UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November Rmf

owl

Very glad the knives have turned up "safely" :)

Sending lots of good thoughts for all those animals troubled by fireworks.

I suspect there will be a few more going off over the next few days at least, but dare I say, I think this has been the "best" fireworks night since we adopted Sno (I didn't have to worry about it before that). We had a local display in a field down the road but made sure we were tucked up inside a noisy house by then and we've had a few before and after but it seems better than previous years, much better. Sno has had a freak out or two and I've had to physically stop him from doing silly things but he is doing very well indeed :wub:

For anybody with fat legs like me who can't get boots to go over their calves, Sainsbury's have some sheepskin boots for £28 which lace up the back and can even go over my calves. They do them in black or grey :flowers:

Ooh I may go and have a look. Ive just got myself a pair of cowboy boots from Marisota as I have fat calves and cant usually get boots to fit me.

Lots of fireworks going off tonight. Louie doesnt care and is quite happy to go out for a wee while they are boomnig overhead.

:GroupHug: for Daisy. Lynne I love your new signature. Who did that for you? Its the second one Ive seen.

:GroupHug: for all in need and for all having firework stress. We are stirred but not shaken here. Polly can't hear a thing so no worries there. Wispa was at first upset by some whistling rockets, did some barking and skulked under the bed. Then she saw one through the kitchen window as it dived into the back garden, and went straight on point. She has now decided they are game birds (like the air ambulance and Hercules transport planes) :wacko:

Sno is doing remarkably well, isn't he, Ange? He seems to be getting more relaxed about a lot of things these days.

Poor Como, hope his mum has got the circulation back in her legs! He must make a hefty lap dog.

Freecycle is yet again my friend - I have collected a very nice drop leaf gateleg table. It's still in the car as they are hard to move single-handed, they flap about all over the place. Also collected our trusty dehumidifier Doris, who has been away drying out a friend's house. Very glad to have her back, tis getting decidedly damp here.

Mr Song Li, a banker from Hong Kong, has just emailed me. He wants to give me 3 million pounds which is in his bank and doesn't belong to anyone. I think Wispa will catch a Hercules before that happens :laugh:

Edited by owl

For the first time since we moved here 10 years ago no one has had fireworks in their gardens before or after the main display here much to our utter amazement - usually just before and straight after the big public display people start letting off their own fireworks in their gardens - something we've never really understood as they can't possibly compare to the magnificent ones that go up during the display - yet every year it happens - until this year! Fingers crossed they aren't all waiting for the weekend.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the internet - I have just finished the bulk of my Christmas shopping and only have 6 things left to get which I can't/won't get online and 3 of them are all from the same shop biggrin.gif mind you I haven't yet got anything for secret santa (cos I don't know yet who I'm getting for) nor have I got all Robs stocking fillers but I've even made a start on those online biggrin.gif I should definately be finished before December though yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee biggrin.gif

We have only had one bang here that I have heard. I assume someone was doing a display that's mostly fountain and whizzy things rather than bangs. I wonder why they don't do bangless firework selections? Or maybe they do?

I do hope the horse Ange mentioned is OK, surely the owner would want to move her if they know there is going to be a big display right next to her?

You can get silent fireworks, I wish more people would buy them!

I hope the horse is ok too. I have no idea who she belongs to; when I found the dead horse in the field not so long ago I walked around for ages trying to work out who might own them. The field is adjacent to the display one and there's a bridle path in between but it's still very close indeed. I shall try to see how she looks tomorrow. Maybe the owner did move her, I was up there around midday today. Thinking about it there are a load of horses in a field across the road from the display I think, but I suspect they have stables over the other side of that field and at least those horses are in a group. I feel sorry for this one, they must get bored on their own surely :unsure:

Sno is doing remarkably well, isn't he, Ange? He seems to be getting more relaxed about a lot of things these days.

He is doing well isn't he :) I think he still reacts to the same things - and he still freaked out about flies during the summer - but I think it's his recovery times that are improving. He did get freaked out by banging on a walk today and then his stubborn side comes through too and he refused to go anywhere other than home (why would we want to walk towards the noise he sensibly asked :laugh:) but thankfully it was the end of the walk anyway.

Snowy - id like to shop on line for chrimbo this year, please tell me how the heck i go about "looking" for gifts when i have no idea what people want and which are the best (cheapest) sites please :flowers:

RMF

Hardly and fireworks have gone off in my kneck of the woods and neither of the dogs seems bothered by the occassional loud bang :biggrin:

Snowy - id like to shop on line for chrimbo this year, please tell me how the heck i go about "looking" for gifts when i have no idea what people want and which are the best (cheapest) sites please flowers.gif

