UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Perfect Job For A Fugee?

zico's mum

I dont think I could afford to live in Cornwall on that amount. The house I bought in 1972 there for £6000 just sold for £340000.

But it is nice to see them expanding , they need a really good publicity push because we still see alot of case getting into the grasp of rescues that could be sorted out better.

I think this will be wonderful for the right, committed person.

I was offered a job at their other sanctuary some few years ago now, which unfortunately I wasn't able to take up (gutted didn't quite cover it at the time, I still feel a bit sad :().

I got to visit the sanctuaries, including the one this job is for - and they are wonderful places. Really fantastic idea and a very inspirational way to house the animals I thought. I really admired everything about them - the sanctuaries, the staff, the way they cared for the animals :wub:

It says free accommodation is provided

Ye but it doesnt say free food, fuel and everything else. nor even just a little bit off the difference in the cost of living . I have got used to eating , travelling around, wearing clothes and keeping warm and not just hiding from the rainI blame the Eden project---had to have a big road and people use it to go further than they should.

Or Council Tax !!!!

Did you know that cauliflowers are 12 per cent dearer in Cornwall than anywhere else and they grow them there! ( but call them broccolli to confuse people)

Ye but it doesnt say free food, fuel and everything else. nor even just a little bit off the difference in the cost of living . I have got used to eating , travelling around, wearing clothes and keeping warm and not just hiding from the rainI blame the Eden project---had to have a big road and people use it to go further than they should.

Or Council Tax !!!!

Did you know that cauliflowers are 12 per cent dearer in Cornwall than anywhere else and they grow them there! ( but call them broccolli to confuse people)

The salary is around £16k and you don't have to pay for somewhere to live. I'd have thought, even after tax, that there would be enough for food, fuel, clothes etc.

The salary is around £16k and you don't have to pay for somewhere to live. I'd have thought, even after tax, that there would be enough for food, fuel, clothes etc.

I agree, goodness I have friends who live and work in London on less then that without free accomodation!

What a great job hope they get someone really passionate about it.

I live in Cornwall, and really, our cauliflowers are not that expensive! (Is there even a national pricing standard for cauliflower...?)

Average wages here are about 25% under the national average, and the house price rise is a very recent thing*. If everything were that much more expensive here, then most of us who live and work in the area would be starving.

We do have supermarkets, which so far as I am aware, charge the same here as they do elsewhere, but we also have plenty of good smaller shops and farmers markets which I would say often work out cheaper if you buy the right stuff and are prepared to cook it.

Petrol tends to be a bit dearer, and you need it because public transport is limited and everything is a long way away, and council tax is disproportionately high for what you get, compared to urban areas. But that applies to most rural counties.

I reckon it would be a bit of a struggle to get by on 16,000, but no more than in many other places.

*and a bit of a myth as well. OK, there are people who will buy houses for the absurd prices being quoted now, if they are in the right place - but I know people who have had their houses on the market literally for 4-5 years and not sold. That says to me that those absurd prices aren't that real!

Dont forget thats 16k gross so a third of it goes in tax & insurance plus you would probably be wanting to maybe think about saving towards a place of your own when you eventually leave the job, all that will reduce the amount you have to live on. TBH it will probably suit someone who has a husband or wife also earning. We lived in Cornwall for 5 years and LOVED it, I would go back there in a heartbeat so I did look at this one quite closely, however even with hubbys RAF pension we'd need for him to be working and finding him a permanent non seasonal job wouldn't be easy.

I used to live in London for practically nothing.. well the dole when they were not messing me about plus the occasional gardening job, and half the collection bottle from doing comedy shows at Camden lock.

I now manage to live in Birmingham quite easily on around £7 ,000 plus playing the plastic game--mainly in the form of Pension credits--it used to be more before my pension disappearred in a puff of smoke at the same time that nice Mr Straw cancelled my asbestosis compensation. Ok most of my food comes straight from the alllotment on bartering and meat in exchange for various cleaning. ( delicacies and treats from the nice people who raid the Best Before bins behind Asda) Dog food is about the only thing that requires cash so I cant do any more fostering unless i get a lodger or two.

By comparison, when I lived in Cornwall , I had a 7 a week night shift job in the mine on chargehand rates, ran a market stall two days a week and had a building and decorating company for winter work in hotels and I still couldnt keep my head above water---( and the wife worked in a bank )

The only difference really is I dont drink so much I dont drive at all ( I have a trolley and a shopping basket on wheels) and Teddy texas is half the size of the dog I had then. I dont go top so many rock festivals or political meeting -I can now vent my grumpy old gitnes via the computer.

Mind you dont get me wrong. If any one has the odd company directorship going and you need a bit of a figure head,, a grand a year would see me all right, as longas i dont have to do anything other than shake handss ( no fo9rget that til the swine flu has gone away)

Now before you reply can i ask a favour ---please put as much thought and effort into supporting the Cinnamon trust as you will thinking up repsonse to my imbecilic ramblings.

I take a fraction more than that out of the kennels in my wages with my accomodation supplied by the compnay, and probably pay a little more in tax than this position would as i have to accept a tax on part of the living accomodation, on being a director so not getting it all totally free, and i pay a percentage of the gas and electric bills myself. It leaves me enough to be comfortable, take a few holidays and weekends away. I dont go out drinking and clubbing, nor do i eat out, but shop well in ASDA. Im suprised at people being negative at 16k when the house is free as its a decent amount to live on with a bit of thought.