UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Bnp On Question Time

BillyMalc

Here's controversy for ya: should the BNP be allowed on Question Time? Lots and lots has been written about it, ministers and everybody else are up in arms about it, demos have been planned etc etc etc. I consider myself to be very much an anti-racist and I think that they should be allowed on Question Time. Why? Because if we all value living in a democracy, then "undesirable" voices should be allowed to vent as well, because if we are going to censor what is and isn't allowed then we get ourselves on a very dangerous, very slippery slope. Discrimination based on race, gender etc has already been banned by law, so there'd be little chance of any outright racist muck being uttered anyway. Griffin will have to choose his words carefully.

But more than that, I think that the BNP should be allowed to show themselves up to be what they really are, for all to see. People who have voted for them as a 'protest vote' should see what they really have voted for, i.e. a bunch of scum bags. People who haven't voted might hopefully realise that, by withholding their vote for a different party, they have given the scum bags an opportunity to get this far. And today's politicians, who are all up in arms, might realise that they better shape up if they have let things got this bad, that people think of the scum bags as a viable alternative.

I think by denying them their chance to "shine" their supporters will only feel even more vindicated, the "them against us" syndrome, and that it will make them even stronger. On the other hand, if they allow Griffin to act like a bonafide politician, he'll also (hopefully) be asked about other issues than race-related ones, that people feel strongly about too. When this happened with a similar Dutch extreme rightwing party, they showed themselves up like nobody's business, because they didn't have a clue about anything that didn't involve scaremongering about "immigrants",

I really really hope that nobody will get their heads kicked in or their homes burnt by the scum bag supporters, who might feel strengthened by the fact that their "leader" has been on national telly. But sadly, having read a recent account of a muslim woman going undercover on a Bristol council estate to report on racism, I think they don't need any encouragement :(

What do you reckon?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with every word you have said Billy, that's totally my view. Every time I've heard one of the BNP lot speaking it has been really embarrasing rubbish. Not just their views but they just come across as thick and rude. So I'm hoping, like you, that tonight they will simply show themselves for what they are and become a laughing stock.

I agree too, though it's repugnant to read some of their supporters' views - they really think that the BNP has attained respectablility... :rolleyes:

Stop them appearing on the programme and they can then play the martyr card; better to have them on a public platform where they can be seen for the single-issue eejits they are.

I agree they should be allowed to appear. Given that we live in a country where thankfully we have free speech, we can't stop someone putting their views across (within reason*) just because we don't like what they are saying.

*I say within reason because obviously preaching hate, encouraging violence or murder is not acceptable and if they use the platform to do any of those things, then they should be held accountable under the relevant laws.

I also think that a lot of people who may previously have not realised what the BNP was all about and may not have realised how extreme their views are will be able to see for themselves what a load of shite they spout.

Isn't there a fear though that they'll come across as, 'not that bad', to those who don't fully appreciate all that they stand for? Especially as they will be doing their hardest to come across as 'reasonable' and a serious political party.

Might it give them credibility to some? I doubt very much that appearing on the TV will make people change their minds about supporting them; their views will be embedded much too deep by other forces for that to happen :(

I would find it very uncomfortable to be on the same table to be honest.

I also think that a lot of people who may previously have not realised what the BNP was all about and may not have realised how extreme their views are will be able to see for themselves what a load of shite they spout.

I agree, but I guess we're taking a risk, assuming that BNP sympathisers will be put off by what they hear; I fear we're in danger of over-estimating their brain power.

I've been dithering about this for ages, because my natural inclination is to protest against them and keep them out of the public eye, but as I said earlier, I don't want them to claim martyrdom. I only hope that the rest of the panel are allowed to put him on the spot and that he shows himself for the scared, pathetic little man he is.

I'm not entirely sure what I think about them being allowed to appear on Question Time - I'm still trying to work out why on earth they were able to become a "legitimate" party and gain MEP seats, given their beliefs.

I'd like to think that they'll look like the :handjob they are and that people will withdraw their support but sadly I think there are a fair number of people out there who know exactly what they are about and support them.

I very much support freedom of speech, but being able to stand in the street and say what you think without fear of being arrested/hurt is one thing, being given such huge publicity on national TV is another.

I'm hoping that the protest voters will tonight see what exactly they have voted for - I'm afraid it won't discourage the hardcore racists, but they won't change their minds anyway, whether Griffin is on the telly or not :wacko:

Let's not forget tho, that, however revolting he and his BNP are, they have been voted in with 2 seats - that is many a 1000 votes. And whatever reason those people had to vote for them, I think that if anything this should serve as a wake-up call for the established parties to sit up and listen, and finally get to do what they're elected and paid for, rather than F-ing about and rolling from one scandal into the next.

Somebody on a comment section said that the Nazis were voted in democratically as well. That's true, so if there is anything that current governments should learn from history is that they shouldn't let things get so bad that it opens the door for them :handjob: :handjob: to get in in the first place!

Should they be allowed to appear ? Yes. If they are to be denied free speech, we are all denied that freedom. Disgusting as their speech is :angry:

Tonight I am hoping that the other panellists will be extremely strong and articulate and highlight just what a waste of space he and his ilk are :dry: