UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Advice On Ckc'S Spaniels Health

tegk68

I don't know a great deal about Cavalier King Charles spaniels accept for what I know about my sister's dog who lived to an amazing 17 years old despite a heart murmur. There is someone elsewhere who has a very sorry situation regarding their CKC. Apparently this 9 year old dog has gone from a grade 2/3 murmur to a grade 5 murmur in 2 months. In addition the dog has eye ulcers. They have worked out that the combined cost of drugs (ongoing) for both the eye and heart treatment (not a cure but to ease the situation) is around £100 a month. I am aware that money is an issue for them. Regardless, the vet has advised the dog be PTS, apparently because he believes heart failure is imminent. I just wondered what those more experienced with the breed think. For example, would the dog have any longevity with treatments or is it just impossible to tell. She's such a sweet looking thing and it seems so sad.

Although I have a cav, she's only 18month or so and (touch wood) her heart is fine, but I did used to have pomeranians and my daughter's little bitch was diagnosed with a bad heart at around 8...the locum vet wore a very solemn face and advised pts....I said rubbish, give me the tablets! Twinkle eventually died in my arms at home aged 12 and a half! according to that vet she only had months, and would be in great discomfort. If they can't afford the treatment then sadly pts may be the only way to go, but certainly don't write the poor girl off for any other reason! my own two poms went on until 13 and a day off 16 with chronic heart failure, but it was only in the last week of their lives that they showed any real discomfort.

Well done those two Poms, bless themwub.gif . That's very encouring to hear Suzanna. Most certainly if this cav were mine I don't think I couldn't try an alternative but that's not to say the owner is wrong not to do so. However, I do know money is an issue and hope that this isn't clouding their judgement. Although if the money's not there....

I had a CKCS with a grade 5 murmur and eye ulcers. She was on Fortekor and did very well for about 2 years before her heart failed.

We paid approx £30 per month for that but you can buy it online for £22. [prescription needed]

I can't remember the stuff we used for eye ulcers but I'm sure the combined cost was nowehere near £100 per month [it may well have been £50]

I seem to remember that both meds were much cheaper to buy from either a chemist or online than from the vets. [My vet was charging silly money to issue a script though so we didn't bother]

Hope they can sort something out.

I had a CKCS with a grade 5 murmur and eye ulcers. She was on Fortekor and did very well for about 2 years before her heart failed.

We paid approx £30 per month for that but you can buy it online for £22. [prescription needed]

I can't remember the stuff we used for eye ulcers but I'm sure the combined cost was nowehere near £100 per month [it may well have been £50]

I seem to remember that both meds were much cheaper to buy from either a chemist or online than from the vets. [My vet was charging silly money to issue a script though so we didn't bother]

Hope they can sort something out.

Wow Melp, thank you. Fantastically useful and encouraging information. I'll pass it onflowers.gif