UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Miscarriages

Amanda Jvv

2 weeks ago I was told I had an early miscarriage. This came as a complete shock as I didn't know I was pregnant and my husband and I weren't trying. I was 1.5 wks late (though I had a late period the month before so exact timing could be off) and had heavy bleeding and clotting which carried on for 3 - 4 hours and a little overnight. I called the NHS helpline who adviced me on what to do and to call my Dr in the morning which I did. He said he was almost sure it was a miscarriage and one that was so early that is often missed by many women.

So I went away trying to process this information because it is shocking by any means but so hard to digest when it was the last thing you were expecting. I've really battled to understand it to be honest because nothing was confirmed.

Now two weeks on I am getting increasingly more and more nauseous, lightheaded etc. Generally exhausted and just feeling off. I often just have ryvita and butter for dinner because I stomach anything else. I have assumed that it is the hormones working their way out mixed with the heat!!

Today I decided to do a pregnancy test which was obviously positive and finally puts my mind at rest and confirms I was pregnant. (dont know why I waited so long to confirm this!)

Anyway my question is: how long can the pregnancy hormone stay in your body after a miscarriage? I'd just like to put this behind me and stop feeling sick.

Thanks!

Amandaa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear what you're going through Amanda :GroupHug:

Unfortunately I think this is one of those 'everyone and every miscarriage is different' scenarios. A very rough rule of thumb would be that it can take 4-6 weeks for pregnancy hormones to leave your body.

Seems so unfair to have the symptoms of pregnancy still :sad02:

You need to go back to the doctor or hospital honey. It could be you are still pregnant but had a heavy bleed, and you need checking out. After 2 weeks you shouldn't be showing positive on a test. I bled really heavily with 3 of my girls but didn't actually miscarry until my 4th pregnancy.

You need checking out. xx :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Hi, I totally feel for you. 8 years ago I had a miscarriage and was unaware apart from a very light bleed, which was worrying although like you had not even considered may be pregnant, so had mixed feelings as I thought I had some underlying serious illness. I attended the hospital and all this was confirmed, however, I seem to remember actually getting pregnant again within the month and hence Harrison! I would certainly get this properly checked out for your own piece of mind (sorry I cannot do emotions, so have a hug x

I'd go back to the Doctors.

No doubt there's exceptions to everything, and I'm certainly no expert, but I had a pregnancy test at the Doctors around a week after a miscarriage to be certain I had had a miscarriage, and it was a negative.

:GroupHug: for you and your husband.

You need to be referred to an Early Pregnancy Unit, probably for an internal scan. The symptoms you're describing, nausea etc usually kick in around 7 weeks. You could've been carrying twins and lost one or it could've just been a bleed like many women get in early pregnancy. But with pregnancy hormones still present and with the pregnancy symptoms there's obviously something still there.

I have had 3 miscarriages, one I was 3 days late for my period, I knew so early because I was on fertility treatment, the hormone should well be out of your system by now after 2 weeks..I miscarried on a Monday the hormone continued to rise till about the Wednesday and had more or less gone by the friday. So you need to do another pregnancy test or tell the doc your symptoms, it is very true you may have lost a twin?

Sorry you went through this :GroupHug: its not nice at all :GroupHug:

Don't panic but do all the correct things as you may well have lost an early pregnancy, but still carrying a possible twin.

I have had several miscarriages, and had 6 healthy babies. I did still feel sick afterwards, probably for quite a few days, don't think it was weeks though.

I didn't go to the doctors because if everything seemed to be coming away I saw no reason for a hospital trip and intervention, plus possible hospital acquired infection getting me to feel worse physically than I felt emotionally already. I have to stress these were quite early on, the latest one being about 8 weeks - the size of a broad bean.

I don't like scans, and have refused them in the past having read up on the possible harmful effects, especially of the internal ones. Some people like to know so they can be prepared some don't want to interfere with nature.

Many of on here will have experienced similar things and usually it is just not talked about, well done for feeling you can ask your friends on here. I do know how you feel and am thinking of you at this difficult time. :GroupHug:

You are all so wonderful! :GroupHug: Thank you for all your advice.

I was tired of feeling sick and faint and got my mother in law to take me to the hospital. Well I am none the wiser except the hospital is convinced I am pregnant and that I have a urinary infection I knew nothing of. So until the blood tests come back on Tuesday I dont know anymore than I did after peeing on a stick!! :unsure:

Doctors words were 'if your test said you are still pregnant and my test said you are still pregnant then you must be pregnant' but he had no answer for how long preg hormones stay in the body or why I had all the signs of a miscarriage and so many clots!

So I now I wait. He said to make an appointment with the Early Pregnancy Unit to get a scan and then call my own Dr on Tuesday for the blood results.

If I have had a miscarriage and this is just the hormones then its pretty mean to let me be sick still and now 'wait and see'.

Sorry for anyone who has experienced this but thank you for all your advice. Will keep you posted!

Amanda

Edited by Amanda Jvv