UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

After They Are Gone..........

K9Fran

You may find the caskets are not actually sealed and that there is a rubber stopper in the bottom of them, I know that is how we opened Dempsey's casket to scatter his ashes, only they didn't scatter because there was absolutely no wind, we did toast him with champagne when his ashes were 'scattered' at his people's new home in France although he sadly never did live to see it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We fed the ashes of two collies to the ducks. It was on the bard's Avon and the ducks were the ones that the dogs had an ongoing debate with four times a year for 7 years. The river ran past our favourite camping site ( only half an hour from home in case we forgot anything). We didnt really expect the ducks to do that.

Herself uses a pic of them both cavorting in the very same spot for her avatar. She only recently relinquished the collars, to rescue dogs she fell for.

Sadly the camp site doesnt allow tents anymore, but then we are now old and have a caravan.

I've never had the ashes back from any of mine. As a religious person, I believe that their body is merely their mortal remains and that their spirit stays with me :wub:

The ashes do not mean a lot to me either as the dogs all live on in my head and heart, so:

Ben - ex husband wanted to scatter his ashes near the canal where they often moored up.

Jake - ex boyfriend wanted to scatter them in the park where we often walked.

Emily, Bud, Alice and Lucy - by then I was on my own human wise, so their ashes were dug into the front garden where we lived at the time.

All the lovely caskets (or in Alice's case a little wooden box I bought specially) now contain each dog's last collar, ID tag, and the PAT dogs discs. Bud's also contains his harness as he wore that daily for walking to avoid collar pull on his neck. My friend was on holiday when Alice died, and she brought back a lovely box for her collar, but I had already bought one. That box is in the cupboard ready for whoever is next, but hopefully will not be needed for a long time.

Edited by buddyboy

I too have never brought home any ashes from any of my pets. I beleive that the body is only a shell for the spirit to live in. All my dogs are in my heart and my memories will be with me forever. The collars are all hanging up around the house in various places.

I too have never brought home any ashes from any of my pets. I beleive that the body is only a shell for the spirit to live in. All my dogs are in my heart and my memories will be with me forever. The collars are all hanging up around the house in various places.

Me neither. I don't need a physical reminder, although the fragment of a football that Charlie destroyed is still lurking in the garden somewhere and brings a smile whenever it surfaces.

Pam

I am the same.

Think everyone is different, what I would say to you is dont rush to scatter them as once they are gone they are gone...

James the cat was on his own until Samantha cat joined her brother, we then opened the casket and had a large casket so once again they could be side by side, they are sealed and coded so that we know who is who and we have their pictures together on shelf in front room where they would sit but when we decorate we are having a special shelf made so they can rest in peace.

Rosie Buttons is next to them with her picture and will also be on that wall on a shelf with all her rosettes, and we opened her casket was like strong glue and we put in her tag and some fur we kept with her collar in another one. Her special pink greyhound collar she loved.

This sounds a bit weird but if we go on holiday we take them with us as i always remember many years ago when i was in police a burglar broke in and scattered ashes and they were devastated, they could do anything but that to my pets... so i prefer them close at hand... we still talk to them as well and the dogs just look at us...

One thing that did annoy us immensley is we had our vets cremated locally and wanted Rosie to go there and found they had changed and sent her over 300 miles to nottingham and we flipped and i really kicked off at the vets. We now have notes on our record must be done at our crematorium, we took Sammy cat there ourselves... but looking back on it now, Rosie was used to travelling but the thought of her left on a shelf for a few days caused us extra grief when we didnt need it so much we were going to go down that 300 miles to pick her up until she came back express delivery... I know shes in heaven but I still like my pink princess and my black panthers near me :mecry:

All of my previous animal companions were buried, but Humphrey puli was cremated as no one at that point was fit enough to do serious digging. To me, the ashes didn't matter too much as he is with me in spirit. However, he is just as bossy in spirit as he was in body and I got TOLD. Casket had to come back from vet asap and be placed somewhere to watch the door. :rolleyes:

A lady in the gardening thread recently asked for advice about plants to put in a tub as she was planning to put her dog's ashes in one and wanted a flowering shrub to go in it. I thought it was a lovely idea cos you can always take the tub with you when you move and when the shrub flowers it will be beautiful :wub:

A lady in the gardening thread recently asked for advice about plants to put in a tub as she was planning to put her dog's ashes in one and wanted a flowering shrub to go in it. I thought it was a lovely idea cos you can always take the tub with you when you move and when the shrub flowers it will be beautiful :wub:

This is what we've done with all of our passed animals that were small enough to be buried - the guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, kitten :wub: As we're in rented accommodation, we didn't want to leave them behind if we moved :flowers:

I take my dogs to the crem myself and collect them 2 hrs later when they are ready. They are then transfered into matching caskets that my dad makes for me, they are kept in the lounge and collars and tags are kept in a drawer.

Oscar is still here with us in a casket. Thought at first we would scatter his ashes, either in the garden or woods near us, but in no rush to do so and once its done its so final. Each to their own, whatever brings you peace and comfort. I quite like the idea of a tub so that his ashes help nourish a new plant, plus its moveable if we relocate. Really not sure what to do at the moment, think he'll stay here for a while yet...