UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do You Hate Your Name?

phoebejo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am perfectly happy with my name, the only brief time i got annoyed with it was when my old foreman kept shouting me by my first and middle name which he had found after reading my companies records :angry: i only ever got that yelled at me when i was in trouble as a kid :laugh: to have 15 hairy blokes calling you it got a bit annoying :laugh:

not keen here either melanie was an afterthought mum and dad hadnt thought of girls names really cos they were convinced i was a boy :wacko: , so off mum went to hospital ready to give birth to stephen lee :rolleyes:

whilst in labour and in the early hours of the morning and during a huge thunderstorm and power cut which left the hospital in darkness with only emergency generators for power out i came, A GIRL :ohmy:

i became melanie because my dad had a sense of humour as he went home and picked it from the baby name book they had for the aptness of its meaning which is black or dark :laugh:

I don't really think about my name much. I can't imagine being called anything else.

Those that know me well call me Kel, I get called Morris or Mo a lot by ex cadet mates (as you call everyone by their surname). Since being married to C and changing my surname to a double barreled one I get called KCM a fair bit now too.

I don't like it when people who don't really know me call me Kel though.

It wasn't a common name when I was growing up, and I think had been used more as a boys name. Has become more popular for girls now though.

I like it's meaning although i don't suppose that was why my parents chose Kelly.

Yep, can't stand it. Barbara means, stranger or foreigner. Some of my family shorten it to "Barb" (hate that even more) and some brave souls to "Babs" (they risk death). The "barb" part of it sounds like something sharp that tears at things and spoils them.

I'd like something that sounds like a bit of a free spirit, something short that can't be shortened further. Not sure what I'd choose.

My sisters friends call her B (she is also a Barbara) sadly for her she is actually Barbara Ann - first and middle name!

My name is quite old fashioned for someone my age - but I've kind of got used to it...

I think naming is a hard thing to do...my cats are called Cocoa and Butter - just as well I don't have children!!!

I hated my name when I was growing up as no one in my peer group was ever called Melissa! don't mind it now, most people do call me Mel except my family as I have a sister called Melonie who is 11 months older than me so she got the shortened version first! her 'real' name is Perdita Melonie but my mum changed it around when she realised she was nothing like the Shakespearian fairy she had named her after laugh.gif My mum was was quite a forward thinker for her time none of my siblings (6 of them ) except 1 brother were given 'common' names or spellings of, for the time, for example another sister who she thought was going to be a boy has a middle name of Meredith,which I believe is a Welsh name?she would have been named Meredith if she was born a boy.

I like my name . I tend to only get called Melanie by official peeps, most people call me Mel or Melps [Jacqui Davies started that one!]

I've only ever [personally] known one other Mel and she's here. We are known [by police mainly lol] as The Two Mels and refer to each other as "The other Mel" we were even introduced as The Two Mels at a conference. My middle name is Ann but Melanie Ann is only ever used if I'm in big trouble!

I think the name came from a singer in the sixties.

My sisters are called Julie and Tina Mary [she hated hers and changed it to Chris, which shes been known as for at least 30 years]

One of my freinds is called Garri, short for Garamond. Her father was a printer and its apparantly the name of a font. I love her name but she hates it!