UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Maybe Rescuing Farm Dog, Untrained , Outdoor Dog

lowlanderkev

hi, im going to see about rescuing a 4 year old kelpie / collie farm dog, it wont work the sheep and guy says it worked a day in its life, its always lived out doors , he says its very freindly to everyone, goes in his kitchen now and again, its not had jabs or castrated.

My question is,, how hard would it be to house train a dog like this and also i have a 5 year old lad , i asked guy what its like with kids, he said it would prob knock the kid over trying to get affection from him .

would like anyones opinion on the matter . basicly should i rehome this dog if he seems ok from my visit. ??? thanks

My mother has a dog that she rescued under similar circumstances, though Smudge was younger. She wouldn't work sheep so they kept her tied up in the barn until she was about 18 months. Her housetraining was picked up very quickly, and she's a lovely little dog.

It'll be a fair bit of work, but if you are prepared for that you could end up with a lovely dog. to be honest, I doubt the house training would be the hard part, are you definitely prepared for what could be a very clever, active dog that will need things to do and may not cope well with being left alone in the house? If you are, go for it. If not, maybe consider taking a dog from a rescue where you have more support and backup if things don't work out.

Thanks cycas , yeh i think im prepared for the work, i have had a collie springer cross from a pup many moons ago, and she was a very active dog and would stop all day.

I look after my son 3 days a week and he has started school full time so im gonna have plenty of time on my hands and hoping to take it to obediance classes and once thats completed go onto agility as they do that just 5 mins walk up the road from me.

Its not the work that worrys me,, its more the him being ok with m lad and that he would be trainable.

oh and with it not having his jabs ever, if i was to rehome him is it something should start up,, im guessing yes but thought i would ask :)

Without wanting to sound negative about it there are quite a few potential downsides to adopting privately rather than via a rescue which you might want to take into account when you make your decision.

- You will have to pay for neutering, vaccinations, microchip and any other vet treatment the dog may need, which is likely to all add up to considerably more than the donation most rescues ask for.

- The dog won't have been tried and tested with young children or in a home environment

- There won't be any ongoing support if there are any problems

- If things don't work out for any reason you would be responsible for finding the dog another home

- People who want rid of a dog may not always be 100% honest about the dog or any problems, while a good rescue would give an honest 'warts and all' assessment of the dog

Kelpies are fabulous dogs, but are quite a challenging breed who need a job to do - but it sounds as though you are well prepared for that and have the time and energy to cope. There is a Kelpie forum which has a rescue section, so if this dog doesn't prove to be the one you might find other possibilities there.

Merlin my Greyhound had lived in kennels all his life and was quite easy to house train, just train him like you would a puppy and he will soon pick it up.

Many dogs that have lived outside all their lives take to living inside really well and seem to prefer it, you do get an odd one that has problems adapting but with time and patience that can change. Just let him go at his pace and he will get there.

Hi fee. yes i have considered the vet fees and what not, i have considered getting a pup, altho i dont have a great deal of money it is something i would be willing to pay.

But i know where your coming from. I have been thinking about it, and im going to ask the guy if i could have 3-4 week trial period to give the dog plenty time to settle in and to see if any problems arise, cos for his age if ge has any bad habits they should be fully developed and hopefiully that should give me enough time to make a educated judgement .

thanks for your advice and i have taken it on board and will think about these things when i visit the dog tomorrow and hope it all helps to make the right decision ..

thanks

Unfortunately not all rescue do give ongoing support and may lie about the dogs, I was lied to with 2 of mine, not RDR, they were as honest as they could be. I thought this was a good rescue because they did neuter etc but will never get another dog off them.

Not all do neuter, vaccinate or homecheck, especially the pounds who are trying to keep the dogs alive after their time is up, they don't have the money for this and prefer to save lives but put it on the contract to neuter etc.

Good rescues are worth their weight in gold, pity there isn't a lot more of them. :flowers:

I will get some pictures and let you know how it goes.

Your right mop, i got a rescue staffie once, such a lovely dog, but ever time i left him he would pee and poo all over the house and when i say leave i mean go up stairs for a pee or go to bed.

I didcussed it with rescue after a week after nothing i was doing would resolve this, turnes out the dog had been rehomed twice before and he was returned because of this problem. I felt i should have know this before hand and then a few days later the dog started fitting, so to the vets and turned out he was epilpetic , the rescuer said he knew nothing about that. but im not so sure.

and i said this isnt the dog you said he was, he has many issues, he said if i didnt want him then just go and take him a get him put down. I was pretty upset and angry.

so i called a guy that looked after the staffy at the kennels the rescue placed used before he was homed to me and he agreed to take him and care for him.

I would have kept the staffie but my kid was young then and vet advised me that the age of my kid and the work thats gonna be needed to look after the dog would be to much . that put me off getting a dog for a long time . but im bk and taking no chances :) famous last words maybe ? haha

Ok here is joe the farm dog, he wasnt keen on leaving his bros and sisters and dad, but cos he didnt work they couldnt keep him. he was smaller than his sisters and bros and parents so thinking maybe the runt of the littler.

He is really good natured and shows no dominance as all, pretty placid and great around people but nervous in town and streets as he lived pretty much in the sticks .

he first came in a peed in my sons toy box haha, so good start smile.gif no he been great so far, had a poo in yard and i have nearly taught him to sit . dont know how to add pics,,,, need help there please