UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buying Or Rescuing.

Melp

"I am realistic enough to realise that we will never stop breeding, but, would like to see stricter rules for this, and I dont mean the acredited breeder scheme, I would like to see where it becomes illegal to breed from dogs that havent been health tested or temperment tested with the test relevent to that breed, all pups tattooed or chipped to the breeder that bred them so that if a dog they bred ended up in the pound or rescue the breeder would be liable for cost until that dog has found a new home, oh I could go on and on but am sure you get the gist of it "

I agree with that wholeheartedly x

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<<snip>> all pups tattooed or chipped to the breeder that bred them so that if a dog they bred ended up in the pound or rescue the breeder would be liable for cost until that dog has found a new home, oh I could go on and on but am sure you get the gist of it

Now that is an absolutely brilliant idea - if only it could/would be implemented,it may well make those breeding solely for cash think again.

Once upon a time I did a transport run for a rescue who doesn't post here.

I was asked to collect 2 dogs from the pound, the pound knew which two I was to collect, I didn't.

Anywayyyy, I arrived and was taken into the kennel block, past rows of dogs to the kennel where 'my' two were waiting. When I asked what was happening to the rest of them [30 odd dogs] the ENTIRE block was being destroyed that afternoon. :mecry: :mecry:

The hardest thing I've ever had to do [besides having my own dogs pts] was to walk past those faces knowing full well they'd be dead by teatime.

I would have paid money for every single one of those dogs if there'd been somewhere for them to go.

I have paid money to buy dying greyhounds from a disgusting trainer in Aberdeen. It contributed to the industry and me and others were slated for doing it but I would do it again tomorrow if the situation were the same.

I have bought a dog from the freeads which went straight into a waiting rescue rather than being sold as a breeding bitch [which was what she was advertised as]

For those reasons I will never criticise Yena for what she did. I almost certainly would have done the same DESPITE knowing what I know about rescue.

Its very easy to say you'd never do it, its a damn sight harder to turn your back once you've had sight of the dog.

I totally agree. Those poor dogs, makes me feel ill at the thought of how many suffer and die.

I would personally not choose to have a pup from anywhere (bought or rescue), I just like to give older dogs a chance, not necessarily Old aged, just older.

I dont judge people who buy dogs, but it does niggle a bit when there are so so many in rescues, but as many people on here..is that easy for me to say? as my first choice dogs are a plenty in rescue, ie, sighthounds, bull breeds, crossbreeds....I am also lucky in a sense that I am not actually stuck on any breed, to me when I meet a dog for me..no matter the breed etc then I know and it wouldnt matter if it was a greyhound or any of my other most loved breeds...I have had golden retrievers, greyhounds, crossbreeds and have loved them all...

The golden retriever was going to be drowned in the canal so we took him..a rescue? private rehoming?

greyhound...all rescue.

crossbreed being left all day at a neighbours, neglected so we asked for her Tasha my sweetheart, and we got her, crossbreed and WOW I wouldnt take a nano second back from my time with her.

It IS hard not to buy from pet shops etc, I face this alot with rats..which I also love and own, there are soooo many in pet shops and I would take them all if I could..especially the poor buggars being kept alone, I again have only had rescue rats but it is SO tempting to buy them from the shop :(

I want ALL dogs to live a happy, healthy and fulfilling life no matter where they are from, its not there fault after all is it? I just wish we didnt have to help rescues, that there were none, but unfortunately I cant see that happening.. :(

I personally will only ever have rescue dogs, doesn't make my choice the perfect one though, i do accept that :)

Having been involved in rescue for over 20 years and seeing endless dogs that have been brought into a World that doesn't respect or care for them there is no way that I could encourage breeders however 'good' they are.

I adore Beagles and couldn't imagine being without one or more in my life but if it meant buying from a breeder then I would have to live without them unfortunately.

I know many breeders who are also involved in rescue but I do find that at odds with how I see things-at the end of the day they are just putting more dogs out there with the risk of them having a rotten life.

I was only saying to a friend the other day how the majority of 'ordinary' dog owners do not have any understanding of canine psychology and a dog's needs and I am talking about those that 'love' their dogs. It's really quite worrying. It is not enough to 'love' a dog or whatever people mean when they say that. They need to respect their needs that's what gives a dog the life it deserves.

Having been involved in rescue for over 20 years and seeing endless dogs that have been brought into a World that doesn't respect or care for them there is no way that I could encourage breeders however 'good' they are.

I adore Beagles and couldn't imagine being without one or more in my life but if it meant buying from a breeder then I would have to live without them unfortunately.

I know many breeders who are also involved in rescue but I do find that at odds with how I see things-at the end of the day they are just putting more dogs out there with the risk of them having a rotten life.

