrass any more, but I think Rhino deserves the rest, he was a saint and it's just further testament to what a fantastic boy he is.

When he arrived at Laura's yesterday he went upstairs to explore, saw the cat at the top of the stairs, got hissed at and came running back down to hide laugh.gif He is such a gentle soul and really hasn't got a bad bone in his body wub.gif