UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

P45S, Or Lack Of......

elefan

I wonder if anyone can help please?

I was made redundant in April and received my P45 as expected. I found a part time job and gave this employer the P45. I have now lost the part time job as she can't afford to keep me. Now my ex-employer seems reluctant to give me my P45! Like, I'll post it tomorrow, sorry forgot will do it tomorrow etc etc. Now she is refusing to speak to me or answer calls and texts.

I am pretty certain it's because her PAYE wouldn't stand scrutiny!

I intend to contact the HMRC about it bit just wondered if anyone had any experience of this or if there are any legal peeps on here.

Very many thanks.

Penny

Do you have proof that she deducted tax from you - like a payslip?

Thanks guys.

No I have no payslips - I don't think she has been doing PAYE at all. I've never been unemployed before and took the job as it was work!

I shall have to contact HMRC otherwise my tax will be a mess.

Okay, from the other side of the counter,

Assuming you were earning enough to have tax deducted,and money was being deducted from your wages.

When you contact the tax office first of all ask if they have a record of you being employed by this employer?

If they do, then tell them the date that you left, and that she will not give you a P45. The tax office should then contact her direct to get the details.

The tax office do not get details of individual's tax payments until after the end of the tax year. The inyear returns only advise the total tax that is being sent in, but no details of who paid what.

If they do not have a record of you starting work there, then they will need the date that you started as well.

It may be that they do not have a record of her as an employer. In that case they should contact Employer Compliance , who will investigate.

You should also contact the Contributions Agency to see of National Insurance payments have been sent.

Okay, from the other side of the counter,

Assuming you were earning enough to have tax deducted,and money was being deducted from your wages.

When you contact the tax office first of all ask if they have a record of you being employed by this employer?

If they do, then tell them the date that you left, and that she will not give you a P45. The tax office should then contact her direct to get the details.

The tax office do not get details of individual's tax payments until after the end of the tax year. The inyear returns only advise the total tax that is being sent in, but no details of who paid what.

If they do not have a record of you starting work there, then they will need the date that you started as well.

It may be that they do not have a record of her as an employer. In that case they should contact Employer Compliance , who will investigate.

You should also contact the Contributions Agency to see of National Insurance payments have been sent.

Thank you so much, that is brilliant.

x

Thank you so much, that is brilliant.

Just thought, should I write to her and have evidence that I have tried to get the P45? Also, should I inform her of what I am going to do? I doubt she has sent the P45 for the job I had for 8 years which is probably more important.

Thanks again

x

If you think it will do any good you could try a recorded delivery letter.

You should point out that she is legally obliged to give you one, and give her a time limit to supply it.

Keep a copy of the letter.

However, if it is more than two weeks since you left, and bearing in mind that you did not get any payslips, I would just contact the tax office and see what they say.

They should have a record of your previous P45 details, so that should not be a problem. When you start another job they will advise your new employer of the details.

Tax Contact Centre staff sometimes leave a lot to be desired( I never said that) so don't be palmed off. The office who deals with last employer( if she has an employer record) should deal with this, but if she hasn't advised that you are working for her, your record will still be under your last employers reference.

The problem is going to be that you have no proof that she did actually deduct tax from your pay.

I am presuming that you do not have anything in writing to confirm your rate of pay, to compare with what you actually received.

Incidentally, if you are unemployed for more than four weeks and not claiming benefit, you can request a tax rebate for the weeks that you have not worked.

found this on HMRC website

Pay statements

You'll have to give each of your employees a pay statement - or payslip - at or before the time that you pay them. This can be in either paper or electronic format but it must show certain items, including each employee's gross pay (before any deductions are made), all deductions and the purposes for which they are made, and the net amount payable after the deductions have been made (also known as take home pay). If you don't give your employees an itemised payslip they could complain to an employment tribunal.

found this on HMRC website

Pay statements

You'll have to give each of your employees a pay statement - or payslip - at or before the time that you pay them. This can be in either paper or electronic format but it must show certain items, including each employee's gross pay (before any deductions are made), all deductions and the purposes for which they are made, and the net amount payable after the deductions have been made (also known as take home pay). If you don't give your employees an itemised payslip they could complain to an employment tribunal.

Very many thanks again, will write some letters today.