UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Elderly Dog Found

GoldenOldie

Just a quick update. Taffy, as he is called, was reunited with his family this morning. He had slipped out while Sian's boyfriend was looking after him on Saturday and had walked at least 1-2 miles from Didsbury to Chorlton cum Hardy, across the busy Princes Parkway as well! No wonder he was thirsty and hobbling a bit. He apparently is Sian's childhood pet and she left him with her parents in Kent when she went to uni; she now lives up here in Manchester. Her parents have just moved house, still in Kent, and in the process have asked Sian to look after Taffy for a while, hence the inactive Kent tel. no. and old details on the microchip.

I think Taffy will have a new disc by tonight and I also suggested the parents need to update all their details asap as well!

He is a dear old boy although my old lab girl was very pleased to see him go. Apparently he was attacked by another dog some time ago and is now anxious around dogs so is quite defensive.

Once again, thank you everyone and thankfully a happy ending.

Just wanted to let you all know that Taffy has settled back in at home - I can't tell you how happy I am he was safe and being so well looked after.

I was alerted by a text message from a number I don't know on Sunday evening that there was a post on www.therefuge.org.uk which sounded like it could be him. I can only assume that somebody had seen a poster in the local area and knew about your site or perhaps had seen him on the www.nationalpetregister.co.uk and made the connection. I have sent them a message to say we have been reunited and I may not have found him without them!

Needless to say the first thing I have done is updated the tel number on his tag and will get the microchip database updated asap!

So good to know there are such kind, generous and caring people out there!

Thanks again to Sally and everyone else

Sian x

p.s. yes he is a total grump when it comes to other (especially bigger dogs).... my boyfriend has an adorable black lab called Poppy who is the most loving and soppy thing you have ever seen but Taffy has yet to be seduced by her charms!

Any advice as to how to stop him lashing out at other dogs / help get over fear aggression would be much appreciated!

Sian,

I only had him for less than 48 hrs. but I found he did respond to a sharp 'leave 'as soon as I spotted a danger zone approaching. My dogs are all very laid back but he was most anxious around the 2 labs. who are both gentle and loving ,and OK with the little deaf collie x and actually wanted to make friends with her.

The most difficult times were around food, which included the kitchen even if I wasn't preparing their food or cooking and I had a delivery of tinned dog food waiting in the kitchen to pack away and he defended that!

The rest of the time when he was with them in the garden or the living room he was quite calm but I did keep a weather eye open; he preferred to take himself off to a chair or the dog bed in the conservatory on his own.

He is an old boy and maybe you just need to wait it out until he goes back to your mum and dad - presumably he's an only dog in their house?

Good luck anyway.

Sally.