UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Growing Veg In Pots On The Patio

houndzrus

I have spent today clearing my veggie bags and filling up my potato bags with yet more compost. I'm really pleased with my potatoes, and hoping they grow to fruition. :unsure: I will be so disappointed if they don't! Here are some updated pics.

My "feature" veg bench!

DSCF3160-1.jpg

My leeks

DSCF3162-1.jpg

Veggies blending in with the other plants.

DSCF3161-1.jpg

And again on the other side.

DSCF3164-1.jpg

these are the ones which have surprised me the most. These are collapsible waste bags from Aldi! The potatoes are thriving in them.

DSCF3165-1.jpg

If all goes to plan, I will be eating my first ever home grown potatoes in late October. Fingers crossed.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Marge, you really are doing well :flowers:

My veg patch is feeling a leetle bit abandoned at the moment, I need to go and give it some attention. But I have lots of tomatoes coming, I think the carrots are still growing nicely, there are a few french beans, some courgettes and fingers crossed if the weather doesn't go completely wintery just yet :angry: my sweetcorn will continue to grow.

Thanks Abby :flowers:

This year was a learning curve, the strawberries were a bit naff, I'm not fussed about growing carrots again. what I will concentrate on next year is potatoes, courgettes (haven't grown them yet), beetroot and the salad veggies. My red pepper was the only one I got anything from too. Strange this gardening lark eh? :laugh: Almost forgot, cucumber and runner beans were successful too.

Next year I will make sure my planters are deeper as some of them weren't deep enough this year. Plus, won't make the mistake of planting beans and courgettes together again :rolleyes:

My beetroot have come to nothing, don't understand why, and the aubergine are still growing. My potatoes were very disappointing and as I am short of space I am undecided about doing them next year. I forgot I don't actually like salad all that much and grew far too much which went to waste :rolleyes:

Have enjoyed it, even though the pants weather the last two months hasn't helped in the slightest:angry:

My beetroot have come to nothing, don't understand why,

I tried to grow beetroot two years running and got nothing. They would get about an inch in size and then die. This year I have had loads thanks to some advice from a bloke on the plot next to ours.

Most beetroot seeds are actually a cluster of seeds, and therefore produce several beets from each one. Most books tell you to thin them out so you only keep one from each cluster and I did follow that advice. This year the bloke told me to ignore that and leave them all in the ground because beets like to be supported in a bunch. I did that and it worked brilliantly. I have been eating lots of those stripy choggia ones (though not enough to turn my pee purple).