UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have A Confession To Make, And You're Not Going To Like It, Sorry :-(

supafrisk

I was in exactely the same situation as you just over two years ago, when after much deliberation and talking to ACS rescue, I decided to buy a puppy from a reputable breeder rather than rescue another dog of a different breed! That puppy was Jesse, my American Cocker Spaniel. Yes, I still sometimes wish I could have adopted a rescue ACS but as they are very rare in rescue (thank god) and because I "needed" a puppy or very young dog due to me wanting to work with him, it just wasn't going to happen (and indeed, in the two years since I have had Jesse, I still have not come across any "suitable" ACS in rescue eventhough I now know the rescue people very well and would hear about them). But Jesse has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful dog as a pet as well as a working/obedience dog, so I don't regret it for one moment!

And as it happens, it is just as well that Jesse came to me... had he gone to someone else, he might well not be alive anymore now as his hypothyroidism caused serious aggression issues which most pet owners and vets would not have diagnosed and treated correctly, but would have labelled as "cocker rage" with the possible result of PTS!

So all I can say is, enjoy your little pup. He is gorgeous! And yes, rescue dogs should be our first choice, but I am certainly in no position to blame you for doing what you did! :)

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's gorgeous :wub: .

We have an Italian greyhound in our local park, the wee thing looks as if she would break if you so much as touched her, she's only 7 months old but both her front legs have been broken and have pins in them.

Terri

There was an Iggy in Duncan's agility class,tough little thing she was and loved her agility.

She's gorgeous :wub: .

We have an Italian greyhound in our local park, the wee thing looks as if she would break if you so much as touched her, she's only 7 months old but both her front legs have been broken and have pins in them.

Terri

Having read up on this, although obviously they are more susceptible due to their build and size and the fact they can still muster the same speeds as a whippet, it is now thought that there are more factors involved, namely diet, exercise and breeding.

In America they don't breed from any dog or bitch that has had a leg break because a common concensus over there is that a lot of it is in the genes, ie, a dog or bitch mated that has had one or more leg breaks is more likely to produce a litter that will be susceptible to breaks.

Some breeders advocate crating pups for most of their puppyhood to safeguard against them jumping, climbing etc. However, there is more evidence to support the fact that constant crating means the muscles surrounding the legs do not have chance to strengthen properly, which then would exacerbate the problem.

A few morons have been known to limit the amount of food given to attempt to keep the size down, again this is more an American thing but obviously lack of nutrients would mean possibly less bone density.

Lottie's breeder advocated some crate training but it was more so she has her own space, more importantly she has at least one room that is Iggyproof, ie, no chandeliers to swing off or wardrobes to jump from wearing a superman costume - okay I'm joking but the back room has been turned into a no climb area so she is safe.

Also the stair thing, dog guards at each end and taken up on a lead and made to use ALL of the steps, as if they get into jumping from the last but one step on the way down then eventually it will become the second from last, third, etc.

Luckily Mark doesn't work now :rolleyes: and hasn't since Christmas so Lottie and Will are never left unless he goes to tescos when I'm working, if he goes to the Co-op he takes both dogs via the park :wink: Never thought I'd see the day Mr. Macho man would be seen out with a hairy whuppitt in commando gear and a dainty ginger iggy with hot pink harness and lead :laugh:

Edited by supafrisk

Oh My :wub: :wub: :wub:

As for the non rescue bit I too can understand..... We've 3 dogs here, one rescued via the breeder, was being put in the free adds un neutered (Diesel), Holly came from a place none too clever, i went to have a peak as there are no rescues (or werent at the time) on Anglesey except for a mastiff rescue (Holly came from the farm Jackysian keeps Kane at and some of you will remember the stories from there), and Eddie came from Many tears :wub:

There are thousands and thousands of sighthounds in rescue and many never get the chance of a home at all, as you well know. I think it is a very sad choice for someone who knows all this and chooses to ignore it because they want.

What happened to people getting rescue dogs on this site?

i wish you & your pup a long & happy life together.

But without wishing to rain on your parade.....there are so many hounds...including pups desperate for a home-i am sad that you couldnt find what you were looking for in rescue.

fee

There are thousands and thousands of sighthounds in rescue and many never get the chance of a home at all, as you well know. I think it is a very sad choice for someone who knows all this and chooses to ignore it because they want.

What happened to people getting rescue dogs on this site?

