UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do You Hate Your Name?

phoebejo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first name is Andrea and I loathe it (sorry any Andrea's who love it!) my dad always called me Suzy as my middle name is Susan and after he died when I was six apparently I refused to answer to Andrea any more, even at school, so they had to call me Sue. Funnily enough, my husband always calls me Suzy too. I called my daughter Amanda Lorraine...she always was Mandy, Mandy Lulu when small, but since she married she decided Mandy Molyneux sounded rather like a dubious character in a soap, so she insists on Amanda :laugh:

My godmother was called Prudence Lorraine Nadage Edmunstone Craig! she married a Greek shipping magnate's son and changed her surname to...Mavrogordato :wacko: At least people could spell Edmunstone Craig!

I've never had an issue with mine, it's a pretty run o the mill name and I guess it suits me, I can't imagine being anything else anyway :laugh: Mind you, according to mother the only reason I'm Paul is because they thought I was going to be a girl so had already chosen Paula :mellow:

they were thinking about calling me Gina which I am not so sure about.

Hello Sandra! A very good friend of mine is called Gina, in fact it's Georgina but only her mum called her that, it works for her and I think it's nice name, both long and short versions. Someone I used to work with was married to a Georgina but everyone called her Georgie, I'm not so sure about that variation.

i was Katherine for about 2 weeks and after that im always know as kate or katie which i dont mind but no one ever really uses that mum and dad always call me curly!!! which i hate more my nanni used to call me mags(magpie) because s a child everything i had was found or collected and usually sparky! i still like that really cuz its cute. x

I went through phases of not liking my name, I dislike my middle name more, Dawn (sorry to any offended Dawns).

But the thing with my name is its usually pronounced incorrectly with a hard CH instead of a soft Sh. Or I get called Chester rolleyes.gif

Edited by chasta

Oh dear, we didn't mean to do that. You could give sproglet 3 names, so he/she has a good selection to choose from.

True but choosing one is hard enough! I think I will have to run my names past everyone here when we know what we're having so you can all give me honest thoughts!! Its such a minefield. Thinking what initials spell and what potential nicknames are!!

I hated my name when I was growing up, story goes that I was called after a box of chocolates mum got after having me. I was for ever being told that my name must be Teresa and I could never convince people that it wasn't. I felt better when I started spelling it with an I instead of a Y which is a males name. I quite like it now :biggrin: .

I wanted to call either of my daughters Victoria Charlotte Anne but mush for brains wouldn't let me. My daughter who is going to give me grandbrat no 3 soon wants to give her wee girl the middle name Ailsa :biggrin: .

Terri

You have all made me terrified of choosing names for my first baby which is due in February!!!

Dont be daft :rolleyes: the most sensible thing to do is a fugee poll and let us decide for you. Problem solved :biggrin: :laugh:

I'm not bothered by my name Rachael. I neither love or hate it, its just ok'

My old neighbours hated shortened names so called their son Scott. To their horror he was always called beamme as in beam me up Scottie :laugh:

I absolutely hate the name my parents gave me, it's oldfashioned and it rhymes (in Dutch) with a lot of words which can make you laughing stock for a lot of your class mates if you're not the most popular - and guess what? I wasn't. It's also unpronouncable for anyone who doesn't speak Dutch. :rolleyes: Fortunately, just before I moved over, I was visiting friends here in the UK and the subject turned to 'nick names'. At the time I had white blonde peroxided hair, spiked, and a load of bracelets, rings and a couple of piercings. Someone asked me if I had a nick name, and I apparently curled my lip in a 'no idea' kinda way, to which someone else responded with: "You look like Billy Idol!" I'll never know who it was, but I have them to thank my new name for. Only at work I'm still called Anne, which is the least bad of my 3 names, and I would actually like to find out if I could change my name by deed poll to Billy as well - what with me being Dutch. If I can, then that will be a pressie to myself :)

as a child i hated my name Kathleen, but i was always called Kathy or Kath, which i didnt like any better really. when i left school i worked for an indian family as a Polo groom, they had 2 other groom there, both Indian, who couldn't say Kathy and would say ketty or something similar, that got shortened to Kate, and when another girl started workng there she shorened it further to Kay, and it's stuck!

actually now im older i quite like Katheen now

my name is worse than any of yours. :( Imagine being a 5 year old starting school and being called Cherys Maxtine Varrin Clark-Darby !! :wacko:

Cherys is pronounce Sher eece Maxtine has a silent T so is Max een and Varrin is pronounce Va reen. :( All awful names but luckily it was shortened to Cher at a very early age ....Cher to rhyme with her and not hair ! and before Sonny and Cher became famous too.I would have loved a simple name.x