I was only saying to a friend the other day how the majority of 'ordinary' dog owners do not have any understanding of canine psychology and a dog's needs and I am talking about those that 'love' their dogs. It's really quite worrying. It is not enough to 'love' a dog or whatever people mean when they say that. They need to respect their needs that's what gives a dog the life it deserves.

Totally agree with this :flowers: My neighbours love their dogs to bits and consider themselves knowledgeable, yet, as far as I'm concerned, those dogs have the most miserable exitence you can imagine: hardly every walked, their outdoor time is confined to a 10 by 15 ft yard with a 6 ft high fence, and the old boy is so overweight he's grotesque. There is no point in calling the RSPCA, they take their dogs to the RSPCA hospital with any complaints and they are well known. :( :(

I agree that we need good breeders. However, what I would consider a good breeder wouldn't be one which breeds a type of dog which has had health problems bred into it down the generations, unless the breeder was actively seeking to breed out those imperfections. I'm sure lots of those who have been breeding unhealthy dogs down the years have been considered good breeders by some, especially since a lot of unhealthy dogs have been shown at crufts and the like.

For me personally I can't see me in all conscience ever buying a dog. There are certain breeds I would love to own which rarely come up in rescue, but my want for a certain type of dog would be secondary to a rescue dog's need for a new home.

Everyone has to live with their own conscience, so it's up to others what they do.

The way I look at it, dogs (and cats) are a species that has evolved to live closely with people. Our civilisation is their ecological niche. In a human society some animals will inevitably not get ideal lives, this is true.

Thing is, practically no person or animal does get an ideal life, human society or no. Wild animals, their lives aren't perfect, they don't always get enough/the right things to eat, they aren't free from pain, stress or misery. Most people's lives are not free from pain, stress and misery.

This is why I don't subscribe to the 'we should strive to eliminate pets because some of them will inevitably suffer' argument. If we were talking about a species that lives largely independent of human society - say the tiger - the idea of deliberately removing them from their ecological niche until there were none left would be rightly considered appalling.

Reducing misery is a good thing, and any population (including ours) will tend to be happier and healthier if its numbers are controlled. But if you remove everything that might result in misery from life then there isn't a lot left. That's why I support the careful and expert breeding of dogs, even though personally I don't need to buy a pup and probably never will.

I am VERY pro rescue and foster for 3 local rescues. Last christmas we had a horrible experience with a huge well know rescue on dogpages. To cut it short they treated us like poo. We had a homecheck for the particular pup. Which we passed. We phoned to arrange to pick the dog up. Which they did and we arranged to travel the next morning (Was a 9hr round trip). 40mins later we get a phonecall to say we could no longer get the pup as we couldnt guarentee a foster dog was fully vaccinated (which it turns out he was) They wouldnt wait. Treated us like crap and made me vow never to use large rescue organisations like that again. I dont know where the pup ended up but I know he missed a great life here. I just hope he is happy. I would rescue from the 3 local rescues we foster for as I believe we treat very person fairly and take every home offer in to consideration. I would never dream of treating a family the way this charity treated us.

Needless to say my mum would not go through that again and a couple of weeks later we found a wonderful dog needing a home in the dreaded freead's and yes we went and go him. Was a 7hour round trip and I will not apologise as he is a great dog. Not a rescue but he was born and needed a home.

Henry was from the free ads :rolleyes: best thing I ever did. I got him as I was turned down by 3 rescues for working full time, yet two months after we got him we adopted the beagles from the breed rescue and a very nice rescue in South Wales :)

Fast forward to 2009 - homecheck and passed by a rescue up here. Won't rehome a staffy to us as we have no experience of them :(

Luckily Molly came along (collie x staff) and she is great. She's a private rehoming, we didnt pay anything for her and what we would have given as a donation has gone her jabs, chip, vax and spey :)

If I were ever to want a Westie pup, I would go to a decent breeder. I've said this many times before and whilst you can't rule out skin problems, at least I would be able to research their parentage.

We're very much taken with the staff nature though, so I think our next rescue would be a staff :)

Not aimed at anyone in particular:

All those people that are so vehemently against breeders and pet shops, who are so quick to passionately voice their disgust when a fellow forum member posts about their new addition, I hope that those same people vehemently and passionately do more about it in the greater scheme of things than just shout how pro rescue they are.

Not aimed at anyone in particular:

All those people that are so vehemently against breeders and pet shops, who are so quick to passionately voice their disgust when a fellow forum member posts about their new addition, I hope that those same people vehemently and passionately do more about it in the greater scheme of things than just shout how pro rescue they are.

I think members have voiced dissapointment rather than disgust when forum members have gone to breeders after being actively involved in rescue. Many of us, just dont post anything at all rather than give an opinion that might upset anyone. Having read various threads though, yes i would say those who dont agree with breeders on this forum put a hell of a lot of time and effort into rescue. Some of them just dont tell the world what they do

I wanted to add something ... yena I understand why you felt that you wanted to post since your original thread had been brought up elsewhere, I actually went and reviewed that original thread as is my way whenever "history" gets brought up since time often dulls the memory of what exactly happened, especially since when it was brought up it was posted in such a way as to support the fallacy that people who buy pups are made to feel unwelcome here or have been driven off the forum. I understand that once it was brought up you had a need to respond, and I thank you for that, you are also living proof of that fallacy, since you did not leave, didn't contact any of the staff to say you felt unwelcome here, and have continued to support rescue and be involved with the forum on a regular basis, as indeed have many others all of who have dogs obtained from a wide variety of non rescue sources. If the atmosphere here was so flipping unwelcoming and so anti breeding as some might have people believe then I seriously doubt they like you would still be here. So thank you. :flowers:

Funny that, because it's put me off :(

Attitudes HAVE changed on here since I joined, I have logged on recently but rarely commented. I certainly haven't RMF'ed since July last year because I have been upset by things that have been said. Before that I was a regular poster. But it doesn't matter.

I understand there is freedom of speech, however I have rarely stood in judgement of anyone on here, except the MR thread, as I felt it unfair to slate someone whos heart was so obviously in the right place. If I have had an issue with people's comments I have kept it to myself or been as tactful as possible because I was brought up to treat people as I would like to be treated, there is a way of saying things though.

I understand and respect the fact that other people may/will have opinions different to mine, sometimes strongly so. However I would never attempt to put somebody on a bloody huge guilt trip, so much so that every time they look at a particular pet they are reminded that they are a wicked, selfish person for taking on that pet.

My first thought after I posted the original thread that caused this topic was "I knew I shouldn't have told people" but I am an honest person and it took a lot of guts for me to come out and say it. Some of your posts echoed my feelings, some were downright upsetting, some outlandish and a few were written with a lot of thought before commenting and were said with honesty but without malice and I respect that.

However, it has made me think twice about using the internet.

One more thing I would like to say is that there are people on here that have bought a specific breed of horse, from a breeder. Does that mean it's okay to buy a horse when there are so many racehorses that could be rehomed, we have places like HAPPA, Redwings, we have Trallwm farm etc. Does that make someone who buys, say an Andalusian or an Icelandic or a Knabstrupper horse selfish because they overlooked the 6 year old TB ex racer or the 16 year old ex riding school horse in a rescue somewhere? In fact, I would say the majority have bought their horses, is that classed as double standards? :unsure:

Edited by supafrisk

I have to agree with you Supafrisk, I was shocked at peoples attitude towards you and I can only offer Hugs :GroupHug: .

Yes, I also feel unwelcome and I don't post as much, never ever will I posted a picture of Daisy, I won't have people saying 'that's that puppy farm dog'. All this is very sad, because I've made some wonderful friends on here, unfortunatley I can't help now I feel.

Best if I shut up now :mad:

I agree that we need good breeders. However, what I would consider a good breeder wouldn't be one which breeds a type of dog which has had health problems bred into it down the generations, unless the breeder was actively seeking to breed out those imperfections. I'm sure lots of those who have been breeding unhealthy dogs down the years have been considered good breeders by some, especially since a lot of unhealthy dogs have been shown at crufts and the like.

For me personally I can't see me in all conscience ever buying a dog. There are certain breeds I would love to own which rarely come up in rescue, but my want for a certain type of dog would be secondary to a rescue dog's need for a new home.

Everyone has to live with their own conscience, so it's up to others what they do.

Completely agree. I also think good breeders are in the minority, ie the ones who don't breed for conformation to a 'look' but for health and temperament, and who will offer real lifetime backup. I can understand how people can 'unknowingly' buying a pup from a less than desirable breeder, but tbh have less empathy for those who should know the difference who do so.

Both our families only had rescue dogs, so when we were in a position to do so we did the same. It didn't even cross our minds to go to a breeder, and I can't ever envisage a need to for us while there are so many dogs needing homes. Though if our families had only gone to breeders we may have had a different perception of rescue dogs I suppose.

Edited by Maria

but what do you expect from people who try every single day to make a difference, give up all their own time and energy to rescue dogs, and then people who know about the problem buy one. What are people supposed to do, just stay schtum?

I've bought dogs, but they have gone straight to rescues, I've bought a pit bull, I;ve bought a few salukis.

I have a much greater understanding of passing a pet shop and buying to save than planned buying.

If you have made the right choice for you why on earth do you feel guilty? what difference does other peoples opinions make to your ownership of a dog?

I suspect that you also feel guilty, as you wouldn't be so affected.

I've had loads of criticism for my Spanish dogs, does if effect me? not one jot, I couldn't give a monkeys what anyone thinks, I am secure in my own mind. ( I have been offered a few Iggy's from Spain as they end up in rescue there more than here).

Loads of people do huge amounts for rescue, they don't have to list it all on a public forum , and especially not to justify an opinion.