UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Have A Confession To Make, And You're Not Going To Like It, Sorry :-(

supafrisk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too thought Italian Greyhound. I purchased Edie from a lovely breeder in Anglsey. English Toy Terriers are not in rescue very often and I wanted a pup, I just lost 2, 15 year old dogs previously and could not bear losing another oldie :mecry:

Welcome to your new home Lottie :wink:

I will admit I am very surprised at your choice to buy a dog but it is your choice and as you are fully aware of the vast number of dogs in rescue in the UK you have made an informed choice

I was very sad to read that even though you were talking to "good" breeders there was still a closed shop re rescue/returned dogs , I would imagne that this would ensure that anyone like yourself who had decided they wanted to have such a dog is limited to buying a dog from a breeder

So, I did my research. Then I talked to breeders. And discussed getting a rescue (apparently the chances of one coming into rescue are slim to non existent, as most breeders insist the dog returns to them in the event of a change in circumstances.

It was hard work as I felt pretty much like it was a closed shop, I could chat all I liked to them about what best to feed them, exercise, illnesses and ailments the breed were susceptible to but as soon as I enquired whether there were any older pups or adults that had been run on for showing and hadn't been deemed good enough for breeding or showing and were looking for a pet only home, the breeders clammed up completely.

It was like talking to a brick wall.

Yes, she is an Italian Greyhound.

I know a few people would be surprised and quite probably disappointed in me for going down this route but I must stress that the decision wasn't taken lightly, I did try to investigate the breed rescue option. The breeder regularly emails or rings for updates on Lottie's progress and has said she's only a phonecall away from me if I need her. I think she vetted me just as much as I "vetted" her and as I already said, she did as much to educate me as possible, from explaining what ailments they were more prone to (leg breaks, cataracts, liver shunts) to describing how to teach her to go up and down the stairs, as pups have no perception of distance until 6 months and will think nothing of jumping from the top of the stairs to the bottom.

Once again, I am sorry if I have offended people on here, but I didn't want to look back one day and think "I wish I'd got one when I had the chance". :(

Will loves his little sister very much

even when she pins him down and washes his ears :laugh:

:wub:

I will admit I am very surprised at your choice to buy a dog but it is your choice and as you are fully aware of the vast number of dogs in rescue in the UK you have made an informed choice

I was very sad to read that even though you were talking to "good" breeders there was still a closed shop re rescue/returned dogs , I would imagne that this would ensure that anyone like yourself who had decided they wanted to have such a dog is limited to buying a dog from a breeder

Edited to add, I was told by more than one breeder that there are only about a hundred pups born every year in the U.K as litter sizes are small (typically 1-3 pups) , a lot of those get "run on" for showing and the majority of bitches stay with the breeders, so even if you did get some going in to rescue, it would be a rare occurrence.

No need to feel guilty, she is gorgeous and needed a home. I have had a dog from a breeder in the past, you have to do what is right for you. Look forward to hearing more about her and more pics of course!

Edited by Brenda

so even if you did get some going in to rescue, it would be a rare occurrence.

I was on a few waiting lists for rescue iggys and never saw a single one come up. They are very lovely :wub:

I can't say I agree with your choice Em but it is YOUR choice and I hope you have many happy years with her.

If ever Will gets fed up with his ickle sister washing his ears, shove a stamp on her bum and post her to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

She is gorjuss. :wub: No wonder you all fell in love with her.

No need to feel guilty and you haven't offended me. Just keep posting pics of her ladyship!! :flowers:

If ever Will gets fed up with his ickle sister washing his ears, shove a stamp on her bum and post her to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! :rolleyes: :laugh:

She is gorjuss. :wub: No wonder you all fell in love with her.

No need to feel guilty and you haven't offended me. Just keep posting pics of her ladyship!! :flowers:

Image000.jpg

Image002-3.jpg