UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Thought I'D Pop In An Update.

JACKYSIAN

Hi guys

Thought I'd just give you a quick update on me and the big lad as I've not been around for a while. We've sort of had a bit of a major break through together and things are looking good (for now!!).

Had a fright earlier in the year when he lost alot of weight in a very short period of time, I admit I didn't notice it as quickly as I should have and it was bought sharply to my attention one saturday morning when I arrived to find him flat out in his stable (I'd left him in over night after being wormed) and his stable was covered literally with muck ..as was he!! I had to get help to get him up and of course the vet was called out instantly. Turns out we think he either had picked up bacteria from the haylage he was on or he was intolerant to haylage (which we now suspect was the cause) and by worming him I'd just sent his body into meltdown. It's not been easy and I've had a few days when I actually thought I might loose him. Sadly another pony on the yard was pts the same day I found Kane so that didn't help my frame of mind!!! Luckily after months of care and very expensive food he's now back to full weight...if not a tad over weight but I'm not going to complain about that!

Anyway in the period we were finding food he could tolerate we made a few mistakes and I sadly paid the price!! The vet had assured me that exercise was going to be a good thing so I had continued to ride, obviously not initally but after a month he was back to health so I started to hack him out again. Anyway one of the feeds wasn't suiting his temperment and he became a little bit naughty!! Had one day where I actually came off him twice in the space of 1 hour!!! I wasn't badly hurt but dented my confidence for a week or so! He was extreamly spooky for a while and like a rocket but in a away at least I knew he was feeling good so I wasn't going to stress about that!! Luckily I've now got him on a feeding schedule that suits us both (Allen & Page feeds ..anyone wants a recommendation then it's them!!! Their nutritionist has been a god send to me and the feeds are 100%! I will never feed Kane anything else!).

Anyway the result of his illness reminded me that our time together is short and precious so it's got me off my bum and we're going great guns. We completed our first show 3 weeks ago with me actually riding him!!! Got 1st and 2nd in the 2 classes we entered and on saturday we are entering a combinded dressage and jumping class..followed with an afternoon of Le Trek training!! And Sunday is another show, which I'm entering Working Hunter with him!! He's also been for a trip to the forest and the major big plan is to do a sponsored ride with him next year (Sarah at Wicc's can fill you in on that one!!)

Anyway hope everyone is okay and enjoying their horses to the full, because it's only a few short years we get to share with them and we should remember how special they are.

A few piccys to prove we did finally do a show!!

Jacky70920.jpg

Jacky70938.jpg

Jacky70914.jpg

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacky! It's so good to hear from you :GroupHug: You have been on my mind for a few days now and there you go and post :biggrin:

Well I am glad to hear that Kane is now fine and you are both enjoying life :flowers:

How's my Sidney? George hasn't been so good but is improving slowly. You wouldn't believe Dan (Anam) he's a totally different dog :)

Hope the rest of the rabble are OK :flowers:

Thanks guys. I'm not sure about a 'career' in showing.. :laugh: Can't say it's something I'll get excited about, find it all abit too much like hard work to be honest! I'm definatley enjoying jumping and surprised myself by really enjoying learning the dressage test which I thought I'd find boring. But I'm not sure I'll do many shows..takes too long to get his legs sparkling white!!

So sorry to hear about George, loads of love to him Marion. Sidney is hunkydory! He's mad as normal and still ball crazy! The new boy Sumo is a great source of entertainment, he's a real character and just the most gentle and loving little dog. Found out he's incontinent but that's sorted with medication now. Typical me can't take on a dog without it having something wrong!! Tiz and Cooper are there usual staffy types, still breaking things and making noise! Cromwell hasn't been too good, he's had 2 strokes now and is definately a very old man (nearly 16!!), he's breaking my heart but right now he's woo woo-ing at me and still demanding walks and fine food so it's all good. He rattles when he walks from all the pills and is on so much liquid glucosmine and msm that I'm surprised he doesn't slide everywhere!! :laugh:

So please to hear Anam is going strong, that little man nearly gave me heart failure but I'm so happy he's living the life of Riley.

I'm so very pleased for you and Kane, Jacky. Well done on your successes and every more congratulations for overcoming your fears and getting on with enjoying Kane :flowers: :GroupHug:

I hope you have a fantastic time at your next competition and also on the sponsored ride. Kane looks really well now, a credit to you :wub: