UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buying Or Rescuing.

Melp

I've read this thread with much interest and can see both sides of the story so really haven't much controversial to add.

The thing is my Misty died this week and while the hole in my life is totally Misty shaped just now I know that gradually it will become more 'Dog' shaped and I will want another companion. However I live alone (with the cat & budgies) and circumstances force that I work seven days a week (2 jobs 53.5 hours) and although there is always someone who will call in and check my pets if I'm away for long periods the question is which rescue would let me adopt a dog? Reading through some in the past couple of days I don't think I'm in with a chance?

So when I am ready for another companion to love to bits what will my choice be? Am I expected to be dog-less because of others expectations, despite the long and happy relationship I had with Mist? Would I be 'allowed' an older dog to care for and enjoy for the rest of his days or is my choice limited to a puppy that I can go out and buy without putting myself through being judged as fit or unfit by others?

I'm not having a pop - I'm too sad for any agro. I really just want to know.

Lynne

:GroupHug: Firstly I'm sorry to read of your loss. I can only suggest that when the time comes you look at your options then. Some rescues will I'm afraid quite possibly look at 53.5 hours, living alone etc & dismiss you out of hand. Some may be willing to at least do a home visit & consider the facts from there. Whilst circumstances didn't always begin that way I've known some very happy dogs live with single working people in various homes (including my own)

Rightly or wrongly you will probably always be able to get a dog if you want one but please don't buy a puppy - they just can't cope with being left for 53 hours per week even if Misty, as an older dog, could.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im another one who agrres with responsible breeding , im not a very experienced dog owner i grew up terrified of dogs especially black ones after been bitten by a black lab as a child , i was so scarred by that experience that when my ex husband talked me into getting a dog finally , his breed of choice was a Dobermann and i insisted that if he wanted one it could not be black and tan it had to be the liver and tan , does that make me shallow ? I dont actually care as it turned out that daft dobe dog taught me everything i know about dogs , training and behaviour, and because of him i now have 2 very happy dogs.

When i felt ready to take the plunge with another dog for company for my lovely Taz my breed of choice was a Pyrenean mountain dog because i had dreamed of owning one from a small child but thought it would be impossible because of my very real fear of dogs . there is no way on this earth i could have taken on a rescue dog at that time i had neither the experience or the knowledge to do so , so i went to a reputable breeder after researching the breed for over 25 years .

I travelled not much under 1000 miles to bring my puppy home after being thoroughly vetted by her breeder , over quite a few weeks and hours on the phone and quite rightly so, she was reluctant for one of her pups to go to a novice home and only relented when she realized how much research i had done , i broke 2 cars and eventually had to hire a car to collect her so she ended up costing me a fortune , a lot of people slated me for it at the time i can remember being told how many dogs in rescue that money could have helped , however i have never felt guilty about buying either Taz or Akira from breeders , they have had a life they might not have had if they had been sold to somebody who could have used them for breeding or worse . My point is at that time i could not have taken on an adult dog so my decision to buy a puppy was the right one for me my family , my circumstances and most important my puppy , Taz bless him would have accepted any dog into his home it was my lack of experience that prevented a rescue coming here .So my decision did not mean a dog would die in a pound because i could not have taken one on .

When i lost Taz i was devastated and did not want another dog at all , at the time i was involved in a rescue operation involving an awful lot of greyhounds who were in a disgusting state , and decided to try my hand at fostering which i never thought i would be able to do . Akira loved having some doggy company as she had been miserable since Taz left for the bridge , however Bart our foster dog did not much like being bounced on my a huge fluff ball who even as a pup was huge and heavier than he was . The rescue did have some very dodgy ideas and as a novice to the rescue world i did question their methods back then but just wanted to help.

When it was time for Bart to move on i cried buckets over him and was really upset , one day i saw Storm on a website and i just wanted to help him he looked so sad , i was turned down as a foster to start with because i had Akira and the rescue was worried as they were told storm was everything aggressive and with huge dogs like them if something goes wrong it can be horrific , however i kept in touch and asked about the progress they were making trying to find him a foster place and after a lot of chats the rehoming officer asked me if i would be willing to let her bring Storm over to meet Akira to see how it went , 4 years later he is still here , he still has some issues but hes a fantastic dog and more obedient than Akira . it has all been a fantastic learning curve for me and i have learned a lot more about dogs behaviour towards each other its not been easy but all the hard work has paid off and i have 2 happy dogs which is great .

Now to the question would i buy another dog from a reputable breeder ? My answer would still have to be honestly yes i would , i have experience of very few breeds of dogs and i would like to think i could offer those breeds a good home however Taz was not a typical Dobe i was very lucky that he was such an easy going dog.

Pyreneans do not often come up in rescue in fact in the last 15 years including my Storm ive only heard about 2 being in rescue in Scotland which is brilliant . I love the breed and i understand them very well for all their stubborn independant ways they are a real challenge but a rewarding one .

It will very much depend on my circumstances when im looking for another dog if i go to a breeder or go down the rescue route im not saying my next dog has to be a Dobe or a Pyr but i will say i will only ever have dogs that i know i can work with and who are right for me , i know myself well enough to know i could not take on a dog thats high maintenece and needs constant stimulation for example a collie as i would definately not be the right home for that breed , who knows i might fall even in love with a teeny weenie yorkie :laugh:

Puppy farmers and BYB,s should all be shut down and in an ideal world they would be , we all know that but as has already been said in this thread reputable breeders cannot stand them either .

We all have our own thoughts and ideas on this very emotive subject and i really do admire people who can offer a home to any dog that needs it no matter what breed or x breed they are and i think im slightly jealous of some of you having the confidence to do just that .

I dont judge people for the decisions they make , it would be great if we were all in a position to say " i will only ever have rescue dogs " but we are not and if that means some of us are limited by our own fears or circumstances then thats just how it is , and i would rather have a pup from a reputable breeder than take on a dog i could not cope with and had to take back to rescue because of my lack of experience , that would break my heart .

Fiona xx

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread: all the contributions have been so well-put and thought-through.

I can see everyone's point of view. Mine is that there are good breeders and good rescues - and bad breeders and bad rescues.

The key factor in all of this is educating the public through the media to make them aware of the effect of the choices they make.

I do not believe the media in this country has the courage to do this - because to state a few home truths about buying from puppy-supermarkets; breeding dogs just to make money - or even (gasp!) the good some breeders of pedigree dogs do by striving to eradicate hereditary faults and ensuring all the pups they sell go to homes that have done their research....would offend too many people. Also the argument isn't always black and white.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed did raise some important issues - but all told I thought it was sloppy and lazy work :( . Of course - Joe Public likes a heart-wrenching sob story with an easy-to-identify villain and a potential happy ending - but focussing on a few breeds with health problems - showing some distraught owners and then blaming it all on the Kennel Club was patronising most of the viewers. Yes, the KC does seriously need to get its house in order and yes - in some (many?) breeds, dog shows have helped create parodies of what the dogs once were ( I loved the bit in the bassetts). However - how many dogs with serious hereditary defects and / or mental health issues are bred by puppy farmers, back yard breeders or those cunning people who boast about their lack of knowledge or breed standards or bloodlines and say they breed for 'temperament'? ( I can think of one breeder who is so conmmitted to breeding for 'temperament' they breed several litters each year - encourage people who buy a pup to breed their own litter and turn a blind eye to the fact that they are perpetuating some serious health problems - buy hey - the dogs are cute and the 'customers' are by and large happy -so what's the harm?!)

The harm lies in the fact that many would be responsible breeders are no longer breeding because they are breed enthusiasts, not PR people and they only breed when they have a waiting list of good people - as opposed to internet-educated people who want a pup at the click of a mouse! This hasn't helped the rescue problem at all, because they are slowly being replaced by more puppy farmers, more back yard breeders and more people churning out 'designer' crosses for 'temperament' and 'health' (so 2 breeds prone to HD, or CEA, or PRA can't produce affcted pups?!!! - course they can!)

Just my opinion - but I can't help feeling the half-hearted job the media does over the whole dog scene actually exacerbates the problem.

I have nothing but admiration for people who devote their lives to rescue - but surely the problem is so great now that we should not be discriminating between breeders and rescues - but between genuine dog lovers and money-grasping opportunists?

Edited by Kanie