UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Meeting With Carmarthenshire Council

Trallwm farm

We have now discovered that a regular non-picker-up in the park is a lady who has her dog onlead at all times and thinks the rest of us should do likewise. Just shows, we are dealing with separate issues here.

As this is clearly against council by-laws re dog litter can you and other dog walkers take a pic of her walking off on your phone.

its always the vocal minority that spoil it for the silent majority

btw i dont think she is much of a lady either

I don't think she is much of a lady either, but she thinks she is. :rolleyes:

Would you be referring to Ms Cooper? :unsure: She can hear you, you know :wink:

I've spoken to Fi about the beaches and it would appear that the majority of them aren't going to be affected much more than they already are. There will be dog free sections, but most of the space available will still be allowing dogs. I think :rolleyes:

Would you be referring to Ms Cooper? :unsure: She can hear you, you know :wink:

I've spoken to Fi about the beaches and it would appear that the majority of them aren't going to be affected much more than they already are. There will be dog free sections, but most of the space available will still be allowing dogs. I think :rolleyes:

Actually there isnt a Miss Cooper and no they were not talking about me because I can walk mine round the farm :rolleyes:

REFERRAL FROM THE SOCIAL JUSTICE SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – DOG LICENCES

The Committee was advised that the Social Justice Scrutiny Committee, at its meeting held on the 31st October 2008 had given consideration to a report on stray and dangerous dogs and had resolved to refer to the Environment Scrutiny Committee its concerns relating to the problems caused by dog fouling together with the request that it give consideration to whether dog licenses would assist in addressing the problem.

The Environmental Officer informed the Committee that the problems associated with dog fouling was not confined to Carmarthenshire and needed to be addressed on a national level. DEFRA (Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) had considered the matter and whilst examining the possibility of introducing dog licences, had decided against that option in favour of introducing Dog Control Orders. An interdepartmental Team within the Council had subsequently been established to examine the feasibility of introducing Dog Control Orders within Carmarthenshire, and consideration was currently being given to the introduction of Orders relating to:

● Clean up after your dog in public areas

● All dogs to be kept on leads in designated public/private areas and highways

● Dogs on leads by Direction only

● Maximum number of dogs per person: restricting the maximum numbers of dogs being exercised at any one time to between three to eight dogs thereby preventing ‘professional’ dog walkers from exercising greater numbers in public places

● Dog Ban Orders prohibiting dogs from enclosed public areas eg Educational establishments and enclosed children’s playgrounds

The Environmental Officer advised that the introduction of Dog Control Areas were designed to be flexible so that if a particular Order was not achieving the desired results, an alternative could be introduced e.g. If an Order requiring dogs to be kept on a lead was not working, it could be amended to a dog ban.

The following questions/observations were raised on the report:

● In response to a question as to why DEFRA had decided against introducing dog licences, the Environmental Officer advised that it had recognised that the level at which the licence fee would have to be set to cover administration costs etc would be prohibitive for people/families on restricted incomes. Additionally, it felt that whilst responsible dog owners would purchase licences, the irresponsible owners who let their dogs roam free, would not and, therefore the problem of dog fouling would persist.

● Reference was made to the benefits that could accrue if all dogs were to be ‘micro-chipped’. The Environmental Officer advised that the Dogs Trust was encouraging all owners to have their dogs ‘chipped’ and that it provided the service free of charge.

● Reference was made to the nuisance caused in rural areas by dog owners using the bridleways and footpaths to exercise their dogs and allowing them to run free and worry sheep and other farm animals.

The Enforcement officer advised that he was currently liaising with the Council’s Head of Administration and Law on the feasibility of introducing legislation/bye-laws to address that aspect.

UNANIMOUSLY RESOLVED, that the report be noted.

8. FORTHCOMING ITEMS

The Committee received the agenda items for consideration at its next meeting.

UNANIMOUSLY RESOLVED, that the list of forthcoming items for consideration at the next meeting be received.

9. MINUTES

UNANIMOUSLY RESOLVED, that the minutes of the Committee held on the 11th December 2008 be signed as a correct record.

SIGNED: ……………………………………….

DATE: ……………………………………………

I regularly walk my 17 - so I'm stuffed. :wacko:

I pick up religiously in places where people go, but not on farmland where we are competing with cows and horses. :)

At the beach everything is picked up.

Mine are under control. I have had only one incident in the last few years - an off-lead Husky hurtled towards me and so my Greyhound went to my defence. He had back-up from terrier Zeb and the Husky got bitten and chased away. Served him and his owner right, I say. But after being pinned against my van by a maniac threatening me with a metal golf club, I paid the vets bills. :unsure:

It's not my dogs who run at other dogs. If I can control a large number, why can't other people stop their bloody Labs and Huskies running into my group???? :angry:

I pick up religiously in places where people go, but not on farmland where we are competing with cows and horses. :)

At the beach everything is picked up.

Mine are under control. I have had only one incident in the last few years - an off-lead Husky hurtled towards me and so my Greyhound went to my defence. He had back-up from terrier Zeb and the Husky got bitten and chased away. Served him and his owner right, I say. But after being pinned against my van by a maniac threatening me with a metal golf club, I paid the vets bills. :unsure:

It's not my dogs who run at other dogs. If I can control a large number, why can't other people stop their bloody Labs and Huskies running into my group???? :angry:

Im with you Wendy so if you would like to crosspost then please do

Just to say that in my view numbers are not the issue. It depends on what dogs you have and how well you control them. I'm in support of Wendy walking her 17, but it would be wrong for me to walk even a 3rd unless number 3 was exceptionally steady.

:( That is terrible. The cows and horses have completely vegetarian diets and the farmer owns/rents the land. Dogs mostly have meat based poo which is feckin awful where animals are grazing and especially awful stuck in horses hooves.