I love Amazon and Ebay - especially when you can compare them against each other and find the cheapest price for the same items, examples of things wot I bought are: rugby dvd's, rugby clothing & gifts (bought from the team shop so if you have anyone to buy for who is into a team sport footie or rugby etc. look on the teams site and in their shops for ideas then check if ebay have the same thing cheaper wink.gif ) Starbucks card - load it up with cash and they can buy what they want with it, amazon gift vouchers - prices start at £5 and if you get the paper ones you can pop them inside a nice personalised card to jazz it up a bit, personalised gifty's I've ordered a mousemat with a pic of my aunts scotty dog on it for £4.99 inc postage from a seller on ebay - I already had the pic and just added a frame around it on paintshop pro and sent it to the seller for printing. T shirts - Rob's got a couple of Gibson shirts on their way I have a couple of Stargate Atlantis ones I spotted - on ebay funnily enough laugh.gif - so sent the links to my mum & Nick with a note to say if I found them in my stocking I would be delighted wink.gif they are coming from USA so best time to buy overseas is now and beat the Christmas rush and frantic worries about the post. I've also had a mug done with a pic from Nicks fave film - found the pic on google, copied it, sent it off and voilla a very unique can't see another one like it pressie which he'll go ape over biggrin.gif I've also made jewellery gift sets for several of my family members - beads were bought on ebay from a seller in China I spent under a tenner and got thousands of fab beads and tibetan spacers etc more than enough to make about 20 necklaces and earring sets. I've just got 6 Murano glass lampwork pendants this evening - seller was selling tham for 60p each and free postage! They will come from Hong Kong and will take about 2 weeks to arrive but still in plenty of time for Xmas if I want to make any more necklaces. Best thing with Amazon & Ebay is that a lot of stuff is free postage, so theres no additional cost for buying online, for the Vicars kids I've ordered personalised placemats with their names on (from ebay laugh.gif ) each with their favourite kiddie show on, so 1 x sportacus, 1 x littlest pet shop & 1 x monsters inc. - they only cost me £3 each!

I use Kelkoo.co.uk to compare online prices for items that I really want to get the price down on - for example my mum wanted an electronic crossword solver thingy which are about £30 - I used Kelkoo and found the exact one she wanted for £15 biggrin.gif I've also asked for a couple of The Mountain T Shirts - these are utterly fantastic quality shirts, and fabulous designs- anyone who has met me will probably have seen me wearing one, I have snow leopards, tigers, lions & wolves, and will be adding more big cats and even a dragon to my collection if people get me the ones I have asked for biggrin.gif best prices are usually from USA but I have found a uk stockist that is only £1 more - although they don't have the full range of shirts - again you need to buy early to allow time for them to be delivered etc.

Lush do a fabulous range of gift sets - online prices can be reallllly good - look for their clearance stuff, theres an ebay seller doing a fantastic offer on Yankee candle gift sets for £12 theres loads of stuff in the bundle and you can even break it up and make them into smaller gifts for several people. Thorntons do good offers on their choccies 3 boxes for the price of 2 at the moment but those I'll be getting in store rather than on line to save postage.

And then theres this place .... http://www.grasmeregingerbread.co.uk/ yummy yummy YUMMY gingerbread and very nicely presented everyone who's had these off me has been really delighted.

What about E-Chocs? Chocolate Now! have a great concept you choose the size of the box and pay for it then they email a link to the person who can log in and pick their own choccies to fill the box - this is on MY xmas list for someone to get me biggrin.gif http://www.chocolate-now.co.uk/cgi-bin/shop-cart/ShopCart.pl?mainframe=view_main&user_id=5198ee8541378566443836&oref=forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1862089&cat=e-chocs

Hows that for ideas? flowers.gif

La la la, puts fingers in ears, refuse to think about the C word. It will be a non event here anyway, just me and the assorted animals, as I have to work apart from the bank hols so probably won't get a chance to get down and see my family.

Dex woke me up at silly o'clock needing to go out. At the time, I didn't think it was worth going back to bed so I've been up for ages. I now wish I had gone back to bed :sleep: :wacko:

Morning :tired:

Shaken after Daisy's vet check-up,her teeth and ears are fine but he spent ages listening to her chest,asked if she has a problem with coughs (she doesn't) and then said her heart is very very irregular,listened nyself and it sure is - very fast,then regular,then long long pause with no beat then irregular again :( She's having an ECG on Tuesday,hopefully will know what's wrong then

More positive thoughts being sent :flowers:

RMF : I have to be in Coventry by 09:15, which means to be on the safe side, I need to leave here just after 7.

Good thoughts being sent for Daisy and her worried mum :GroupHug:

Fireworks weren't TOO bad here last night. The fact that we now have all the house double glazed helped a lot. I sat up until 10.30pm (how late is that :laugh: ) until I was sure they had all finished and got George and Archie out for wee. Just hoping now that there are no more over the weekend.

I'm just about to have a norty bacon and egg butty for me breakfast :biggrin:

:wavey: Morning

I hope everyone managed to get through yesterday's fireworks without too much stress.  We ended up with two people and three dogs on the small sofa - Sophie and Sky all worried, and Logan just not wanting to be left out  :rolleyes:  Thankfully not too bad, but I think Saturday is going to be worse :(

:GroupHug: Daisy.  I always get the same question about coughing with Sky when he goes in for a checkup, as he has a seriously bad heart murmur - I hope the ECG shows something easy to fix/manage :flowers:

I had to go into the office yesterday, which involves driving the M4 - out of London in evening rush hour  :wacko:  It took me a very long time to get to my exit, and then there was an accident or something on the A329(M) which means I sat on the slip lane for 20 minutes before managing to go the other direction along.  I then had to come back through  Wokingham which has a horrid one way system, and managed to run into the back of someone in heavy traffic :(  Both cars appeared undamaged (was only going about 5mph), but had to exchange details and he's going to get his car checked out to make sure there is no damage that can't be seen :(  I feel so bad about it - not sure what the hell I was doing, how do you manage to drive into the back of someone when you're crawling along ?!?