UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Green Dog Walkers

dirtychicken

I've just read about this in this month's Your Dog. It seems like an appropriate campaign given the recent discussions about the dog orders being introduced, etc although it was launched last August.

The campaign was started in Falkirk as "a non-confrontational friendly way to change the attitudes about dog fouling" and it encourages owners to take the pledge to always clean up after their dogs, to carry extra poo bags and to gladly give other owners a bag.

If you take the pledge, you are sent an armband to wear when walking your dog:

display.jpg

Their website is at green_dog_walkers_380x132.jpg and you need to email [email protected] for a pledge form or info on how to set up a GDW group in your area.

:flowers:

Well, it could be, but to be honest, if it was, then I think they would say so.

The photos show plastic bags, not paper/card ones, and they are encouraging people to put them in poo bins: there is no mention of any campaign to encourage councils to find other ways of disposing of the poo, or of what happens to the poo after that. No mention of 'flushables' either (I quite like the idea of those, though I prefer the paper/card style myself as I find them easier to use).

If biodegradeable bags are to be any real use, then then really they need to be disposed of separately from standard ones: a biodegradeable poo bag in an incinerator is pretty much like any other poo bag.

The plastic bags shown are not recycled ones from other uses either - I know people who, for example, use old bread bags. Not very robust, but much greener than buying new bags just for poo then throwing them in the bin.

Edited by cycas

The idea of people not leaving their dogs' mess for others to tread in is good but I must admit I thought the same as Victoria, that calling it "green" was a bit strange.

... however, this thread has inspired me to buy some of these and give them a go as an alternative: http://www.flushablepoobags.co.uk/

I saw them a while back but haven't bought any - would like to hear how you get on with them :flowers:

The biodegradable pooh bags I have are plasticy looking rather than cardboard but are "proper" biodegradable ones. I'm afraid due to finances, while I still have some of the bio ones left, I am also using cheapy nappy sacks at the moment, but I do try to at least use them in the garden for multiple poohs so it's not a bag-per-pooh.

The idea of people not leaving their dogs' mess for others to tread in is good but I must admit I thought the same as Victoria, that calling it "green" was a bit strange.

I saw them a while back but haven't bought any - would like to hear how you get on with them :flowers:

The biodegradable pooh bags I have are plasticy looking rather than cardboard but are "proper" biodegradable ones. I'm afraid due to finances, while I still have some of the bio ones left, I am also using cheapy nappy sacks at the moment, but I do try to at least use them in the garden for multiple poohs so it's not a bag-per-pooh.

Ange, for the garden I have a small plastic lidded dustbin, its only about 18 inches high, line it with an old carrier bag and deposit poos in it using a cat litter scoop and an old trowel, that certain saves a bag per pooh.

the poo in the garden I put straight down the manhole but I use biodegradeable nappy sacks for when I am out. I just looked at these and it says "monthly order" so does that mean that they send them to you each month? how do they do that if you pay by paypal? I am not good at this computer stuff! x :wacko:

I really hate having to waste goodness by putting into a little plastic bag, and do occasionally do " weird " things with them and favourite trees /shrubs.wild areas. ( probably illegal although I am the Willow warden)

Otherwise its gets taken home and put in the rubbish that goes to the incinerator.

I am getting a wormery at home. So I need to find some method of taking it home that means it can be transferred to the wormery. ( the compost is for trees, I use a regular compost bin for food growing.)

Any ideas?

Ange, for the garden I have a small plastic lidded dustbin, its only about 18 inches high, line it with an old carrier bag and deposit poos in it using a cat litter scoop and an old trowel, that certain saves a bag per pooh.

Nettie, I have thought about that before, but don't you get icky things in it in the summer when it's hot? I would freak if I opened it up to put more in and found things there. Although I do put Olbas Oil around our wheelie bin in the hotter weather as I've heard that keeps flies etc away from it.

Although in some ways I like this idea, I can't help feeling the irony of a campaign that is encouraging people to use more plastic bags to dispose of a biodegradeable substance describing itself as 'green'.

LOL

that exackery what i thought

surely, what is more 'green' than nature's own dung!

Nettie, I have thought about that before, but don't you get icky things in it in the summer when it's hot? I would freak if I opened it up to put more in and found things there. Although I do put Olbas Oil around our wheelie bin in the hotter weather as I've heard that keeps flies etc away from it.

No, never had any problem and have been doing it that way for the past 10 years. It can be a bit smelly when you take the lid off (so I do that very quickly!) but no creepy crawly things.