Laura, I appreciate that you feel passionately about sighthound welfare however, there are thousands of dogs of all breeds and mixes in rescue not just sighthounds. Where do you draw a line? I have 2 rescue dogs, one is a dobermann the other a lab cross so probably both easier to rehome. Should I be condemmed for adopting easy option rescues? If you really want something - be it a dog, a tv, a particular dress or whatever - won't it eventually end up for rehoming or on freecycle, so why buy anything?

I personally would not buy a dog from a breeder, but hand on heart could not say never ever, and would never wish a bad life on a pup so she ended up in rescue and then it would be OK to adopt.

I also thought that the refuge was non judgemental. yes you can say what you like. but is it a rescue only dog owners welcome site. Perhaps that's why it's so quiet, because people are fed up of being persecuted or frowned on by some of the would be saints on here. There are (or were) a lot of people on here who have both bought and rescue dogs but volunteer their socks off to help out their chosen rescue, are they worth any less?

Sorry to hijack your thread Emma :flowers:

i made no judgement (I think thats down to the individuals conscience), but I still say for every dog bought one dies somewhere, and I really don't think this site is quiet because of people making judgements. If people feel frowned upon perhaps they ought to speak up for themselves. I rarely post on forums anymore as I think they are more about sycophants and cliquyness. I knew that people would have a go because of my opinions. but it doesn't really worry me .

and I say never in a million years would I buy a dog when thousands die in rescue..

I don't equate dogs with material things, I am happy to buy TV's etc

I don't get the bit about wishing a bad life on any pup, poor scrap. I think you got a bit mixed up there.

am I a would be saint, now that is a nice thought to go to bed on

I personally would not buy a dog from a breeder, but hand on heart could not say never ever, and would never wish a bad life on a pup so she ended up in rescue and then it would be OK to adopt.

I also thought that the refuge was non judgemental. yes you can say what you like. but is it a rescue only dog owners welcome site. Perhaps that's why it's so quiet, because people are fed up of being persecuted or frowned on by some of the would be saints on here. There are (or were) a lot of people on here who have both bought and rescue dogs but volunteer their socks off to help out their chosen rescue, are they worth any less?

Sorry to hijack your thread Emma :flowers:

Apologies Emma from me too for maybe speaking out of turn, but I am also guilty :rolleyes: of having a bought Labrador and also a rescue, and I don't discount having another bought Labrador again if it was the right thing to do for my family lifestyle, and I am one of the forefronts in Labrador Rescue doing it every day of the week, but I would do the same as Emma and research and only buy from a reputable breeder. Not all of us can take a dog with problems but we can still give a dog a loving home

i made no judgement (I think thats down to the individuals conscience), but I still say for every dog bought one dies somewhere, and I really don't think this site is quiet because of people making judgements. If people feel frowned upon perhaps they ought to speak up for themselves. I rarely post on forums anymore as I think they are more about sycophants and cliquyness. I knew that people would have a go because of my opinions. but it doesn't really worry me .

and I say never in a million years would I buy a dog when thousands die in rescue..

I don't equate dogs with material things, I am happy to buy TV's etc

I don't get the bit about wishing a bad life on any pup, poor scrap. I think you got a bit mixed up there.

am I a would be saint, now that is a nice thought to go to bed on

Sorry Elricc but will you please back up this statement (my emboldment) with facts.The top 3 breeds registered last year with KC were Labrador - 45,323 Cocker Spaniel 22,508 and Springer Spaniel 14,899.Now just where were almost 83,000 dogs put to sleep let alone that number of just these 3 breeds.Dogs do die because of lack of homes but to state that for every one bought one dies is patently untrue.I have a breeder bought dog,make no apologies for that and never will.

I just can't be assed to look for facts to be honest, kennel club blah blah blah,

most greyhounds aren't registered with the kennel club, most greyhounds aren't even registered they are killed unceremoniously before they are 2, lurchers aren't registeres etc etc etc

just sounds to me its the same old same old of I want a dog , a certain type of dog and I will have it, but rescue dogs are OK for other people,

seems to me its the people who have bought dogs defending themselves, which is fine, as I said I don't care, but your conscience is making you defend yourself.

and on that note this would be saint is really going to bed, as I have to go to work tommorow.

I just can't be assed to look for facts to be honest, kennel club blah blah blah, <<snip>>

and on that note this would be saint is really going to bed, as I have to go to work tommorow.

Sorry but that's rather rude - can't be "assed" because the figures are simply not there as you very well know,there are simply not the thousands of dogs being put to sleep you say there are,I used KC as a starting point,there are probably treble the numbers bred of these 3 breeds and not registered,but there simply aren't the equivalent numbers being put to sleep.