UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Do You Hate Your Name?

phoebejo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not overly keen on my name, all through school I was a Nicky which in my teen years became Nicki or Nickie, but as an adult I find Nicky immature and childish and insist on being Nicola or Nic, if I'd been graced with a middle name I'd probably be tempted to use it assuming I liked it better of course! thankfully neither parent got their first naming choice, my mother wanted to call me Laura but decided when I arrived I didn't look like a Laura :wacko: and apparently I was due on my great grandmothers birthday 11th Oct so my father wanted to name me after her Lillian!!! thankfully I was 11 days late :rolleyes: Nicola I gather was my mothers choice but she wanted it spelt Nichola and my father got it wrong :ohmy:

My eldest hates his name Kyle and says he wishes I'd just given him a boring common name (use your middle name son that's Andrew!) and Thomas loves his name which is dead boring and common, there are 2 Thomas' a Tom and a Tommy in his year at school although Tommy is a girl :huh:

I actually like my name and am so used to no-one knowing which way to spell it (forename and surname) that it doesn't bother me in the slightest and is a surprise when it is spelt correctly. My best friend in childhood was Lesley and born on the same day and we were always mixed up so my name has always been 'fluid' :laugh:

Bit unfortunate though that with three 's'' in my name, I have a slight lisp :rolleyes:

When I was growing up I hated my name being shortened, even though I hated Margaret too (no offence Mrs B :biggrin: ). I was a very timid 18 when I started my first job. Less than half an hour in new job, new boss told me there was no way he was calling me Margaret all the time and he christened me Mags. I was too nervous to say anything so just agreed.

It stuck and now all these years later most people wouldn't even know me as Margaret. Even Mam calls me Mags most of the time.

I even have Mags on our wedding invitations and unity candle. I will take my vows as Margaret but that's it.

I'm named after my mother and grandmother. Don't know why I got stuck with it as I have two older sisters.

Andy is christened Andrew (after my late father) but is called Andy (Dad was always Andy). I had to explain in school that they will get no response if they call him Andrew :laugh:

wow I'm so surprised at how many people don't like their names.

My name is Jodie which I don't mind and can't think of anything else I'd rather be called!!. Most people call me Jod which is said Jo'd not as in jod-phurs lol. I've never been called Jo cause my mum hates it, but thats fine by me.

My mum is called Barbara which is usually shortened to Barb and by very old friends as Babs.

I have always liked boys names to be the ones that can be shortened eg Samuel - Sam, Thomas - Tom, Jacob - Jake etc.

I think a lot of names are liked and disliked by the people we know or have known.

Must say that I hate it when people spell my name wrong and write it down as Jody, don't really know why, but I assume its just because its the wrong spelling (and i think that is the way that the boys version is spelt?)

Only at work I'm still called Anne, which is the least bad of my 3 names, and I would actually like to find out if I could change my name by deed poll to Billy as well - what with me being Dutch. If I can, then that will be a pressie to myself :)

Deed polls are a wonderful thing (having reverted to my original second name) and they say this which might help you Billy?

If you do not hold a British passport we would advise you to contact your passport office and ask whether they would be willing to accept a Deed Poll issued in the UK.

It has taken me about 20 years to decide I quite like my name (Morag Heirs - pronounced like Ayres) though it still annoys me when people spell it wrongly after I go through it letter by letter. Probably worse because I grew up in a house with a gaelic name (Tigh a Gharraidh) :laugh: Mortally offended my mum when I told her I didn't like my name as I am named after a very dear friend of hers. Unfortunately Morag was shortened and added to lots of insults when I was at school :unsure:

Anyway - not too bad now, though I might still change it one day...